AVS Forum banner

Local Insulation Options

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Ted White 
#1 ·
Hi everyone - I am looking for local insulation suppliers and found someone that carries Thermafiber. These are the options they gave me (I removed the pricing since I think that's against the rules?)

Thermafiber IB 1240 (32 sf per bag)

Thermafiber IB 1240 (128 sf per bag)

Thermafiber unfaced Safing (40 sf per bag)

Thermafiber 1x24x48 (144 sf per bag)

Anyone have experience with any of these? I am looking to insulate my side walls up to 48", my screen wall completely, and inside my ceiling (drop ceiling).

Thanks!

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Here are the coefficients from the data sheet they sent me... I thought these looked pretty good, was considering the 4 or 6 inch for the ceiling.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Main goal is soundproofing. I am by no means an audiophile so the biggest concern is not blasting the rest of the house when I'm watching a movie/game.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I have done a lot of research on soundproofing and it's pretty clear that dd/gg/clips combination is the best. My ceiling situation is a major problem... Currently it's a drop ceiling that hides extensive duct work, plumbing, gas lines, and the air conditioner compressor lines. Moving them or framing down around them is not an option budget wise, so I'm looking for a good insulation option to limit sound escaping through the ceiling.

I would be using the Thermafiber on the walls to for acoustic treatment, and I'm pretty clear on my plan there (1" mineral wool up to 48" on side walls and full coverage behind false screen wall). The main problem I'm trying to solve is containment through the ceiling.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience Bob... so even at the 1.37 coefficient at 125hz for the 6" thickness, I shouldn't expect much control of the lower frequencies?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.