AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can you please stop littering this thread with off topic and incorrect information?
Can you???? Claiming that MKV is often formats other than MPEG-2 way off base there bub. Dont get jealous because you are WRONG. Yes I know you hate to be wrong. Just because I am "new" here does not mean I have not seen how wrong you have been on other forums. Tell me where I am wrong and back it up.

Kodi supports DTS. MakeMKV packages an MPEG-2 inside of a MKV. Where am i wrong?

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Can you???? Claiming that MKV is often formats other than MPEG-2 way off base there bub. Dont get jealous because you are WRONG. Yes I know you hate to be wrong. Just because I am "new" here does not mean I have not seen how wrong you have been on other forums. Tell me where I am wrong and back it up.

Kodi supports DTS. MakeMKV packages an MPEG-2 inside of a MKV. Where am i wrong?
MKV can contain any number of video codecs including, but not limited to MPEG-2 MPEG-1,MPEG-4, h.264, and h.265. That said, BluRays are encoded with the much more efficient h.264 or VC-1 codecs. If the OP is making 1:1 BluRay rips then they CANNOT be MPEG-2. If he's ripping them then re-encoding to MPEG-2 then he's doing it wrong, as the only reason to re-encode the video is to save space, and re-encoding to MPEG-2 would use more space. I think you might possible be confusing the M2TS file extensions used on BluRays which indicate an MPEG-2 transport stream container (not to be confused with a codec) If you're talking about MakeMKV's ability to save as an M2TS container, then it has no bearing on the Nexus Player's inability to playback MPEG-2 content. Either way, you're wrong.

As far as Kodi goes, it isn't going to address the OP's problem of having an underpowered Plex Server and an underpowered playback device.

·
Registered
253 Posts
MKV can contain any number of video codecs including, but not limited to MPEG-2 MPEG-1,MPEG-4, h.264, and h.265. That said, BluRays are encoded with the much more efficient h.264 or VC-1 codecs. If the OP is making 1:1 BluRay rips then they CANNOT be MPEG-2. If he's ripping them then re-encoding to MPEG-2 then he's doing it wrong, as the only reason to re-encode the video is to save space, and re-encoding to MPEG-2 would use more space. I think you might possible be confusing the M2TS file extensions used on BluRays which indicate an MPEG-2 transport stream container (not to be confused with a codec) If you're talking about MakeMKV's ability to save as an M2TS container, then it has no bearing on the Nexus Player's inability to playback MPEG-2 content. Either way, you're wrong.

As far as Kodi goes, it isn't going to address the OP's problem of having an underpowered Plex Server and an underpowered playback device.
Can contain, but doesnt! Get your facts straight there bub. CANNOT be MPEG-2 is totally wrong as well. I am not confusing anything here. I have ripped MANY MANY MANY blurays that are not re encoded into a different format. 15-20 minutes to rip 35GB Blu Ray does not undergo any change of format. I never said the Nexus Player could not playback MPEG-2 i was talking about Roku... Again I am not wrong but you are because you cannot read/comprehend.

Perhaps you are talking about handbrake, which is not lossless which does re encode the formats.... Handbrake is NOT LOSSLESS!!! Roku CANNOT PLAY MPEG2 natively! You are WRONG.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Can contain, but doesnt! Get your facts straight there bub. CANNOT be MPEG-2 is totally wrong as well. I am not confusing anything here. I have ripped MANY MANY MANY blurays that are not re encoded into a different format. 15-20 minutes to rip 35GB Blu Ray does not undergo any change of format. I never said the Nexus Player could not playback MPEG-2 i was talking about Roku... Again I am not wrong but you are because you cannot read/comprehend.

My mistake, I meant to say Roku with regards to not being able to playback MPEG-2. See how easy that was?

That said pretty much ever commercially available Bluray is encoded as h.264. A handful are VC-1. While the Bluray spec allows for MPEG-2, they pretty much are non-existent in the wild. Which means there is no point bringing them up for the sake of this discussion. You either have a collection of some of the rarest Blurays on earth or you are wrong. Either way, it has no relevance to this discussion.

