AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a new installation of win XP full home version from scratch thus cleaning my HD etc. I did this because I was having continuous and worsening lockup problems. 850 pentium 3 AVS HTPC

Upon installing windows section It locks up every time on "Installing Devices". Can't figure out what's wrong. any ideas? Do I need to remove some hardware to perform the install?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
--Do I need to remove some hardware to perform the install?--

Not a bad idea, but most lockups in XP are due to bad RAM or bad power from the power supply.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would remove all hardware except that needed to boot & install (keyboard, mouse, video card, etc.) do the install then one by one reinstall all removed hardware.....

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Tryg,

Post your hardware configuration. Apparently one of your devices is malfunctioning. Try to disconnect everything non-essential, repeat installation and then start to add yor devices one-by-one.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys i WILL remove everything and try again.

How would you diagnose if it was because of bad RAM?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Tryg --

I didn't know that you ventured out of the screen forum.

I agree with advice from xstanbox to strip your PC to the minimum, as long as that still allows you to access the internet (so you can easily update WinXP and get up-to-date drivers).

Flip side of the issue -- did you recently add anything to your box that might not be playing nicely with the other children?

e.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have an old geforce1 that i use to install xp because with my gf3 or my radeon8500 xp install will lock up. put the old card in and xp installs just fine (dunno why) and swap out cards afterwards. maybe you have that same kind of strange problem.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got 3 diffent OS installed on the computer. XP pro, then 98, then XP home. They all do the same thing. After about a minute they lock up (usually when opening a folder or something). The HD has been swept 3 times.

I'm starting to believe this is some kind of hardware issue. I have interchanged, taken out, and fiddled with the memory cards but the behavior doesn't change. Still locks up randomly.

Could this be a motherboard or processor problem?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
what about video card? did you try straight VGA mode (640x480, 256 colors) and got the same behavior?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This thing is locking up just clicking on thing in the desktop. I doubt I could even get into the Vid card settings before it locks up

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
It does sound hardware related, and memory is a common cause of this. Can you borrow some from another pc that works fine?

What make of Hard drive is it? Can you try another? With hard drive prices being so cheap now, you could buy a new one, and try installing on that. Whatever happens, you'll have extra storage for vobs and screen test data. :)

Another thought - is the heatsink on the processor correctly, and is the fan running OK? When you boot up, go into bios and look at the temps (if your board has that capability), and see what they're running at. If the HS or fan are the problem you'll see the temp rise quite noticably. If it's heat related, the fan is more likely to be the culprit as I've not known a HS to come loose before.

Gary.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
It sounds like a hw problem to me, too.

So I am not quite sure if this helps pinpointing the problem but have you tried booting in Safe Mode (F8) to see if the problem persists?

____

Axel

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
reposted:

--Do I need to remove some hardware to perform the install?--

Not a bad idea, but most lockups in XP are due to bad RAM or bad power from the power supply.

--How would you diagnose if it was because of bad RAM?--

Memory tester:

http://www.memtest86.com/

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Tryg, when you say wiped clean, do you mean that you deleted all data or reformatted the harddrive? When you are installing the OS (for XP) are you deleting and recreating the partition? If not do that also.

As for the HW, was it working before or is this with some new hardware?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Tryg:

Hit F8 before XP boot screen starts. Select VGA mode from the options on black screen. See what happens. Really simple. If it doesn't lock anymore, i's your video card.

I presume CPU fan is working fine, right?:)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CPU fan works great!:D

I got fed up and went down to local PC store. They did a quick diagnosis and presume it's probably the motherboard.

I just bought a new board, 1.9 processor and memory for just over $200 so I'll slap that in and see what happens. Thanks guys for all the help!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Sorry Tryg. They parted you w/$200. But that's OK as long as you are happy. Did you try VGA mode?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.