AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This might be the only time I give them credit for anything, but WNBC Copter was on the scene and showing live video at least 7-10 minutes prior to any other station.

WCBS got there second and WABC and WNYW were very late.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15568952

This might be the only time I give them credit for anything, but WNBC Copter was on the scene and showing live video at least 7-10 minutes prior to any other station.

WCBS got there second and WABC and WNYW were very late.

Anybody know where each station's choppers are based out of? If any of them fly out of LaGuardia they could've been delayed because the airport was shut down after the plane went down.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15574980

Anybody know where each station's choppers are based out of? If any of them fly out of LaGuardia they could've been delayed because the airport was shut down after the plane went down.

I wouldn't be surprised if they fly out of Jersey or somewhere along the lower West side waterfront. LaGuardia is awfully busy to be dealing with last minute news chopper flight plans. Not only that, you don't need an airport for a helecopter since they don't need a runway.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15579652

I wouldn't be surprised if they fly out of Jersey or somewhere along the lower West side waterfront. LaGuardia is awfully busy to be dealing with last minute news chopper flight plans. Not only that, you don't need an airport for a helecopter since they don't need a runway.

May not need a traditional airport, but you still need storage, tie down and fuel.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15579978

May not need a traditional airport, but you still need storage, tie down and fuel.

Yes, but most are not at airports. In fact, few privately own helecopters even go near them. The main reason? It's really expensive.

Airports charge major $$$ to park an aircraft on the property - more if it's a plane in need of a gate. In addition, fuel is terribly expensive when you have the ground crews fill up your bird. Not only that, some ground crews at major airports simply aren't equipped to even fuel up something as small as a Bell or Dauphine - the truck can't get close enough with the low clearance of the blades, though a twin blade Bell can be tied down front to back to permit it.

In constrast, leasing a pad from a company that does that sort of thing is much cheaper and you get more personalized attention to your bird. You seldom get any delays due to a backlog of aircraft and making flight arrangements is often more efficient.

Finally, that arrangement keeps low flying choppers out of the flight path of planes that are taking off or landing at the airport, meaning fewer delays for paying passengers. A chopper can head out low over the harbor and manuever into airspace that won't be occupied by passenger and business jets and commuter jumpers.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15574980

1) None of the helicopters are based at laguardia - there are pletny of heliports and small airports in and around NYC.

2) LaGuardia wasn't shut down after the plane went down.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Great shots from WNBC copter..NY first responders at their best.. Proud to be a new yorker.. I guess Jay Leno ran out of material that he has to do jokes on this plane ditching 2 nights in a row.. Come on Jay give the people and the airline a break.. I thought you had more class than that..

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 /forum/post/15581711

Great shots from WNBC copter..NY first responders at their best.. Proud to be a new yorker.. I guess Jay Leno ran out of material that he has to do jokes on this plane ditching 2 nights in a row.. Come on Jay give the people and the airline a break.. I thought you had more class than that..

I am in Hawaii and when I watched Leno I was very angry with Jay. I was a huge Leno fan but to crack jokes on the worst day of those 150 to 170 individual's lives was horrible. Not to mention that he didn't even say that the pilot was and is a hero for saving those lives.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhvblee /forum/post/15582648

I am in Hawaii and when I watched Leno I was very angry with Jay. I was a huge Leno fan but to crack jokes on the worst day of those 150 to 170 individual's lives was horrible. Not to mention that he didn't even say that the pilot was and is a hero for saving those lives.

In all due respect, the pilot got lucky.....the plane did fishtale 90 degrees and ripped off the left engine in the process which had the largest arc. It wasn't a straight in landing that pilot made happen....he did get flipped around which could have easily flipped the plane. 1 week later and there would be ice in the River which would have torn the plane apart as well.

Furthermore, the Co-Pilot never is mentioned and he was just as much as a hero.

Bottom line, I used to think that Airbus planes were just felt "cheaper" than Boeing. Thursday has me seriously reconsidering that notion. I believe the Co-Pilot is just as responsible as the pilot - and am just thankful that 155 are alive no matter if you believe it was skill or luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15584744

In all due respect, the pilot got lucky.....the plane did fishtale 90 degrees and ripped off the left engine in the process which had the largest arc. It wasn't a straight in landing that pilot made happen....he did get flipped around which could have easily flipped the plane. 1 week later and there would be ice in the River which would have torn the plane apart as well.

Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have a source for this? I've heard nothing about this.

Quote:

How so?

This article seems to contradict the things you're saying: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090118/...oLg90nmFReW7oF

Quote:
Bottom line, I used to think that Airbus planes were just felt "cheaper" than Boeing. Thursday has me seriously reconsidering that notion. I believe the Co-Pilot is just as responsible as the pilot - and am just thankful that 155 are alive no matter if you believe it was skill or luck.

What does the manufacturer of the plane have to do with this? It's the engines that clogged, which have nothing to do with Airbus or Boeing.

Forgive me for sounding crass, but you seem to be very uninformed about the accident.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Beachcomer: here is a link to the Coast Guard video of the plane landing..It was a straight landing seen about the 3:30 mark in the video.. no fishtaling.. Co-Pilot had just taken off and handed the stick to the pilot.. After hitting the birds, co-pilots job was to try and start both engines..

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...ington_DC.html

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntime /forum/post/15584993

What does the manufacturer of the plane have to do with this? It's the engines that clogged, which have nothing to do with Airbus or Boeing.

He was saying he thought an Airbus aircraft, not the engines, seemed less structurally sound than a Boeing, but after how the Airbus survived he will have to reconsider his opinion.

The point being with such stress on the aircraft losing an engine and splash landing, it must have been built pretty good to have survived intact.

It's a very good point.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15584744

Luck or not, if you were on that plane you would take that landing in those circumstances every day of the week. No one died, the plane never flipped and everyone gets to go home and enjoy their life even more.

Why the bitterness towards the pilot "supposedly" getting lucky? By the way, the plane NEVER flipped. Here in NY we got the entire story detailed to us between the newspapers and local news and there was NO mention anywhere of the plane flipping.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15587066

He was saying he thought an Airbus aircraft, not the engines, seemed less structurally sound than a Boeing, but after how the Airbus survived he will have to reconsider his opinion.

The point being with such stress on the aircraft losing an engine and splash landing, it must have been built pretty good to have survived intact.

It's a very good point.

Thankfully some people get it.... unfortunately some never will as witnessed below. One of the additional reasons might be that the 320 Avionics has a single ditch switch which basically make sure everything is buttoned up as much as possible during an emergency impact when you do not have time to go through an emergency checklist, which made sure the bottom of the plane was a secured as it could have been so that water would take longer to fill the lower cargo area and wings. And besides that, even as the engine was ripped from the left wing during the landing as it fishtailed 90 degrees, the wing stayed attached, something that has not happened in Boeing water landings. The fact the right engine is attached as is the wing is pretty amazing in and of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 /forum/post/15585674

Beachcomer: here is a link to the Coast Guard video of the plane landing..It was a straight landing seen about the 3:30 mark in the video.. no fishtaling.. Co-Pilot had just taken off and handed the stick to the pilot.. After hitting the birds, co-pilots job was to try and start both engines..

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...ington_DC.html

Dude, if you cannot see the plane turn 90 degrees in the water, i suggest an eye exam. There is a reason why the nose is pointed at Manhattan and not South in the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntime /forum/post/15584993

Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have a source for this? I've heard nothing about this.

Forgive me for sounding crass, but you seem to be very uninformed about the accident.

Suggest you go look in the mirror. My source is the NTSB, passenger interviews and the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 /forum/post/15588058

Luck or not, if you were on that plane you would take that landing in those circumstances every day of the week. No one died, the plane never flipped and everyone gets to go home and enjoy their life even more.

Why the bitterness towards the pilot "supposedly" getting lucky? By the way, the plane NEVER flipped. Here in NY we got the entire story detailed to us between the newspapers and local news and there was NO mention anywhere of the plane flipping.

The plane never flipped because the plane did not get ripped apart as the past Boeing crashes have.

as for my "bitterness", suggest you re-read my post, especially:and am just thankful that 155 are alive no matter if you believe it was skill or luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"In all due respect, the pilot got lucky"

Well,yeah,that it wasn't choppy,but the NTSB will take months to issue a report.

If you think it was "lucky" to dead stick a "heavy" jet into the Hudson(probably downwind)from a decision height of about 3000 feet,and not cart wheel it,all due respect,you know nothing about aviation.

NB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts