AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because it involves a 24" elliptical dish since my locals are on the 119 sat, same as the HD signals for 199 and 509.

This morning I woke up and my local channels were gone on all three DirecTV receivers. This includes my Mits SR-HD5 receiver and two Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo receivers. Everything was working fine when I went to bed.

I called DirecTV and went through troubleshooting with three different people, the last one a supervisor in the tech department. I went through the process of rebooting both receivers in the family room with no success. The supervisor is adamant that I have a problem with either the LNB for the 119 sat or the multiswitch is not working correctly.

I have a Sony 24" elliptical dish with a multiswitch. Three of the leads go to my family room, one for the HD5 and two for the T60 with dual tuners enabled. The other lead goes to the T60 in the bedroom which does not have dual tuners enabled.

On the HD5, I'm still getting HDNet, HBO-HD, NASA and channel 400 is in Spanish, so I know that I'm getting a signal from the 119 sat. A System Test/Cable Test on the receiver which pings every transponder shows signal strengths on the 119 sat ranging from 60-70. Signal strengths on the 101 sat range from low 80s to low 90s. DirecTV immediately wanted to jump on the low signal strength on the 119 sat as the problem. I told them that it's common knowledge that signal strength on the 119 sat with an elliptical dish is always lower than the 101 sat and also that everything has been working fine that that signal strength for the last three months.

My first thought is to switch the LNBs first and see if that solves the problem or if the problem moves to the 101 sat. If not, I think that I can rule out the LNB as the problem. But since I'm getting the other channels on the 119 sat, it seems unlikely that the LNB is the problem.

If the System Test/Cable Test pings all of the transponders on the 199 sat and is getting a response on every one, wouldn't that rule out the multiswitch? And again, since I'm getting all of the other channels on the 119 sat, it seems unlikely that the multiswitch is the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------

Tom

(edit: sig)

·
Registered
209 Posts
there are a few posts on the DTiVo board about people losing their locals today as well (though I believe at least one of them said his non-TiVo receiver was still getting them just fine).

don't know about any solution (and wondering if I'm going to have the same problem when I get home, too), but you're not alone.

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called DirecTV again after reading about this on the DirecTiVo forum. That CSR confirmed that it was a national problem.

I tried my local channels again, and now they're working on all three receivers.

This just confirms how lame the support can be at DirecTV, that I would have to spend 45 minutes going through all kinds of gyrations, when they didn't even know they had a problem.

(Moderators, please feel free to close or delete this thread.)

------------------

Tom

(edit: sig)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have this happen a couple of times - don't forget to unplug the receiver and then plug back in about 15 seconds - it resets itself- seems to work all the time

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Though it is beyond the bounds of this forum, trust me when I tell you that DTV was doing some SIGNIFICANT changes in the data communications side of the datastream late last week. I was actually getting SF locals in Raleigh NC mapped to MY channel numbers for a couple of hours Friday morning. Cleared right up in a couple of hours.

If you have a legitimate sub, your system should be back to normal now. If it's not, call DTV and tell them to "hit" your card and re-up your sub. If they play stupid, ask for a supervisor. They'll make you jump through hoops for two hours for a 30 second problem if you're not careful.

If it's not working right on locals, there is NOTHING you can do (including resetting it though it works on RARE occasion). You HAVE to get THEM to "fix" it. The trick is getting someone on the line with sense enough to do it but that's another story. The problem is USUALLY the tiers have expired for locals on the card or the locals byte has been reset. The IRD can't do anything about it when this happens. It just does EXACTLY what the card tells it to do.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LearningMan
Though it is beyond the bounds of this forum, trust me when I tell you that DTV was doing some SIGNIFICANT changes in the data communications side of the datastream late last week. I was actually getting SF locals in Raleigh NC mapped to MY channel numbers for a couple of hours Friday morning. Cleared right up in a couple of hours.

If you have a legitimate sub, your system should be back to normal now. If it's not, call DTV and tell them to "hit" your card and re-up your sub. If they play stupid, ask for a supervisor. They'll make you jump through hoops for two hours for a 30 second problem if you're not careful.

If it's not working right on locals, there is NOTHING you can do (including resetting it though it works on RARE occasion). You HAVE to get THEM to "fix" it. The trick is getting someone on the line with sense enough to do it but that's another story. The problem is USUALLY the tiers have expired for locals on the card or the locals byte has been reset. The IRD can't do anything about it when this happens. It just does EXACTLY what the card tells it to do.

Good luck.
I agree with the above 100%!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I lost my locals (Greenville-Spartanburg, SC) Friday night at about 10 pm and got them back Saturday morning. My locals are on the 110 satellite. It seems that people with locals on 110 lost them Friday night, and folks with locals on 119 lost them Saturday.

It has been speculated that Directv was changing some things on the datastream on locals to prepare for must carry and had to deauthorize and then reauthorize all the cards. I don't know if this is the case or not, but something was going on.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I also lost the Raleigh locals three seperate times in the last three days. In my case, the problem didn't clear itself on my Sony A55 receiver - I had to reset it. The DTC-100 came through just fine, however.

All of this seems to be related to further ECM activity by DTV. As a general rule, DTV will not acknowledge ECM activity no matter how well documented on the web. I suspect that this somewhat insulates them from replacement access card claims by your average Mom & Pop, who don't know that DTV ECMs can wipe legitimate subscription cards, neccesitating a replacement to the tune of $40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.