AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to a local (NYC) stereo store to see the B&W setup and other equipment and the sales person steered me to the Mirage Omnisats with the LF-150 subwoofers.

may i ask if anyone has experience with those? he claims that he thinks they are much better than anything in the market in that price range, including the B&W 601S3/LCR60S3/601S3 combination. he also likes the Rotel receiver over any others.

can anyone assist in this comparison? any other opinions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I listed to the Mirage Omni Series speakers that are based on the same technology and liked them for movies. They create a wide soundstage. I have not made up my mind on which speakers to buy. Since you listen to music you might like the way the B & Ws sound.

However the mirage speakers are very good and can be hidden away easily.

Remember you're paying the money. The salesguy makes money anyway or may be that he makes a bigger commision on Mirage. So listen to both.

·
Registered
92 Posts
But is my rotel 1075 enough to drive these?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I drive the maggies with a Monarchy Audio 35 w/Ch Class A amp as well as a Harman Kardon 5 ch amp with 55 w/ch. Neither have ever clipped. Then again I put most of my bass through a powered sub (as your reciever will probably do with its bass managment) and this is in a 13x10 room. There 4 ohm, but most mid-fi and up amps today can handle these no problem.

Sorry I don't know much about this particular reciver, but I'm assuming its a modern digital surround reciever, that would have the bass managment. Either way these speakers dont move much air below 60-70 Hz, so they don't pull much.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mirage's aren't dipolar. They're omni-polar, a variation of the bipolar configuration. I haven't heard any recent Mags, but from my recollection they sound completely different from the Mirage OM series. I'd listen to both before deciding.

Oh, and I've heard the Omni Sats, they are very nice, but I would use a better sub than the LF-150. Check out SVS, Paradigm, Adire and Hsu, for better sub options. Mriage subs are too boomy and not accurate enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by westrock
I drive the maggies with a Monarchy Audio 35 w/Ch Class A amp as well as a Harman Kardon 5 ch amp with 55 w/ch. Neither have ever clipped. Then again I put most of my bass through a powered sub (as your reciever will probably do with its bass managment) and this is in a 13x10 room. There 4 ohm, but most mid-fi and up amps today can handle these no problem.

Sorry I don't know much about this particular reciver, but I'm assuming its a modern digital surround reciever, that would have the bass managment. Either way these speakers dont move much air below 60-70 Hz, so they don't pull much.
Thanks for the Info westrock!!

The Rotel RMB 1075 is a 120 into 8 ohm 5 channel amp!! Now I remember this article I'd read on the hometheaterhifi website.

RMB-1075 review here

They can handle electrostatic speakers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Planars are much more friendly than ESL's. Sorry I thought it was a reciever, yes almost any name brand dedicated amplifier should be able to handle Planars and even ESL's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nobody's commisions are higher than B&W's (O.K. def techs are close) but seriously the strongest commision swing between any brands might be 2% at most and a decent salesperson isn't going to worry about that. You sell the customer what most suits his or her needs and while you may try to sell them the best and most expensive speakers that suit their need ,you don't get hung up on the extra 12 bucks...but on another note ,being familiar with both packages, I would guess that you probably expressed some concern for size or off axis listening arrangements that may have made him suggest you consider the Omni's...?...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just went to listen at the second (there are only two) dealer in nyc that handles Mirage. the demo situation/"room" is worse than the first dealer!

i played audio cds that i know, and, to my amazement, female voices sounded totally nasally! i need to hear what the Omni 50 and 60 sounds like first, but these Omnistats are not for me. this, of course, i understand, is based on two, non-ideal situations. while the dispersion is great for these speakers, and i may not even notice much in a HT setup, i can't imagine that using the Omnisat as a center (which is the recommended scenario in their 5.1 setup: 5 Omnisats) is an appropriate choice.

anyone else knows more about these? i'm shocked to hear how nasally these sounded in this demo space, albeit far from ideal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieW
Nobody's commisions are higher than B&W's (O.K. def techs are close) but seriously the strongest commision swing between any brands might be 2% at most and a decent salesperson isn't going to worry about that.
Sorry, but Mirage has a higher margin than B&W, by about 10%, that's probably why the salesman was trying to move to Mirage.

As for the question at hand, I've listened to both (using Rotel equipment) and the 601's blow Mirage away. You could get 602's in the front for 150 bucks more. But I would rather spend that money on the bigger LCR600 center, it is so much better than the LCR60.

Just my opinion, good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I listened to the Omnisats at Tweeters this weekend. I was really wanting to love them but after hearing the Stray Cats on DVD I was not really impressed. OK, the setup was not great but there was no depth to the presentation. I listened to the new Omni 250 in another room and WOWW, there was a HUGE difference.

For now, I sit back and think carefully, afraid to make a mistake!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Understand that I rarely would ever reccommend a sattelite speaker in place of a good bookshelf, rather I think that we would be better off contrasting them with the other (and mostly lighter-weight) sattelites that are available...If you want to stack a $650 pair of bookshelves( B&W's) against them I would hope it was because of size or placement concerns. How many people who reccommend nice monitors (here on this forum) have also taken the time to properly set them up and arrange the seating so as to have a sweet-spot and done some room eq-ing and acoustic treatment....most of the people who are making judgements may not understand some of the limitations of this gentlemans particular application; maybe he is sitting way off axis,maybe his mains are too close together, maybe they need to be video shielded, maybe rears need to be ceiling mounted...but if these situations don't apply the maybe someone should audition the omni60's for him at @$600 they are in the same ballpark as the B&W's(?)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.