Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The untimely death of my Mitsubishi 35" direct view TV has brought me into the world of HDTV much faster than I had planned.

I have spent lots of time at my local dealer looking at various direct view and plasma displays in the 38" to 42" size. So far I love the both the picture and the styling of the Loewe Aconda 38" direct view. My only concern is watching this TV in my living room. I have floor to ceiling windows in my living room and I don't want to cover them up. It is hard to see low light scenes with my current Mitsubishi so I am concerned that the Loewe might not be able to overcome the ambient light in my living room.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

Thank you very much,

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 38" is ok in sunlight. I have a huge window to the right of the TV. The only time it is unwatchable is the brief time of day where the sun is shining directly on the screen, but I don't think any TV can overcome that. There is also a "Day" mode that boosts the brightness. That mode helps in the day but is way too bright at night. The TV absolutely looks 100% better when I close the blinds though, but again, that's going to be true of any TV.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Even at full contrast, the Aconda does rather well on the test patterns. There's a little distortion of the "needle" on the pattern above a setting of 20-25 or so, but it doesn't get too bad at any setting. There's not much blooming even up to the maximum setting. At max, it is plenty bright for daylight. I have mine set at 35-40 usually, and that is reasonable in daylight, too. The only problem will be the reflections from the glossy screen which is slightly curved. A pure flat screen with anti-reflective coating would be better in that regard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

One more question. If I have an ISF technician come out to calibrate the Aconda, can he give me two settings. One for daytime viewing and one for viewing at night? It would be nice to have two set ups and the ability to easily switch between the daytime and nightime settings.

Thanks

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.