AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feb 2, 2008. Modified thread title from "Local shop return policy for 16:9 screen (I'm going 2.35:1 CIH)" to "SonyVPL-VW60 screen size-Was Local shop return policy for 16:9 screen ...." due to thread focus changed around post 21.

(am I breaking a cardinal rule "thou shall not change thread name....")

I ordered a Da-lite 16:9 ratio 100" diag from my local shop on 12/26/07, got it Jan 11 2008 (along with $10k other equipment, Sony VPL-WV60, Paradigm Speakers, etc).

When I picked up the stuff I told my salesperson I was thinking of going 2.35:1 instead of 16:9, could he investigate options and get back with me.

I never opened the screen, it is a std Da-lite order, nothing custom, still in box.

He gave me some options, all out of my budget range, I told him I was going to return the Da-lite and get a 2.35:1 screen elsewhere.

I was then told there would be a 15% re-stocking fee.

Honestly I expected some "nominal" re-stocking fee, like $25 or even $50, to handle shipment back to Da-lite, but 15% flat fee seems too high IMHO (comes out to around $100).

Any advice on how to handle/negotiate with him before I return it?

I'd like to return it this weekend.

Thx for help.

·
Registered
665 Posts
oh the joys the the local MI stores. I can guess where you bought your stuff. I found the local stores to be particularly bad at working with the customer.

you can always try to play hardball, and threaten to return the entire purchase.

good luck

·
Registered
24,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys /forum/post/12915485

oh the joys the the local MI stores. I can guess where you bought your stuff. I found the local stores to be particularly bad at working with the customer.

you can always try to play hardball, and threaten to return the entire purchase.

good luck

Yes !

You know though, I feel for the shops since even before the economics locally hit what they are and internet sales exploded they weren't huge money makers I bet (boutique stores at least).

Art

·
Registered
665 Posts
I agree that they are not huge money makers, but I think most of it has to do with the way they do business.

Art, isn't it funny how no local stores ever come to local meets. They needed to learn to adapt and offer people a value, not just complain about the internet. The internet direct companies (take AV123 that I bought my speakers from, or Seaton) as a comparison. You don't hear them complaining about the lack of foot traffic, they find ways to market themselves better and adapt to the market.

I have been to every av store within an hour of my house during my build, and they could not manage to get my business. the main reason is credibility, if this is all you do for a living, please be good at it. Even before we talked about money, I was turned off to buying from them when they give me wrong information.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
$100 is not out of line. If you had bought the screen from an internet based dealer, the net cost would probably be similar. You need to take into account, the shipping to the dealer and the shipping back to Da-lite ($50 each way is about right). If you bought a screen from Carada, you wouldn't be reimbursed for their shipping costs to you and you'd be responsible for the shipping back to them.

I recently bought an Epson proj. from Proj People. It cost $30 to ship to me. I had to pay $60+ dollars to ship back to them...total for a 22 pound projector was $90+. It was the cost of demoing the projector. Your is the cost of changing your mind.

Better to spend a $100 dollars and be happy.

For grins I looked up my shipping costs from Carada for my current screen. The cost was $71.23 for shipping to my home. If I had to ship it back to them....we'd be talking a total cost of $140 to $150...so in comparison, $100 restocking fee is not out of line.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I figured $100 was not so far out of line, however it is still in the box and never opened, I'll just suck it up and kiss that $100 goodbye as lesson learned.

Without giving names that place is "near" Brighton "by" Grand River and I-96. Honestly, I told them that I wanted to give a local shop my business instead of a internet shop, however I also expected them to be closely price competitive and then offer me "the local extra" of the verbal Q&A banter. I got a quite decent price, frankly closely matched some of the Internet shops. As I immersed myself into Home Cinema, etc, I've realized to rely more on myself and do lots of reading/reaserch, and consider their advice as advice not gospel. They don't have any 2.35:1 set-up, nor have they done any custom set-up's with that format recently. The salespeople did spend quite a few hours with me, demoing stuff, etc. I have no regret buying there and would recommend a friend to check them out, however as always "buyer beware" and clearly know the return policy (which for some reason I forget to clearly ask it prior to placing my order).

With that said, in a different thread I'll be posting my Q's regarding my future 2.35:1 set-up.

Since I missed Itai's HEMI meet last Sat 1/19 he graciously offered to have me come over and check out his set-up, hopefully I can do that next week sometime (we are PM'ing the arrangements).

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
What about getting another 2.37 Da-Lite screen from them and they might help you out that way? Or was that screen too much?

