AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pioneer HD610 locks any component 480p or above input into the "full" mode. On non anamorphic DVD's this is a disaster and I have to revert to interlace. Yet my HDTV broadcasts from the SONY HD100 are all fine.

Does anyone know yet if the output of the JVC DVHS will have the same ill effects of my progressive scan DVD player? I have the Pioneer 47a with no built in scaler....

· Registered
13,761 Posts
If you are playing a D-Theater tape, then yes. But all that will be 16X9, so no need to worry about it.

· Registered
953 Posts
I assume this means that the component outputs of the JVC 30000 do not provide aspect ratio support for 4:3 HDTV sets that cannot do a vertical raster squeeze. In other words, objects on those sets will appear tall and skinny when a D-Theater tape is played. The DTC-100 and the Hipix card both have aspect ratio support for 4:3 sets.

If the lack of aspect ratio support is true, it's another case of caveat emptor "buyer beware." Fortunately, my 4:3 set can do the raster squeeze, but I prefer to have the option of controlling the aspect ratio from the playback device.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gridleak
The video setup menu on the 30k and 30kU does contain a 4:3/16:9 monitor selection.
This does not seem to affect HD output though, which is always output at native aspect ratio.

· Registered
953 Posts
Since the native HD signal is 16:9 anamorphically squeezed (like most DVD's), then I assume that the JVC 30k HD component playback on a 4:3 set will result in a tall and skinny display, unless the set has raster squeeze capabilities. Is this correct?

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stjr
Since the native HD signal is 16:9 anamorphically squeezed (like most DVD's), then I assume that the JVC 30k HD component playback on a 4:3 set will result in a tall and skinny display, unless the set has raster squeeze capabilities. Is this correct?
Correct.

Leszek

· Registered
114 Posts
If your 4:3-TV is supposed to be HDTV-ready it MUST have a 16:9-squeeze-mode. If not it's no HDTV ...

Or am I wrong on that one?

That the 4:3-HDTV has no full-mode for 480p is really not OK. Even though, it's common sense (at least here ;-) ) that DVD's should always be anamorphic. Maybe wishful thinking got the engineers carried away.

OTOH what about IMAX which is native 4:3? Or 'older' TV-soaps on DVD? Or classics like Casablanca?

Could it be that the TV is a bit older? It was not common or really foreseeable that DVD-players would have progressive outputs. So the manufactorer might not have been able to implement that.

· Registered
953 Posts
I have not been following the RPTV market that closely lately, but some of RCA 4:3 "HD capable" sets did not have a raster squeeze. They relied on the DTC-100 STB to letterbox or crop HD programs to fit the screen.

I prefer to avoid the sqeeze mode on many occasions with my 4:3 RPTV, because much of the HD programming contains bright white lines (probably sync information) just outside the border of the 16:9 image. These lines are hidden in the overscan in the 4:3 modes, but are visible on my set if I enter the squeeze mode (Philips 60pp9601).

I'm willing to sacrifice some resolution to avoid burn-in. Hopefully these white lines are not present on D-Theater tapes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.