Reply, or don't. I don't really care. I won't be replying to any other off topic posts from you, only reporting them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My mistake, I meant to say Roku with regards to not being able to playback MPEG-2. See how easy that was?

That said pretty much ever commercially available Bluray is encoded as h.264. A handful are VC-1. While the Bluray spec allows for MPEG-2, they pretty much are non-existent in the wild. Which means there is no point bringing them up for the sake of this discussion. You either have a collection of some of the rarest Blurays on earth or you are wrong. Either way, it has no relevance to this discussion.

Reply, or don't. I don't really care. I won't be replying to any other off topic posts from you, only reporting them.
I have been fully on topic, the only one dragging this through the mud would be you. Clearly you are lacking in experience or you would understand just how wrong you are. It is ok. I dont like to talk to you, or have you quote me anyway. I dont like that you are leading the OP in the wrong. Either way The ROKU is junk in regards to direct play, as i originally discussed. Dont be surprised, run some codec readers you will see i am not wrong. It is ok. If the files were h.264 (a format Roku plays natively) this would not have been an issue to bring up in the first place. Thank you come again.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
EDIT: Let me clarify the best lossless Blu Ray ripping tool out there for free is MakeMKV which rips to MPEG-2 inside of an MKV container... check it bro.
I have never encountered any blu-ray that had MPEG-2 video. If they exist, please name their title. It's a very safe assumption to presume someone's ripped blu-ray collection contains h264 or vc1. I've got nearly 1000 ripped an not a single MPEG-2 title. I'm unaware of any, and if there is I'd like to know

So can a nexus player play a 1:1 rip?
I used an NP for quite some time. It's really best to run Kodi then PleXBMC which will require the Amber or Titan skin in Kodi. Fortunately Titan is a good skin, but if you want more flexibility later switch away from Plex for Emby which has much better Kodi integration. Kodi on the NP can do a lot. It played nearly every one of my titles flawlessly, and I primarily store 1:1 rips.

It will not handle 1:1 vc1 rips without endless stutter, no hw decode available. Fortunately a small handful of vc1 titles even exist, so you can either chalk those up to plex for transcoding or do a HQ encode to x264. The NP doesn't perform superbly with MPEG2, but it played my Comcast recordings and all my MPEG2 DVD rips (1:1) without issue

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have never encountered any blu-ray that had MPEG-2 video. If they exist, please name their title. It's a very safe assumption to presume someone's ripped blu-ray collection contains h264 or vc1. I've got nearly 1000 ripped an not a single MPEG-2 title. I'm unaware of any, and if there is I'd like to know

I used an NP for quite some time. It's really best to run Kodi then PleXBMC which will require the Amber or Titan skin in Kodi. Fortunately Titan is a good skin, but if you want more flexibility later switch away from Plex for Emby which has much better Kodi integration. Kodi on the NP can do a lot. It played nearly every one of my titles flawlessly, and I primarily store 1:1 rips.

