AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with the proper location for in-ceiling surrounds? Do they have to be exactly over the listening position or will a foot or two behind the listening position work? I am thinking of going this route and getting rid of my bookshelf speakers I am using now for rears.

Dan

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
My only experience is hearing some in-ceiling surrounds at a friend's house. He has his couch pressed up against the wall, and the speakers are directly overhead. We watched Attack of the Clones and the surround soundfield was quite good.

Almost forgot, I have another friend who cut the holes in the ceiling, installed the speakers and was pretty happy---until his wife decided she needed to re-arrange the room. I guess the moral is: make sure you like your furniture where it is.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost forgot, I have another friend who cut the holes in the ceiling, installed the speakers and was pretty happy---until his wife decided she needed to re-arrange the room. I guess the moral is: make sure you like your furniture where it is.[/quote]

good point Peter. My couch is almost flush with the back wall. So I may bring the speakers out about 18" directly above the couch. There is no opportunity in my living room to rearrange furniture so I am not worried about that situation coming up.

Dan

·
Registered
30,488 Posts
Dan,

With your couch almost flush with the back wall, I would try to get the in-ceiling surrounds as close to the back wall and as far apart as possible.

Placing them slightly rearward of the listening area will help them strike a decent balance between rear and side coverage. Spreading them apart (symmetrically) will help them sound like they are high up on the side walls and not above.

Surround information should appear to come from around you (sides and rear) rather than overhead.

Also, try to find in-ceiling speakers with pointable tweeters that can be aimed at the listening area to help with surround imaging.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.