AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Well, I can get one of the stations mentioned in the mornings, WRAL-DT, and I must say that they do a wonderful job. They run nothing but HD except for commercials, network programming that's not in HD, and some programming in the early mornings. Most of their schedule is news in HD, network programming, local HD programming, and programs from ASCN.

Recently, they've begun HD on their co-owned WRAZ-DT, running more upconverted stuff than WRAL, but now doing all WRAL-produced news in HD, upconverting FOX 480p to 1080i, and running HDNet programming during the day.

Actually, I'm surprised that their HD offerings (which they advertise all the time: "WRAL News is produced in High Definition" and "Watch today's coverage of the Laci Peterson case on the WRAL Newschannel, TW Cable channel 256 or digital 5-2") haven't caused WTVD and WNCN to begin doing their own HD programming.

What's KING's news/lineup look like, and do they do any news in HD for KONG?

- Trip

·
Registered
61 Posts
You know, I got BE in the mail this week and was going to post that same article. I for one cannot imagion talking heads in HD. The conversion to DTV is expensive enough let alone local origionation. But with the cost of cameras coming down I hope the cost of ancillary equipment is doing the same. Switchers, routers, DA's, storage, editors, the whole ball of wax. Traffic copters with HD cameras showing details of what to expect for your morning commute. Really.....

I suppose in time as equipment is upgraded in the normal evolution of things HD will sneak in. But dont expect it to happen anytime soon, except for the few that can afford it.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
No DTV tuner here yet - but the HD production of WRAL's news even comes through their NTSC, and dare I say it - even on Dish Network's DBS retransmission - it just has a sharpness and clarity that isn't there on the other local stations. Those of you whose stations aren't doing locally originated HDTV are in for a real treat when your stations finally start purchasing HDTV gear in their normal replacement cycles.

However - this part of the transition will NOT be cheap.

·
Registered
897 Posts
WRAL-DT is in rare company with their commitment to local HD. The only other stations doing it are some PBS's and maybe some special events (like a parade) where the station rents a HD production truck. WRAL's owners are gadget freaks. Don't expect other stations to follow suit any time soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.