It will not handle 1:1 vc1 rips without endless stutter, no hw decode available. Fortunately a small handful of vc1 titles even exist, so you can either chalk those up to plex for transcoding or do a HQ encode to x264. The NP doesn't perform superbly with MPEG2, but it played my Comcast recordings and all my MPEG2 DVD rips (1:1) without issue
What format are your rips, what are you using to rip? as i stated above MakeMKV uses MPEG-2, i brought up MakeMKV as it is the most common free blu ray ripping tool out there. I never once claimed that All Blu Ray's were MPEG-2. However it is my experience that they are encoded as such for the majority when ripped with MakeMKV. I understand there are 3 Blu Ray formats supported (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and VC-1) That is not on point/topic with the debate of rips and roku device being ran off a plex server. The point i was making is likely it is MPEG-2 simply because of MakeMKV packaging the MPEG-2 in MKV format when ripping Blu Ray, it is also very possible for Dual Format to exist on most Blu Ray's and the easiest fastest lossless rip most common would likely be the MPEG-2 in his case. The OP has yet to comment on what format it actually is, at this point everything being discussed is conjecture. Again id very much like to know what you are using for your rips.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
What format are your rips, what are you using to rip? as i stated above MakeMKV uses MPEG-2, i brought up MakeMKV as it is the most common free blu ray ripping tool out there. I never once claimed that All Blu Ray's were MPEG-2. However it is my experience that they are encoded as such for the majority when ripped with MakeMKV. I understand there are 3 Blu Ray formats supported (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and VC-1) That is not on point/topic with the debate of rips and roku device being ran off a plex server. The point i was making is likely it is MPEG-2 simply because of MakeMKV packaging the MPEG-2 in MKV format when ripping Blu Ray, it is also very possible for Dual Format to exist on most Blu Ray's and the easiest fastest lossless rip most common would likely be the MPEG-2 in his case. The OP has yet to comment on what format it actually is, at this point everything being discussed is conjecture. Again id very much like to know what you are using for your rips.
I have used makemkv for years. It's starting to appear that you don't fully grasp what we are talking about, but if I'm mistaken please name a single blu-ray title that you have ripped with makemkv that contained mpeg2 video

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Makemkv does do MPEG-2 if you are ripping DVDs. The OP is doing Blu-ray so it will be h264 or VC-1 (and very rarely MPEG-2) in an MKV container along with the audio and subtitle tracks. If you have MPEG-2 in your Blu-ray MKV files then you are post processing them and I would consider suggesting that you re-rip them correctly.

Needing MPEG-2 support on these clients is mostly for DVD and TV playback.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Wana bet?

EDIT: Let me clarify the best lossless Blu Ray ripping tool out there for free is MakeMKV which rips to MPEG-2 inside of an MKV container... check it bro.
Yes, MakeMKV is just a ripping tool, which means the format in the MKV file is whatever the format on the disc was. If the disc was MPEG2 the MKV will be MPEG2. Few Blu-rays have MPEG2 video and were mostly very early releases on BD-25.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Few Blu-rays have MPEG2 video and were mostly very early releases on BD-25.
So no physical discs, just some online grabs. I take it that is what you mean by BD-25, correct?

I've not encountered any thus far and I've got a crap ton of blurays ripped, several old titles. I was actually curious if anyone new a title that was authored on bluray in mpeg2 because I do not

·
Registered
201 Posts

List of MPEG-2 BDs

10.5: Apocalypse
100 Ghost Street
2-Headed Shark Attack
50 First Dates
2008/2009 Taipei 101 Fireworks
2012: Ice Age
2012 Zombie Apocalypse
2013 Discover BCS National Championship Game
Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies
Across the Line: The Exodus of Charlie Wright
Adventures Into the Blue Planet
Aeon Flux
Aeon Flux (Re-release)
Air Collision
Alaska: Spirit of the Wild
Alice Cooper: Live at Montreux 2005
Alien Origin
Alien vs. Predator
All the King's Men
Alter Bridge: Live from Amsterdam
America the Beautiful
American Psycho
American Warships
And Then There Were None
Andras Schiff plays Bach
Angel in the Family
Animalia: Welcome to the Kingdom
Annapolis
Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different Nature
Apostle Peter and the Last Supper
Architect, The
Arlington Road
At the Edge of the World
Australia: Land Beyond Time
Babel
Babel (Re-release)
Babel (Re-release)
Bachman & Turner: Live at the Roseland Ballroom
Basic Instinct 2
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain (BD/DVD)
Bears
Beast, The
Beer League
Beethoven: Symphonies 4 & 7 / Coriolan Overture
Benchwarmers, The
Berlioz: Benvenuto Cellini
Best of Pink Floyd, The
Better the Devil You Know
Big Fish
Big Hit, The
Big Hit, The (Re-release)
Big White, The
Bigfoot
Bikini Destinations: Triple Fantasy
Bird With the Crystal Plumage, The
Black Crowes, The: Freak 'N' Roll… Into the Fog
Black Hawk Down
Black Hawk Down (Re-release)
Black Mask
Black Rain
Black Rain (Re-release)
Blackbeard
Blackbeard / The Curse of King Tut's Tomb
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Game Bonus Disc
Blood and Chocolate
Bridge Too Far, A
Bridge Too Far, A (Re-release)
Broken Arrow
Brother White
Bubble
Bull Durham
Bull Durham (Re-release)
Bulletproof Monk
Bulletproof Monk (Re-release)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Digibook)
Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff
Cannibal Taboo
Carrie
Carrie (Re-release)
Carrie (Re-release)
Catch & Release
Catch & Release / It Could Happen to You
Category 7: The End of the World
Category 7: The End of the World / 10.5 Apocalypse
Celldweller: Live Upon a Blackstar
Chain Reaction
Chickenfoot: Get Your Buzz On - Live
Chihuly in the Hotshop
Christmas Carol, A (1951)
Christmas Shoes, The
Christmas Visitor, A
Christmas with a Capital C
Chronos
Chronos (Re-release)
Click
Colt, The
Commando
Commando (Re-release)
Commando (Re-release)
Courage Under Fire
Covenant, The
Crank
Crash
Created Cosmos
Creed: Live
Cruel World
Curse of King Tut's Tomb, The
Dark Water
Descent, The
Destiny's Child: Live in Atlanta
Devil Wears Prada, The
Devil's Rejects, The
Dinosaur
Dinosaur (Re-release)
District 13
Dragon's Lair
Dreamgirls
Dreamgirls (Re-release)
Dreamgirls (Re-release)
Dreamgirls (Re-release)
DTS Blu-ray Demo Disc 2006
DTS Blu-ray Demo Disc 2007
DTS Demo Disc 14
DTS Demo Disc 15
Dude, Where's My Car?
Duplex / My Boss's Daughter
Edward Scissorhands
Elvis Costello & The Imposters: Club Date, Live in Memphis
Emperor of the Seas
Enemy of the State
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
Entrapment
Eragon
Escape
Explorers: From the Titanic to the Moon
Failure to Launch
Failure to Launch (Re-release)
Fantastic Four
Father's Day
Fauré: Requiem
Fellini, Jazz & Co.
Few Good Men, A
Fifth Element, The (Original Release)
Final Days of Planet Earth
Final Night and Day, The
Finding Neverland
Finding Neverland (Re-release)
Flatliners
Flight of the Phoenix
Flyboys
Forks Over Knives
Four Brothers
Four Brothers (Re-release)
Fractals: Hunting the Hidden Dimensions
Fuel
Fugitive, The
Full Metal Jacket (Original Release)
Gamins, Les
Glacier National Park
Good Night, and Good Luck
Gorgo
Graduate, The
Graduate, The (Re-release)
Gridiron Gang
Grimm's Snow White
Hannibal
Happily N'Ever After
Hart's War
Hart's War (Re-release)
Haunted Mansion, The
Haunting of Whaley House, The
HD Travel
HDNet World Report: Shuttle Discovery's Historic Mission
Helvetica
Hills Have Eyes 2, The
Hiromi Kanda: Hiromi in Love
Hitch
Holiday, The
Holy Motors
Home of the Brave
Hoosiers
Hoosiers (Re-release)
House of Flying Daggers
Hurricane on the Bayou
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Ice Age: The Meltdown (Re-release)
Immortal Beloved
Incredible Journey of the Butterflies
Ink
Into the Blue
Invincible
Invincible (Re-release)
Italian Job, The
Italian Job, The (Re-release)
Italian Job, The (Re-release)
Italian Job, The / Shooter
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Re-release)
Jerusalem Countdown
Jimi Hendrix Experience, The: Live at Monterey
John Legend: Live at the House of Blues
Killing Machine / Shogun's Ninja
Kingdom of Heaven
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Kiss of the Dragon
Knight's Tale, A
Korn: Live at Montreux 2004
Kung Fu Hustle
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Last Sentinel, The
Last Sentinel, The / Final Days of Planet Earth
Last Waltz, The
Last Waltz, The (Re-release)
Layer Cake
Legends of Jazz: Showcase
Little Man
Living Landscapes: Bali
Living Landscapes: Fall in New England
Living Landscapes: Hawaii
Living Landscapes: Hawaii (Re-release)
Living Landscapes: Wild Africa
Living Landscapes: The World's Most Beautiful Places
Lord of War
Lost City, The
Magic Forest 3D
Mahler: Symphonies 1-7
Mahler: Symphony No. 1 / Prokoviev: Piano Concerto No.3
Mahler: Symphony No. 4 / Rückert-Lieder
Mahler: Symphony No. 5
Mahler: Symphony No. 6
Make-Out with Violence
Man on the Moon
Man Who Saved Christmas, The
Manchurian Candidate, The (2004)
Machurian Candidate, The (2004 - Re-release)
Marine, The
Marriage Retreat
Matador's Mistress, A
Max Fleischer's Gulliver's Travels
Me Again
Me, Myself & Irene
Mega64
Memento (Original release)
Men of Honor
Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible (Re-release)
Mission: Impossible (MetalPak)
Mission: Impossible - Extreme Trilogy Collection
Mission: Impossible / Mission: Impossible II
Mission: Impossible II
Mission: Impossible II (Re-release)
Mission: Impossible III
Mission: Impossible III (Re-release)
Mission: Impossible III (Re-release)
Mission: Impossible: Ultimate Missions Collection
Monster
Monster House
Mortuary
Mother Earth
Mozart: Cosi fan tutte
Muriel Anderson: A Guitarscape Planet
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition & Borodin: Symphony No. 2
Mysterious Island (2005)