Nate

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/12920562

What about getting another 2.37 Da-Lite screen from them and they might help you out that way? Or was that screen too much?

Nate

I asked, way to much $$$ compared to the Carada 2.35 screens, even sinking $100 I'm still saving money with the Carada.

·
Registered
665 Posts
its not that I have an issue with the $100 charge for a return, but when the customer spends above $10k you would expect better service and some consideration.

If I shop online, I don't expect service but I save money.

I have a hard time with the advice offered at many of the stores, I find that they make many mistakes and I end up relying more on forums and fellow HT members for advice and assistance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree .. spending 10k gives you a bit of leeway!

I would never treat a client like that. Ever. For that reason, people come back - I bet the OP wont be going back to that shop.. at the cost of a measly $100 the dealer could of kept your business and in 3 years he could have got another 5k ..!

·
Registered
24,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys /forum/post/12915889

I have been to every av store within an hour of my house during my build, and they could not manage to get my business. the main reason is credibility, if this is all you do for a living, please be good at it. Even before we talked about money, I was turned off to buying from them when they give me wrong information.

So true do it right even if the niche is smaller if done right these stores should still be able to make it.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex /forum/post/12915434

I ordered a Da-lite 16:9 ratio 100" diag from my local shop on 12/26/07, got it Jan 11 2008 (along with $10k other equipment, Sony VPL-WV60, Paradigm Speakers, etc).

When I picked up the stuff I told my salesperson I was thinking of going 2.35:1 instead of 16:9, could he investigate options and get back with me.

I never opened the screen, it is a std Da-lite order, nothing custom, still in box.

He gave me some options, all out of my budget range, I told him I was going to return the Da-lite and get a 2.35:1 screen elsewhere.

I was then told there would be a 15% re-stocking fee.

Honestly I expected some "nominal" re-stocking fee, like $25 or even $50, to handle shipment back to Da-lite, but 15% flat fee seems too high IMHO (comes out to around $100).

Any advice on how to handle/negotiate with him before I return it?

I'd like to return it this weekend.

Thx for help.

So you order a custom-made screen, the retailer pays their cost for it to get it made for you, then when it comes in, almost immediately after you want the retailer to take it back and just eat the cost, only asking for a restocking fee? And this strikes you as unreasonable? You could always just order it off the internet from some scumbag who doesn't have to worry about employing people, paying benefits, etc. OR...you could recognize that you are living in a society and that when you buy special order items from a retail business that has costs associated with returns, you must assume some responsibility. 15% is a standard restocking fee for most businesses. Pay it.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverg /forum/post/12933043

I agree .. spending 10k gives you a bit of leeway!

I would never treat a client like that. Ever. For that reason, people come back - I bet the OP wont be going back to that shop.. at the cost of a measly $100 the dealer could of kept your business and in 3 years he could have got another 5k ..!

Why does spending money at a BUSINESS (ie-not a non-profit) give you the right to treat purchases that they have to buy first with such a lack of responsibility? Did no one's parents teach them the meaning of personal responsibility? Retailers have to pay a cost to get any product in. If they continually take product back just "to be nice", then eventually they lose money (those returned products often are NOT taken back by the manufacturer and can sit on the retailers warehouse floor for ages, with the only money having been spent by the retailer who took the product back after THEY had bought it from the manufacturer), they close up shop, and you no longer have the benefit of a local dealer who can service your products. Now first step is for the salesperson to qualify any customer and be as sure as possible that the product and services they are recommending are the right mix for that customer. And certainly with common everyday product, there are return policies. But a special order custom-made front projection screen? Come on, this is not a $400 A/V receiver we're talking about. Reasonable people would not object to a 15% re-stocking fee for a special order, and those that do are customers who view all brick-and-mortar businesses as the enemy, and don't mind seeing "made in china" on virtually everything. Sorry, but this touched a nerve.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys /forum/post/12915889

I agree that they are not huge money makers, but I think most of it has to do with the way they do business.

Art, isn't it funny how no local stores ever come to local meets. They needed to learn to adapt and offer people a value, not just complain about the internet. The internet direct companies (take AV123 that I bought my speakers from, or Seaton) as a comparison. You don't hear them complaining about the lack of foot traffic, they find ways to market themselves better and adapt to the market.

