AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung LN46A530 and i noticed that even if i move about 3 feet to one side (off center), the picture becomes to suffer, and gets worse the more I move off angle. It still looks ok, and is watchable, but the fact is that it DOES suffer. My question to you is this: when you are sitting about 8 feet away from your LCD TV, ad move a few feet to one side (off center), does your picture look exactly the same as if you were centered, or can you notice the colors starting to get "duller" ? This is very important for me because I have a few days to decide if there is an issue with my TV, and whether I have a defected one, and need to exchange it or not. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnatural /forum/post/15460631

It's normal (for an LCD). Plasma has a clear advantage when it comes to viewing angles.

I understand that LCDs have worse off angle viewing than plasmas. But how is your tv (according to the scenario i have quoted above)?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15460779

I understand that LCDs have worse off angle viewing than plasmas. But how is your tv (according to the scenario i have quoted above)?

It is normal. Nothing is actually wrong with the tv. It is just a lcd issue.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15460779

Same, though I have a 450. The image gets progressively more washed-out the farther off-center I am.

·
Registered
32 Posts
8 feet away and 3 feet off center, that's around 20 degrees.

I didn't notice any change at 20 degrees on my two LN46A550 TVs. One has 'A' panel, perfect viewing angle, another one has 'S' panel, it has color washout around 50 degrees.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do smaller screens have beter viewing angles? Today saw a LN40A530 at the store, and i changed the settings to match mine at home (on the 46"), and the viewing angle just blew mine away!

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15469151

Do smaller screens have beter viewing angles? Today saw a LN40A530 at the store, and i changed the settings to match mine at home (on the 46"), and the viewing angle just blew mine away!

My 46a550 has exceptional viewing angles. I don't think size should have an impact on viewing angle. Recently there has been much discussion in the a550 owners thread of the possibility of samsung using different panel manufactures for these sets. There has been no concrete evidence of this, but there has been some reports of the different panels having different levels of viewing angles. Check out the last ~20 pages of the a550 for some heated debate regarding panels and viewing angles.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Unfortunately this is an almost hopeless question to ask because it is so subjective.

I can't even use a desktop PVA screen because the viewing angle shift drives me nuts, other people using the same monitor will claim there is no shift at all. The monitors aren't different. The people are.

What you are describing sounds typical of PVA/MVA panels. IPS screens have much better viewing angles but they can poorer black than the best PVA screens.

The worse I have seen seems to be Sharp screens. The have some of the worse viewing angles I have seen and the black isn't very good either.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to bestbuy today and played around with the settings on the LN46A550 display model to match the settings i have at home. I can officially say "THE STORE MODEL HAD WAY BETTER ANGLE VIEWING THAN MY "S" PANEL AT HOME"....

and i am frustrated. I tried different angles/distances. and noticed that at my house, at teh same angles, my colors are totally washed out, while at the store, although they were washed out a bit, it was something that was not very obvious. What do you guys think i should do? ...btw, i have a LN46A530, not 550. Any chance that has something to do with it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Another point. It is much harder to see viewing angle issues in a brightly lit big box store than it is at home. As mentioned I can't even stand using a PVA monitor at home, yet I have a hard time spotting the shift in a big box store.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a LN52A550 with an S panel and don't have the problems you are seeing. It does eventually wash out but at angles much more than 45 deg. off center.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Singh007, what did you end up doing about the viewing angle issue? I just picked up the ln46a530 last night, and the first thing I noticed was the really terrible viewing angle. There's also a big old flashlight shining in the top right corner, but the extremely limited viewing angle has me more concerned... like, it looks different if you're sitting in the middle of the couch than it does if you're one cushion over. Crazy.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you did a swap or just decided to live with it...

Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S79 /forum/post/15633030

Singh007, what did you end up doing about the viewing angle issue? I just picked up the ln46a530 last night, and the first thing I noticed was the really terrible viewing angle. There's also a big old flashlight shining in the top right corner, but the extremely limited viewing angle has me more concerned... like, it looks different if you're sitting in the middle of the couch than it does if you're one cushion over. Crazy.

Which version did you get? I verified that my AA01 actually contains an AU Optronics panel. While there are some exceptions, most people find that the "S" (Samsung PVA) panels have better viewing angles. I saw that in store comparing A and S panels in store. But only the more expensive sets hat "S" panels. The effect is much worse at home. My viewing angles are pretty bad. Here is the post with my panel details showing it has an AU optronics panel.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=209

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidryp /forum/post/15634778

Which version did you get? I verified that my AA01 actually contains an AU Optronics panel...

The only thing I've checked is the main sticker on the back of the TV, and it identifies it as an "A." I've been reading the thread on the S vs A vs C panels, but it seems inconclusive, to say the least. I'd be interested to see if I can notice a difference on another one though, that's for sure.

With that said, everything else about the set seems fantastic. Just a crummy viewing angle and some very minor flashlighting in the top corners. Maybe I'm expecting too much from an LCD though... Like I said, to compare it to another would be great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really don't think anyone's reading this thread anymore, but I thought I would update to say that I checked the version number on my panel (the one with poor viewing angle) and it's AA02.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts