AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any owners of this set have this problem? Using the Sony HD200 on the component input I get some bending of moving images in the center of the screen. For example that scrolling type at the bottom from sources such as CNN, etc. Don't have this with the S-Video connection or when using the Sony HD200's variable settings. ONLY when the HD input is used but NOT with SD material. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you by any chance have the HD200 in the panorama mode? This will give you a 16:9 picture, normal in the middle, distorted on the sides. The CNN scroll will then distort on the sides. Try switching out of the wide mode into normal 4:3.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you by any chance have the HD200 in the panorama mode? This will give you a 16:9 picture, normal in the middle, distorted on the sides. The CNN scroll will then distort on the sides. Try switching out of the wide mode into normal 4:3.

This gets a little tricky -- at least for me. When using the COMPONENT connection with the HD200, I can't adjust ANY modes with the Loewe. Only with the Sony HD200, and I use SONY'S panorama mode. Using the s-video connection I can adjust to panorama, cinema, etc. through the Loewe's remote. Naturally I get the BEST picture using the HD setting through the component connection with the Sony set to the highest format but that's where I get the BENDS. ;-(

·
Registered
48 Posts
The way it works is you can change the aspect ratio of an upconverted signal. For example you can change a standard 480 signal if the box is set to 720 or 1080, if it's set to 480, with a 480 signal you can't change it. If you want full screen without "the bends" on component, use zoom 1. You will lose some picture from the top and the bottom, but you won't have"the bends" because 1) you won't have distortion, and 2) you won't have the CNN crawler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How old is your set? I used to own a Loewe 30" but it had these lines that look like waves coming out from both sides. Loewe said that the set was defective and needed to be replaced. I replaced it 3 times from Harvey with still the same problem. I went to look at their new Artios and all the sets that I have seen have this pattern problem. Loewe is looking into itas per Harvey and the set I have seen been made Q.C. I noticed this on S vid. and comp. The DVD used is Star war I and II. These lines are noticed more on dark colors.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to 720 or 1080, if it's set to 480, with a 480 signal you can't change it. If you want full screen without "the bends" on component, use zoom 1. You will lose some picture from the top and the bottom, but you won't have"the bends" because 1) you won't have distortion, and 2) you won't have the CNN crawler.

Yea I noticed WIDE and ZOOM modes don't have "the bends". But the picture isn't as good to my eyes as panorama. Is this "bending" thing true for ALL Acondas or did I get another lemon?

How old is your set? I used to own a Loewe 30" but it had these lines that

Got it replaced a month ago from Harvey -- same place as your set.

look like waves coming out from both sides. Loewe said that the set was defective and needed to be replaced. I replaced it 3 times from Harvey with still the same problem. I went to look at their new Artios and all the sets that I have seen have this pattern problem. Loewe is looking into itas per Harvey and the set I have seen been made Q.C. I noticed this on S vid. and comp. The DVD used is Star war I and II. These lines are noticed more on dark colors.

I think your problem is a different one from "the bends" I see with component using the SONY HD200. With dvds, s-video, other vairable modes using the SD200 and all the Loewe modes except for panorama, I'm free from the bends. Also with HD material. Its just with SD material using the 1080 signal.

Tony

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your "bends" is normal. Panorama mode provides an undistorted picture in the center of the screen and stretches out the sides to fill the 16:9 screen. When there is motion on the sides (best seen in the right to left text crawler on CNN) the lateral distortion becomes most evident. If you like the panorama mode, you must put up with "the bends".

BTW, you will find that for 480i transmissions from DirecTv, s-video gives you a better picture than component. This is specific for the Loewe, since its scaler seems to do a better job of 480 to 1080 conversion than does the HD 200.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, you will find that for 480i transmissions from DirecTv, s-video gives you a better picture than component. This is specific for the Loewe, since its scaler seems to do a better job of 480 to 1080 conversion than does the HD 200.

Alan

The only s-video connection I have is through the vcr, since this TV is limited on inputs. So do you suggest I use that connection for SD (480)material? That means I'd have to switch to component when I view HD right? Thanks for your help.

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.