AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told that the trees on my property block the satellite transmitting the HD signals from DirecTV. I receive the regular channels okay with a dual-LNB dish. Before I get an installer out, it it possible somehow to see if this is true or not by using the standard STB to loctate the correct satellite? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Haberle:

I’m assuming you have an 18†round dish, which you didn’t say. If so, you should be able to check for a signal as follows:

Make sure to note your dish settings before moving it, so you can reset it easily.

Move your dish to Sat B at 119 degrees. Check compass settings for your area. Sat B should be to the "left" of Sat A where you are.

Lower the dish elevation about 4 degrees, as Sat B is in a lower orbit than Sat A.

IF you can get a signal, which may be debatable judging from comments in your post, there are lots of channels on Sat B. Many are Spanish, so you shouldn’t have any trouble determining whether or not you’re getting Sat B. Check this link for programming: http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/directvusa119.shtml

I had line of sight trouble with Sat B because of its lower elevation and had to relocate my oval dish before it would work. 4 degrees lower elevation doesn’t sound like much but it can be. Sat A worked fine before moving the dish.

Good luck.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Since you have a dual LNB dish, I assume you are already receiving the 101 and 119 satellites. If this is correct, then you should be able to receive HDNet (ch 199) and HBO - H (ch. 509) which are transmitted from the 119 satellite. Check ch. 400 and see if it is in Spanish. If so then you are receiving the 119 sat already and you could activate HBO - H and HDNet by subscribing to HBO - H. To receive Sho - H you would have to install a Sat C Kit with third LNB. At my location in Georgia, 110 is about 5 degrees lower in elevation than 101 and about 6 degrees higher than 119. Also, 110 is about 10 degrees off the two sats in azimuth. You could go to http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html and check the coordinates and see what the differences are in your area. This may give you a good idea as to whether you have a problem or not.

Good luck!

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.