AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thick door built for my HT in progress - 1 3/4" slab with two 1/2" layers of MDF with GG between on the hall side,for 2 3/4" total thickness:

Without doing any investigation, my intent was to use a keyed entry knob that matches our existing Schlage hardware by having the center pin extended:

After talking to a few locksmiths, it seems my assumption that the center pin could simply be extended was bad
They say that it is very unlikely that a Schlage or other cylindrical lock can be extended. Maybe a mortise type lock, which is $$$.

One of the folks I talked to suggested a Baldwin Estate passage knob with a deadbolt recessed into the MDF. Apparently with the Baldwin knob only a pencil sized hole is drilled through the door - good for soundproofing and easy to extend. I believe there may be deadbolts that support a thick door, but I hate to put another big hole in the door from a soundproofing perspective.

I see that Emtek makes passage knobs that support doors up to 3" thick, but I haven't been able to determine whether their keyed knobs support that thickness. Even if they do, I"m guessing that the latch may be centered on the door thickness. I think the latch will need to be offset to the theater side so that the hole is bored into the 1 3/4" slab door only to avoid drilling into the two MDF layers (my thought that boring into the MDF won't work coudl be wrong).

Has anyone found a locking solution for a thick door?

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys have keyed knobs on your theaters (normal or thick door)? I want to be able to lock the door because:
  • I have a 3.5 year old with another on the way this month and would like to keep unsupervised kids out. I could see bad things happening to my SMX ProCurv!
  • In the event of a break in, the keyed knob could keep the theater safe long enough for our monitored alarm response.

Thanks!

DD

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
DD, it's fairly easy to extend your door knob/lock. I have some pics of how I did mine in this post .

The important part it making sure the handles don't twist relative to each other -- I accomplished this by gluing a plug into the handle cutout. This also helped with soundproofing..

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.