AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got word that my local ABC, CBS, and UPN affiliates are going to be switching to a digital broadcast system but will not be transmitting and HD signal, just an SD digital signal. Does anyone here have any idea why that would be? Does it cost more to transmit in HD than standard digital???

Thanks,

Ouroboros

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
They might need more cash to get HI Def equipment. Fill in your location and see if there are any threads for your area in the local reception forum.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Same here. The local NBC and ABC affilliates are the only 2 doing HD, even though all the others except our lousy excuse for a pbs station are broadcasting digitally.

The cost to the affilliates to receive and pass on the HD signal is very significant, and since the mandate is for digital and not necessarily HD, some stations aren't buying the necessary equipment right away, some may never do it.

My CBS station has had digital up for 3 months now, but might not have HD until next summer. The WB and UPN stations might never have HD, and the Fox station doesn't even do Fox's 480p 16/9 format.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your profile doesn't list where you live. In some TV markets, a complement of high definition transmission equipment can exceed their gross annual revenue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am currently located in Lanesboro, MA but will be moving slightly north next month to Cheshire, MA. Right in the middle of the Berkshire valley. I might be able to set up a powered external antenna once I move to pick up Albany broadcasts but I highly doubt it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.