AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody experiencing trouble with lockups? I was playing Resistance online and suddenly the game froze - not just my controller as sometimes happens but the whole game. Holding the PS button made the sounds like the menu was coming up but it didn't come on screen. I have logged a lot of hours with Resistance online and this is the first time I've run into this problem, an hour after downloading 1.5. Anybody else have a similar experience, with or without the update?

·
Registered
810 Posts
played few games, didnt have issues, but not resistance...

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 360 was bricked by Microsoft's latest upgrade so I am frightened to download this. LOL

Had it at launch, never had a problem up until that upgrade. I love the new consoles and the upgrades available to address issues and whatnot, but man - these companies gotta make sure nothing is gonna be broke by them!

·
Registered
112 Posts
then i started playing Sleepy Hollow and every 20 min or so it would get stuck on a frame for 10-20 seconds. I would fool with it a little and it started playing again. It wasn't the disc, if I rewound it, it played again fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Watched 'Enemy of the State' last night after updating. No problems with that...

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I played about 30 minutes of Resistance yesterday afternoon with no lockups. I upgraded to 1.5 firmware earlier that morning. I watched Enemy of the State in the evening and had no problems.

Is your PS3 properly ventilated? Have you had freezes/lockups before the update?

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLove23 /forum/post/0

My 360 was bricked by Microsoft's latest upgrade so I am frightened to download this. LOL

Had it at launch, never had a problem up until that upgrade. I love the new consoles and the upgrades available to address issues and whatnot, but man - these companies gotta make sure nothing is gonna be broke by them!

i never saw reports of PS3 bricking, and we had 4-5 updates so far... it takes pretty poorly designed system to brick on update

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can I ask newbie question? I have a ps3 but it not hooked up to a computer-different rooms. I want to update my ps3 and don't know how. Can anyone please help? I have a USB Flash drive and can download the update but how do I update the ps3? Please help a newbie!

·
Registered
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bORNZO /forum/post/0

Can I ask newbie question? I have a ps3 but it not hooked up to a computer-different rooms. I want to update my ps3 and don't know how. Can anyone please help? I have a USB Flash drive and can download the update but how do I update the ps3? Please help a newbie!

Go to the following page (below) and follow the instructions on creating a folder on your USB drive. Then download the update to the proper folder. If you do not name the folders as it tells you, the PS3 will not recognize the update. (In the menu system of the PS3 in an update system link. Tell it to update from the USB and it will.

Here is the link: http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/ne...html#update_PC

Hope this helps

·
Registered
572 Posts
after updating, i played resistance for 1.5 hrs without issue...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

i never saw reports of PS3 bricking, and we had 4-5 updates so far... it takes pretty poorly designed system to brick on update

It's a Microsoft product. I'm no longer surprised by updates blowing up systems.

My company's parent company deactivated the Automatic Windows Update so that they can run tests on all updates to make sure it won't kill any of the systems the company distributes to its employees.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/0

It's a Microsoft product. I'm no longer surprised by updates blowing up systems.

My company's parent company deactivated the Automatic Windows Update so that they can run tests on all updates to make sure it won't kill any of the systems the company distributes to its employees.

Updated last night with no problems.

I agree about Microsoft, I love my 360 but it seems like their products are less than stable. Windows 98 - I still have nightmares about the constant crashing, LOL. To their credit, I bought the Xbox on launch day and they are replacing it free of charge. First time I've ever had a problem with it, hopefully the last.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Feels like something is definitely up. I've now had the same freeze happen 3 or 4 times on Resistance since the update, never happened before it (and i logged a LOT of hours). I guess I'm the only one though. Always when I'm having a great game too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have also been having some resistance freezing issues. This has been the only freezing issue with my ps3, meaning it never freezes doing anything else. The ps3 never gets too hot. The problem only occurs playing online. One of the online issues is the exact same issue described here, where the game freezes at random points (for me it usually occurs right when I start to play a game). Sometimes when I press the PS button the menu pops up, other times it does not, but I can always hear the "pop up" sound of the menu.

The other freezing issue occurs when I join a ranked game (free for all or team based). Every so often (maybe once in an hour), when I try to join a ranked game, the JOINING box with the rotating star just keeps spinning, and there is no way to get out of it. After about 5 minutes or so, an error screen finally appears telling me I couldn't join for some reason. I must say it is a stressful period during those first few seconds with the rotating star! I guess technically it's not really a freezing issue, but it falls in the same category. I was thinking it could be a router issue possibly, but I am doubting it because once I am in game everything is fine. I did notice, however, that this problem only started occuring after the RESISTANCE update, NOT the 1.5 update. Anyone else getting a problem related to this?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I have had my single-player game freeze like this one time.

I just hard reset it, and continued playing.

I have logged a good 30 hours since in single and online modes with no more problems.

I get more crashes on my PS2, an it's still 99.9% less buggy than my computer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have also had lockup problems with resistance. Only happens to me online and I usually see like 2-3 people "leave the game" like 5 seconds before it happens to me. It may have to do with the game trying to make you the host when the original host leaves, but I really have no idea. hopefully it will be fixed through firmware or game updates.

·
Registered
94 Posts
playstat88. your problem is network problems. I've had similar things happen to me. It will eventually kick me out of the menu and give me a message saying my network dropped out. I am using wireless, are you? I think a lot of this is just due to more and more people getting online. I don't think it has anything to do with the latest firmware from sony.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_PHA /forum/post/0

playstat88. your problem is network problems. I've had similar things happen to me. It will eventually kick me out of the menu and give me a message saying my network dropped out. I am using wireless, are you? I think a lot of this is just due to more and more people getting online. I don't think it has anything to do with the latest firmware from sony.

Yeah, I'm using a wireless router, I just don't understand why the multiplayer is fine in-game but this one little glitch keeps occuring.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.