AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My issue is that I have a house that was built in 2004 and pre-wired for everything (at least that's what builder said). I was thinking of installing the 6 source/zone Channel Plus or the Nuvo system.

Here are the problems I have:

1) The speaker locations are not located. I need to buy a "Wire Locator" that can trace the wire through drywall and 3/4 plywood. Does anyone know what kind/brand of wire locator to buy? Or is there an easier way to find these wires. The builder said "Show me the money" and he would do it. Maybe I should have

"Showed him the $."

2) The volume control switch boxes are already located (covered with blank wall plates). This is where I wanted to put the key pads for the Nuvo or Channel Plus system, but the Cat5 wires are not located at these locations -- only the speaker wires. Cat5 is ran to each room to a typical telephone jack location with two cat5 jacks-- one white jack and one blue jack.

3) I've noticed that each floor of our home (3 levels) has a bundle in the main rooms. I believe there are two thick wires that have four lines in them labeled "AMP." The bottom floor bundle has the most wires. In this bundle, each room in the house has a wire labeled for it plus there are Cat5 and standard "cable TV" lines that are labeled A,B,C & D. The cable tv and Cat5 lines go to each floor as well.

4) Our master room closet has a box that has all the phone lines and cable tv lines.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks!

notechguy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notechguy
My issue is that I have a house that was built in 2004 and pre-wired for everything (at least that's what builder said). I was thinking of installing the 6 source/zone Channel Plus or the Nuvo system.

Here are the problems I have:

1) The speaker locations are not located. I need to buy a "Wire Locator" that can trace the wire through drywall and 3/4 plywood. Does anyone know what kind/brand of wire locator to buy? Or is there an easier way to find these wires. The builder said "Show me the money" and he would do it. Maybe I should have

"Showed him the $."

You are the origional purchaser? If so they should have shown you the locations during the walk through.... Demand they do so, if not get a locator at HD or Lowe's. They are real easy to use and are very much alike.

2) The volume control switch boxes are already located (covered with blank wall plates). This is where I wanted to put the key pads for the Nuvo or Channel Plus system, but the Cat5 wires are not located at these locations -- only the speaker wires. Cat5 is ran to each room to a typical telephone jack location with two cat5 jacks-- one white jack and one blue jack.

Doesn't sound good for contol options then. Trace the lines back to the head end and see if only the speaker wires are run back or if a CAT5 is there. Some builders do it without a control wire, but not many.

3) I've noticed that each floor of our home (3 levels) has a bundle in the main rooms. I believe there are two thick wires that have four lines in them labeled "AMP." The bottom floor bundle has the most wires. In this bundle, each room in the house has a wire labeled for it plus there are Cat5 and standard "cable TV" lines that are labeled A,B,C & D. The cable tv and Cat5 lines go to each floor as well.

4) Our master room closet has a box that has all the phone lines and cable tv lines.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks!

notechguy
l

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for the response! I have a wire locator from HD, but I didn't think it's strong enough. More then likely I'm not using it right. It says to place the red clip on the wire I'm tracing and the black clip should be grounded. I don't really know how to ground it properly and maybe this will help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In reading your post, it sounds like you are wired for a basic whole house audio system. The nuvo has to have cat-5. If you search there is a multi zone system available that uses basic speaker wiring that you have and still give you the control of Nuvo. It is called Matrix Audio they can be found at www.matrixaudiodesigns.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.