AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so today the installer stops by to put on the Sat. C kit so I can watch SHO HD. I had to call DirecTV prior to his arrival because, as it turns out, DirecTV placed TWO orders of the kit AND install on my behalf. Now before you go and think the gods of DirecTV consider me special...well, think again because they were going to charge me twice but stay with me on this one please...

I'll not bore you with the details, i.e.; how many different CSR's and layer's of people at DirecTV before I finally got someone with HALF a brain to fix my probable billing problem; though time will tell when I get my next bill. And should there be any fans/empathizers of DirecTV personnel out there, all I can say is you haven't been on their system long enough then. As a 1st Gen customer, trust me...I've been through hell and back by those people on more than two dozen occasions and that's NO LIE.

Anyhow...this supervisor starts to tell me something extraordinary...beyond belief...he says that now that I have the "C" satellite kit installed, I'll be able to get the HD signal from the networks on my local channels when the networks are broadcasting in HD. Finding this nearly impossible to believe I asked him if he's telling me that prior to the "C" satellite...none of my local channels were able to even be broadcast in HD. Figuring he'd say that was correct...to the contrary, he said "no"...I should have been getting the HD signal on some local channels from time to time but now that I have the LNB installed for the "C" satellite, I'll definitely get all local channels in HD from now on.

Bottom line folks...alot of you are alot smarter than me about all of this stuff so you tell me. So...is this guy telling me the truth or is he yet another misinformed employee of DirecTV whose primary mission is to master the art of profusely apologizing to the customer without sounding so patronizing?

PS...One thing I did find out...with respect to the CSR's profusely apologizing...yes, indeed, they actually go through classes on "apologies". They are actually instructed to handle any question, comment or whatever by a potentially ticked off customer with an "I'm sorry" and saying same over and over ad nauseum. :mad:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Nope. THe CSR was wrong. Seeing as a HD transmission uses the bandwidth of ~6 SD channels, plus the "must-carry" law that makes DirecTV carry all available locals now, the math doesn't add up.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by roland6465
Nope. THe CSR was wrong. Seeing as a HD transmission uses the bandwidth of ~6 SD channels, plus the "must-carry" law that makes DirecTV carry all available locals now, the math doesn't add up.
Loosely translated...DirecTV strikes again :mad:

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Peterson
Roland is correct; locals will not be in HDTV on DIRECTV anytime in the near future if ever.
Thanks Rich...gee, why am I not surprised? DirecTV strikes again!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by robrien
Blitz:

The way I see it! You should have talked to an Entertainment Consultant they are much more informed.

Go Steelers!
I was speaking to the Entertainment Consultant's SUPERVISOR. :mad:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just wanted to tell you guys what a DTV rep told me. I had a couple of questions for them about their HDTV broadcasts. When I asked the lady on the phone if I would be able to receive my local ch's in HD with no extra ant on my roof. Being new to the HDTV game the rep told me to hold . When she came back she told me that her boss told her that I would get my local ch's in HD if they are broadcasting in HD. But...I need that third lnb. For the C sat. I dont know if all DTV reps are misinformed, but that is what they are telling people on the phone....too good to be true.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vinnyv07
Just wanted to tell you guys what a DTV rep told me. I had a couple of questions for them about their HDTV broadcasts. When I asked the lady on the phone if I would be able to receive my local ch's in HD with no extra ant on my roof. Being new to the HDTV game the rep told me to hold . When she came back she told me that her boss told her that I would get my local ch's in HD if they are broadcasting in HD. But...I need that third lnb. For the C sat. I dont know if all DTV reps are misinformed, but that is what they are telling people on the phone....too good to be true.
Thanks for the confirmation vinnyv07...I knew my ears weren't deceiving me and yet I was hearing it from an "experienced" Entertainment Consultant Supervisor...sheesh. DirecTV strikes yet again :mad:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
The only way that I see DirecTV having digital (DTV) network stations is if they do it on a regional basis (and likely only the big 4 at that...ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX).

ie. NY, Chicago, Denver, LA (one major city in each time zone). Or even just a East/West feed from NY or LA

If that was available, I'm sure that most would pay for it. Other than local advertising and local news, network television is basically the same coast to coast.......so for the stuff that you might tune in to watch in HD (scripted primetime lineups) it would be the same as if you were watching OTA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.