AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first message in this forum, so be nice.

I just purchased a 30" Loewe Aconda from a dealer who didn't know very much about the product when he sold it to me. It has one VGA input and one component video input. The VGA input, however, is the only one that will accept HD (1080i and 720p) and 480p signals; the component video input only accepts 480i signals. I decided to keep the set notwithstanding this limitation, which I found out about after setting it up at home, because the picture appears mighty good to me. The advantage of the dealer's ignorance about this limitation is that he threw in a Mitsubishi DD-6000 progressive scan DVD player for $100.00 in order to induce me to buy the set, not realizing that the progressive component video outputs from this DVD player cannot be connected to the component video inputs of this TV. I guess if he'd known about this problem he wouldn't have effectively given away the DD-6000. Whether he would have tried to steer me to another TV I don't know.

Currently I'm using the VGA input for a DTC-100 (which works fine with this set for both the 540p and 1080i resolutions), and am connecting the 480i interlaced component video output from the DD-6000 to the TV's 480i component inputs. It looks very good to me, at least as good as I remember the progressive scan outputs from this player looking at the dealer when displayed through, for example, the 34" Panasonic 16:9 set. Another more knowledgeable Loewe dealer said that the line doubler in the Aconda is so good that a progressive scan output DVD player isn't needed with it; but then he sells Loewe products and might be expected to say something like that.

Long intro, short question, which I'm finally coming to. Here I am with a perfectly good progressive scan DVD player and I can't use the progressive scan outputs with this set unless I get a component video-to-VGA transcoder (approx. $180). But if that's the only change, the consequence would be either to sacrifice the DTC-100 HD and 540p output, which is of course unacceptable, or changing the VGA cables on the back of the set each time I switch from one source to the other, which is also unacceptable. To have both wired permanently I'd need a VGA 2-to-1 switcher downstream of the transcoder (cost unknown), and the switcher would have to be configured to recognize and prioritize the competing signals coming in. Each change from DVD to DTC-100 and back again might require a visit to the connections menu. I'd do it, though, if I thought there would be a substantial improvement, and so long as inserting all these gizmos into the signal path wouldn't have the effect of degrading the picture.

The question is, is it worth it? Has anyone out there played a progressive scan DVD output into this set, and compared it to an interlaced output? And what effect if any would the transcoder and the VGA switcher have on the quality of the signal?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions on this one.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If your interlaced component signals look good on the TV, why bother with progressive scan, especially when it is such a Hurculean task to convert the signals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Loewe set mentioned in my original message is definitely 30". Sensory Science, which distributes Loewe in the US, says that the 38" will be out sometime later this year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I posted my comment I returned the DTC 100 (which had some mfg. defect) and got a HD100 instead, but am considering switching back, so yes, Dchen, please pass on the service menu codes for this fix.

Thanks.

D.Cooke

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I would say that on such a relatively small direct view screen, you don't need to go to the expense of setting up a switch box for progressive DVD and HD signals. On a big screen unit or projector it would be worth the effort, but as dcchen pointed out, the Loewe doubler is considered unusually good on your set anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.