AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Sony Direct TV Plus satellite receiver and added it to my Replay TV 3060 (along with the serial cable hookup). I also have cable, and it too is plugged into the Replay TV 3060. I subscribed to local channels through Direct TV, since the reception is so much better than with cable. My problem is getting Replay TV to recognize the satellite-feed local channels. For example, local channel 4 (KCNC) is also broadcast by Direct TV as channel 923. If I go to the Replay TV channel guide and select channel 4, it turns as it should to the cable version of channel 4 (i.e., the one with poor quality). However, if I go to the Replay TV channel guide and select channel 923, it seems to be changing channels, but then all that shows up is the last satellite channel I was watching, although if I hit the display button on the Replay remote, at the top of the screen it says I'm on channel 923/KCNC, but I'm not. I know the satellite version of the local channels is there, because if I select them using the satellite remote control they show up in good quality. But even if I unplug the cable from the back of the Replay TV, I still can't get the Replay TV to tune to the satellite version of the local channels.

I saw something about a new software release having something to do with Direct TV Plus local channels. I don't know if I have that new software, but it seems like I have all the other functions of the new release, such as the show extender and the manual record function.

How can I get my Replay TV to recognize the Direct TV local channels?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You have the proper software. If you bought a new DSS then your local channels should be the same number as the over the air number ie. channel 4 and not channel 923. The 870-999 channels that you see are for the older DSS systems.

Go back to the setup and choose "directv with local channels"

Menu--->setup--->change dialing and input settings--->then find where you have directv and change the setting. -mk

·
Registered
971 Posts
The newer DSS boxes map the locals to the "99 and under" channel numbers, not the 900's. For example, Fox 32 in Chicago is channel 983 but the new DSS boxes map the channel to channel 32. If you try to tune to a 900 channel, more tham likely you will get a "Channel unavailable" error message.

Like "mikek" said, go into the ReplayTV setup screen and re-select your inputs. Instead of the "DirecTV" selection, select the other one that says something like "DirecTV + xxxxxx locals" or something. This will tell ReplayTV to access the "99 and under" channels.

Not that if you also have cable in the mix (that's how my fathe-in-law's system is set up) the cable channel numbers that were formerly mapped to the "99 and under" channel numbers will now be mapped to the 1000's. ie: what was cable channel 57 is now channel 1057. This helps keep things in order without conflicts. The added effect is that if you have duplicate channels between cable and DSS, ReplayTV will select the DSS channel to record over the higher-numbered cable channel because it is a lower number. The benefit is that you will get a better recording because DSS tends to be better than cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.