Wow, the internet generation really doesn't give a rip about the fact that local businesses employ people and contribute to a healthy economy, do they? Just order it off the internet from someone who is just in it for profit and bash the local business who have employees who have kids and lives in the community? Just live in your own little world and to hell with everybody else, eh? Nice...Did you ever consider that while the local guy may not have given you the best information for whatever reason, at least an attempt was made, correct? The internet louse you gave your business to let you get your information elsewhere and only had to do the last step...undercut the real world price from real stores and collect your money. George Costanza said it best...."we're living in a society!"

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wallace /forum/post/12939187

So you order a custom-made screen, the retailer pays their cost for it to get it made for you, then when it comes in, almost immediately after you want the retailer to take it back and just eat the cost, only asking for a restocking fee? And this strikes you as unreasonable? You could always just order it off the internet from some scumbag who doesn't have to worry about employing people, paying benefits, etc. OR...you could recognize that you are living in a society and that when you buy special order items from a retail business that has costs associated with returns, you must assume some responsibility. 15% is a standard restocking fee for most businesses. Pay it.

Scott;

You post is coming across as hostile, I'm not looking for a war, can we agree on that?

The screen was a std off the shelf da-lite order, nothing custom, further never opened still in box. I have NO PROBLEM paying for 15% fee if it was a custom order or I had it opened and after 2-3 weeks decided not to use it.

My point was I expected some nominal fee to return it, heck I would have picked up the shipment and insurance fee 100%, was never offered that.

In the end, I did return it this past friday and paid the 15% fee.

This return/restocking subject is closed, I've moved on to studying which 2.35:1 set-up I'm gonna buy.

Do you have any advice on that subject?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Actually that is COMMON. See, though you may have ordered a "standard" Dalite screen, it is still custom. They stock virtually nothing and make everything to order. That dealer will indeed have to pay a restock fee, plus shipping costs, to send it back to Dalite. So, in one way that is absolutely the norm.

However, I do feel for you. The fact is you weren't cancelling the order...rather just changing your approach. A good dealer would have worked with you in order to get it taken care of. Ideally if you were planning to do 2.35:1 from them (as you said), then the amount of added money they would have made off the additional items needed, would have WAY outweighed a small 15% restocking fee. Granted I don't know all the circumstances, but it sounds like they aren't handling it very well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The restocking fee sounds pretty standard and a hundred bucks would be fair enough considering it is not a stock item. To me though, what is annoying is the principle of spending 10k at a store- one would think this would buy you a return without questions. If you had even considered buying another screen from them it would make it all the more insulting to me.

Dino

·
Registered
732 Posts
He had posted that he was not going to buy the screen from them. He made the choice on what to purchase, and this becomes the retailers fault? Had you been willing to buy the new screen from them, they might have been willing to make adjustments. I know that if I order a screen from Da-Lite, and my client changes his/her mind, they will not take it back. Same with Stewart or Vutec which I am also set up with. Screens cost alot to ship due to their lengths. If they are UPS shipable, there is an extra charge for oversize. It's not like you bought something that they will be able to turn quickly. They may have to sit on it for months until they have a project that will need that particular size and screen type. As a small company, I think we have sold only 1 screen of that size in the last 5 years. Most people want bigger.

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C /forum/post/12983648

He had posted that he was not going to buy the screen from them. He made the choice on what to purchase, and this becomes the retailers fault? Had you been willing to buy the new screen from them, they might have been willing to make adjustments. I know that if I order a screen from Da-Lite, and my client changes his/her mind, they will not take it back. Same with Stewart or Vutec which I am also set up with. Screens cost alot to ship due to their lengths. If they are UPS shipable, there is an extra charge for oversize. It's not like you bought something that they will be able to turn quickly. They may have to sit on it for months until they have a project that will need that particular size and screen type. As a small company, I think we have sold only 1 screen of that size in the last 5 years. Most people want bigger.

Businesses that keep the customer happy usually do well. Ones that don't start going down the tubes and charge $150 restocking fees after getting a $10000 order.

I go out of my way to not buy from anyone who may have this type of attitude.

Once upon a time, I saw a massage therapist for a bad neck. I went there twice a week for 6 months. One day, I was sick and I missed an appointment.

The owner tried to charge me for the day because I didn't give them 24 hours notice. If I was well enough, I would have called. This is -exactly- the same type of attitude.

That therapist could have got another 5 years worth of twice a week massages from me, but because she got greedy and wanted to treat me like I had cost her money - I left. I told the 15 or so people that I had referred. They all stopped going. 3 months later she was out of business.

If you own a business, treat the customer like he/she comes first. Treat the customer like your business is more important and they WILL walk away.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts