AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the wiring stage of my basement HT, one thing I've never seen discussed is how far apart to make the video connection in the ceiling from the electical outlet. Surely with pj mounts on a pole with cable running up the center, the video cables are running exactly parallel to the electrical ?

I'd appreciate any advice on how folks have terminated electrical/video wiring at the pj.

Cheers.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Paraphrased from EIA/TIA-569A, Pathways and Spaces Standard:

Quote:
Voice and data telecommunications cabling should not be run adjacent and parallel to power cabling-even along short distances-unless one or both cable types are shielded and grounded. For low-voltage communication cables, a minimum 5-inch distance is required from any fluorescent lighting fixture or power line over 2 kVA and up to 24 inches from any power line over 5 kVA*. In general, telecommuni-cations cabling is routed separately, or several feet away from power cabling

Translated, this means you should try to maintain at least a 5 inch distance between power and audio/video as the load limit for a 20A circuit (80% load per NEC) is less than 2 kVA. Further is always better, if you cannot avoid doing this, at least minimize the length that they run together and ensure the audio/video cable is a shielded model.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
floydman

If you have a PJ in mind run the power and signals to the appropriate sides and that should keep you plenty far apart. I would stay 12-18" apart if you can.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim & Mysphyt - thanks, don't quite know which pj yet, I'll terminate video and electrical 14 inches apart for now but try and decide on a projector (is it just me or is this a really, really difficult decision for everyone ?) before I hang the ceiling drywall.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.