AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking to get a bedroom TV that's about 50-55", and that is specifically local dimming (its for a dark, light-controlled environment). The two that I've found so far that are full-array and within my budget are the LE8500 and HX909. Now, I've heard the LE8500 is a way better deal at half the price of the HX909, but in my case the price is almost the same. Which is the better TV, and by how much? (Are we talking by like a hair, or a mile here?) From in the store, I can only tell that the PQ seems similar, the LG is a lot thinner, and the Sony is 3" smaller and a little bit sexier.

Also, I'd be interested in any feedback on using a local-dimming LCD for a bedroom setup. Will this be better than a plasma? The main factors for me are PQ primarily, and then looks and thinness--only because my wife cares, otherwise I would've installed a G20 and been done with it already

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I was told by a sony rep that the XBRHX909 sets were already being canned. i don't know how true that is, but we're no longer able to order them and they show up as "discontinued" in our stocking system. Same with the LE8500. Sad year for LED-LCDs

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy
I was told by a sony rep that the XBRHX909 sets were already being canned. i don't know how true that is, but we're no longer able to order them and they show up as "discontinued" in our stocking system. Same with the LE8500. Sad year for LED-LCDs
Which is why both are being offered at some great deals. They are clearing out inventory through select channels in preparation for new models (which may or may not be better).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, sounds like PQ-wise they're quite similar... reflections probably won't be much of an issue , and the zone banding I can live with. The LE8500 has an extra 3" and thinness in its favor too. Thanks guys, sounds like LE8500 will be the way to go!

Undecided: Mind if I ask where you got your LE8500 from by the way?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason douglas /forum/post/19526556

Interesting, sounds like PQ-wise they're quite similar... reflections probably won't be much of an issue , and the zone banding I can live with. The LE8500 has an extra 3" and thinness in its favor too. Thanks guys, sounds like LE8500 will be the way to go!

Undecided: Mind if I ask where you got your LE8500 from by the way?

Well, not quite; it is 52" vs. 54.6" = a 2.6" difference. Still somewhat of a difference, though.
I say, go with whichever TV one likes better, in this case.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
It's very simple.

The Sony has a better picture, if you can sit front and center, but it is smaller. The LG has much better viewing angles and is a bit larger. The Sony has better motion and the LG has banding issues. The glare on the LG is horrible, but only you know what the viewing environment will be like.

Will you have a lamp on opposite the TV while watching sometimes? or will you be viewing in darkness with the lights always off? Will you be watching directly front and center all the time, or not?

Apparently you don't care about 3D, since the LG will not do this, and the Sony is 3D capable. Apparently you don't care that the Sony is way overpriced. They shouldn't be the same price. The LG should be able to be had for much cheaper. If you are getting them for the same price, you are likely overpaying for the LG.

If money were removed from the equation, and someone told me to pick one, I would take the Sony for the bedroom, since I think 52 inches is probably good enough for a bedroom, and I would be watching directly in front and not off to the side.

By the way, for reference, a 55 incher is just under 12% more screen area than a 52.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/19529809

It's very simple.

The Sony has a better picture, if you can sit front and center, but it is smaller. The LG has much better viewing angles and is a bit larger. The Sony has better motion and the LG has banding issues. The glare on the LG is horrible, but only you know what the viewing environment will be like.

Will you have a lamp on opposite the TV while watching sometimes? or will you be viewing in darkness with the lights always off? Will you be watching directly front and center all the time, or not?

Simple to you.
Thanks for another great analysis.

How about sunlight? (I guess there isn't that much in the Pacific NW, since you didn't mention it?)

A good part of the year, here in SE PA, it is sunny, for those with homes on somewhat high ground. I am still not sure exactly how a sunny room (vs. lamps) affects my TV choice.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/19529809

By the way, for reference, a 55 incher is just under 12% more screen area than a 52.

With two sites for comparing screen sizes, they are both showing exactly 12%; however, to be accurate, it is 54.6" vs. 52", as I had mentioned. So, with the precise comparison, they show 10.25 or 10.4% larger, which is 118.43 or 120.43 sq. in. larger, from the two sites, respectively. I am a stickler, when it comes to numbers, if you hadn't guessed, already.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If money is not an issue I'd recommend the HX9. I had the LG and returned it after a few weeks. The banding bothered me as I noticed it on all panning shots (especially on in hockey) -- problem was my eyes were fixated on the bands but this may not be an issue for you.

Second issue I had with the LG was the glare. I have a large bay window beside the TV and daytime viewing was horrible. Even during the evenings where I prefer to have some ambient light (ceiling pot lights), I could see myself from the reflection ... it got very annoying after a while.

The HX9 is also reflective but has a much better AR filter and is absolutely free of banding! The PQ on the HX9 is superb and as previously posted, its motion handling is leaps and bounds better than the LG imho. I watch TV mostly straight on, sometimes one couch position to the left or right so viewing angle is a non issue for me. All in all, you will not be disappointed with the HX9.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.