AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My upgraded replay has been lockup prone since day one. I thought it was heat related but I am beginning to wonder. Today it locked up again and when I turned it on it started to come up but then stopped short and double beeped. After that it would double beep every time I tried to soft reboot. Unplugging seems to work OK to get it working, but this is really annoying. I'm going to repatch it as soon as this seasons shows are off it but I don't want to make the same mistake again. Anybody know what the double beep means?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The beep should be coming from Your Maxtor drive. Neither Maxtor or Replay incorporate audible tones so you have something unusual going on with the drive.

Time to test the drive with powermax or call Maxtor support and tell them about the beeps. They may send you an advance replacement drive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an audible tone. There is no doubt that it is a puposeful beep, not a squeak or anything like that.

I can test the drive without losing data right? I have a whole season of NYPD Blue, and the last 12 episodes of 24 on this thing.

If Maxtor were to send me a new drive how reliable is the copying of the show data? I've read that it can be a hit or miss operation.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I've read several posts concerning beeps and I'm reasonably certain it is a rubbing of some sort inside the drive. Some folks claim their PC drive makes that noise but continues to perform normally. Drives are not engineered to beep. If there is a speaker/beeper on the replay motherboard it's news to me.

Powermax will warn you if the test is destructive before running. Low level format will destroy all data on the disk so stay away from that one.

If you get a replacement drive you can copy the system partition and shows over to it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I am intermittently experiencing this also in a Showstopper. It is definitely an electronic beep noise. It is almost like a beeper doing a single beep. Sometimes its every minute when it happens and the only way to get it to stop is to unplug the unit. I have searched the forum and it looks like one or two people have experienced this a while back but I did not see a resolution. When it happens it seems like the hard drive is not spinning up. I can't find a speaker unless there something inside the hard drive. Hey if they can put a speaker inside a greeting card there can be one inside a hard drive. I have been trying to look for a pattern to when it happens. I suspect the hard drive so after I get a 4500 a will swap out the hard drive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is one of the two (HD or Replay) trying to tell me something. As GadgetGuy said it is an electronic beep, or sounds exactly like one.

If I call Maxtor and tell them I have this drive installed in a replaytv will they say that voids the warranty? It's only a year old with a 3 year warranty.

As for copying the shows over; I know you can but is it reliable. I think on one of the hacking web sites it claims that copying your show diminishes your chance of having a succesful upgrade. My thinking is since I can hard boot it I'll just keep doing that until all the shows have been watched. Then I'll repatch or replace the drive.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Maxtor doesn't care what computer the drive is in. I've advanced replaced an 80 gig because is was noisy and I told support what the drive was used for.

If you are using the same size drive you can copy the contents using linux dd commands as well as the RTVPatch. Always safer to watch the shows before working with the drive but the RTVPatch does show what drive is what when copying over to new drive.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Wasatch, its what I would call a single two tone beep that I think you are calling a double beep. When it has happened it would happen the first time I would turn on the unit that day. At first I suspected a memory issue during the nightly connect. I have not put large clusters on this unit yet. Now I am fairly sure everything will be fine after I replace the Hard Drive. Once the hard spins up the noise goes away and everything is fine. Although I did once or twice have a weird thing happen, it was that I found the hard drive spinning when the unit was off. Like it never spun down after the nightly connect. I have not had any problems in a few days. It was never really a big deal I would just unplug for a minute and plug it back in. The days have been warm and the nights have been cold around here around the time this was happening. I wonder if it can be a platter warping or sticking issue in the drive due to temperature changes.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My maxtor beeps when it is spinning up.. especially if it has been off a while.. I had a maxtor in my pc that did the same thing.. I think it's a "feature" to the maxtor drives.. I don't know what it means though...

Oh and the maxtor in my showstopper is new, before I installed it, I ran the all the diagnostics on the POWERMAX utilities.. full sector testing the works.. so I am pretty sure the drive is ok, ...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bixit219
My maxtor beeps when it is spinning up.. especially if it has been off a while.. I had a maxtor in my pc that did the same thing.. I think it's a "feature" to the maxtor drives.. I don't know what it means though...

Oh and the maxtor in my showstopper is new, before I installed it, I ran the all the diagnostics on the POWERMAX utilities.. full sector testing the works.. so I am pretty sure the drive is ok, ...
OK here it is the deal on beeping straight from Maxtor www.maxtor.com (Sorry the exact link to this will not work)

Copied from master web sight.

High-pitched whining sound can be an indication of abnormal function.

Noises can be caused by mounting issues. This is due to either a high frequency vibration in the mounting hardware, or a potential drive failure.

Repeated, regular tapping, grinding or beeping. *****There are no Maxtor hard drives designed to emit beep codes when failing.***** Some failure mechanisms may make a regular repeating beep, but it is not a beep code. If a drive failure is possible, it is always important to make an immediate backup.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's not a high pitched whine, grinding or anything like that, I know what that sounds like,, I had a hard disk eat itself once before..

It sounds like when my pager's battery is low..

I want to say they have some kinda thing called S.M.A.R.T in their drives, maybe it's that..

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Bixit219, Just give those beeping drives a whack and straighten em out!:D :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm.......makes you wonder about Maxtor drives. I've always heard good things about them in the past but...maybe a couple of WDs for the 240 hr upgrade on my other Replay.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I feel pretty good about Maxtor. What drive doesn't have some failures?

I don't like the seeking noise from WD and their reliability is still in question with me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
I feel pretty good about Maxtor. What drive doesn't have some failures?

I don't like the seeking noise from WD and their reliability is still in question with me.
I would've agreed with you until this drive started acting up. I've now had one WD fail and one Maxtor show syptoms.

Do you think disabling spindown would help. If it's a spinup problem as suggested by the Yahoo post it might prevent lockups. However if its a lubrication problem it might hasten the failure. Hmmm.....I know I'll flip a coin.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I think disabling disk spindown is a good idea. Furthermore that is how I like to setup my Showstopper. Press "on" and the unit is alive, vs waiting for the disk to spinup.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I haven't had a problem with the beeping and spin ups, yes it beeps but it always seems to kick on.. (knock on wood ;) ) ,

However if it does croak, now i know how to fix it!!!

Only minor disturbing thing is this drive has beeped since day one more or less (that was 7 months ago..)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Even though I suspect the drive is the problem I believe Maxtor drives are really reliable overall. We will hear more about Maxtor failures because most Replay upgrades are done with Maxtors. My company has thousands of computers. Most of them have Maxtor drives. Hard drive failures are not common.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been getting the double beeps also. The double beeps sound remarkably like the error post beep you get when booting a PC with bad memory. The sound may be mechanical but it sure does not sound like it.

In the last couple months I have had to do a hard reboot four or five times. This is a Showstopper 1000 with the Maxtor upgrade. :confused:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.