up to M anyway but you get the point

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
I am doing whatever makemkv does. I haven't messed with any settings.
As noted above, you almost certainly have h.264 MKVs.

You also have two weak points in your playback chain. The laptop is likely to be underpowered for nearly any type of transcoding, and your Roku isn't going to handle native bluray rips.

If you upgrade the Roku, to something that can play the rips without having to transcode you should be okay, however you may find the oddball VC-1 bluray, or something that has an unusual codec that won't play. Also you'll be missing out on some of the features of Plex, specifically the broad device compatibility that comes with the ability to transcode on the fly. But if you're only wanting to watch on the one TV that might not matter.

If you upgrade your laptop to something that is better at transcoding, you'll end up with better device compatibility as well as file/codec compatibility, but at the cost of some quality. (transcoding is a lossy process) You'll basically be downgrading your files to be able to play them on underpowered hardware.

Ideally you'd upgrade both which would give you the best quality and compatibility, but if that isn't in the budget right now, you'll have to weigh the pros and cons above to decide what is most important to you.

Reactions: Claybe

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
@fullhorn holy crap that's way more than I thought possible. I have a lot of those titles, but they fell into the "I already have the DVD" collection and I didn't upgrade

Also, just so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, the NP wont do 1:1 vc1 like The Dark Knight. It has to SW decide and it can't do so quickly enough for smooth playback. There hasn't been a vc1 release in over two years or so but there are a few prominent releases that used it in the past. H264 is far and away the most prevalent

Your options are getting a do everything player like the RPi2 or Shield (though the RPi2 won't do 265 like the shield can, it's color accuracy and audio clock timing is supposed to be much more accurate than androids at the present time). Or you can beef up your server to transcode everything

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Okay so get a new computer (desktop is okay too)...recommendations?

And get a new playback device....Nvidia shield? Others to look at???
Any PC that's new will most likely work just fine. I prefer stationary PCs because a lot of mobile devices (laptops) have gimped CPUs.

NVidia Shield is the best out there if you are OK with the price tag. I have two and will buy a third before too long.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks. What is the difference between a 16 GB and a 500GB shield? Why do you need storage space in the unit if you have it else where? Also, if I upgrade to a dedicated HTPC I am assuming this will also work with it?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts