AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...I have a few questions about forcing 1080p/24fps....I have had a PS3, A35 HD DVD player, and the LNT4665 for awhile now, and I couldn't find any concise info in the PS3 or LNT46XX user thread, so I created this to clear some things up.

#1 ) Can the LNT4665 display 1080/24fps at all? Or does it need to be "forced"?

#2 ) Is it beneficial to view movies, such as HD or BD movies, in a "forced" manner with this TV.? I.E. setting PS3 1080p/24 to "On" rather than "Automatic"?

#3 ) If # 2 is correct, does that mean when I have my A35 set to "Up to 1080p/24" it is not giving me a true 1080p/24? and I would gain picture quality from instead having an XA2 which is able to be set to force 1080p/24?

Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
1080p/24: Automatic = Off. It'll display at 1080p/60, so if you want 1080p/24, the option has to be on.

From what i noticed on my 4066 is that 1080p/24 is a teeny but more cleaner artifact-wise, but I saw ghosting/blurring in several Blu-Ray movies, while 1080p/60 had no ghosting. I left 1080p/24 on regardless.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info....Im wondering, when I set my PS3 with my 65 to automatic and i hit info it says 24 hz, and when i set it to "on" it says 24 hz...but when i set it to "off" it says 60 hz, which I understand. I guess what I'm asking is it better to "force" 24 hz with this TV or set it to automatic, even though they both appear to do the same thing?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Hmm, I've always had Auotomatic saying 1080p/60. Forced means it'll be on. If your Automatic says on, there is no diff between on or automatic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
how jerky is 1080p/24 on the 4665? I just got Directv 1080p and the content is so jerky its almost unbearable? is this because the 4665f is not 120hz?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a 4665 with a PS3, an A35 and an HTPC.

When viewing film material at 24 Hz, frames need to be repeated in a 3:2 sequence to display at 60 Hz. The only question is whether to let the TV do this, or have your source device do it. It shouldn't make any difference, as either way it is just a matter of repeating whole frames, but it does in fact make a difference with the 4665.

When viewing static display test patterns with the HTPC, I have determined that feeding a 24 Hz signal to the TV results in color artifacts appearing in high-contrast areas, whereas 60 Hz doesn't. For some reason the video processor in the TV is creating these artifacts when receving a 24 Hz signal. Although it might not lead to a visible difference in films, I decided to set all my sources to output 60 Hz and have them do the conversion from 24p to 60p if required.

Interestingly, when comparing a native 720p image scaled by the TV to one scaled by the HTPC video card, I find that the TV's processor again introduces the same types of artifacts. However, when playing 720p games with the PS3, I find that the image is smoother if I let the TV upscale (ie, I do not force 1080p output from the PS3).

Finally, another peculiarity with this TV is that although it can accept a full RGB signal with 0-255 levels, this leads to visible banding in smooth gradients. The video processor seems to be more agile at processing YCbCr signals which exhibit much smoother gradients.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts