AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a Loewe Aconda 30 inch HDTV set on display in New York, and have been obsessed with it ever since. I have been looking for a new television -- and am operating under a fairly limiting space constraint (a little less than 35 inches across). Therefore, the dimensions of the Aconda are perfect.

I am also not particularly knowledgeable about HDTV, and the various means of connecting an HDTV to various components. I presently have a DVD, VCR, Tivo, Playstation 2, an Audio Request jukebox (hooked up via S-Video, but can be hooked up VGA). Also, because I live in an apartment in NYC, and do not have an adequate view for an antenna, and my cable company is broadcasting a very limited schedule of HDTV programmimg, I will likely wait to get an HDTV decoder for a little while.

I guess my question is this -- does the Aconda have sufficient inputs to connect all of these devices to it (I would prefer not to have to use the front connector -- but if I had to I would only use it for the Playstation 2). Presently, I use one of those 4 into 1 A/V switch boxes -- which if I am spending 3600 for the Aconda, I would rather not use. Also (forgive my lack of knowledge), I assume the Aconda has a coax-cable input for normal cable TV.

Finally, if anyone knows of any other 30 inch widescreen HDTV sets, please let me know -- I have seen the Princeton Graphics, and I think there may be a Sampo.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have an Aconda and love it.

Currently I'm switching all of my S-Video sources through my reciever. That includes TiVo and VCR. I'm using the component input for the DVD player, and coax cable to the RF input. I don't have an HDTV STB yet, so the VGA connector is currently unused.

I don't think you'll be able to connect all of your devices without a little switching, but you'll come close.

Mojo

------------------

Morris Jones

San Rafael, CA

[email protected]
http://www.whiteoaks.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Aconda and recommend it very highly. You should have enough inputs - on the rear it has two coax cable inputs, a 15-pin VGA input, one set of 480i component inputs (that will not, unfortunately, accept a progressive scan DVD signal), and two or three other sets of inputs that will accept either composite or s-video. It's very easy to connect and set up.

I considered the Philips 30" as well but liked the refinement of the Aconda's picture, and the look of its cabinetry, much better, despite the price difference, which is pretty big. I'm told that its build quality is superb but I've only had it for four months, so time will tell. It made sense to me as a long term investment but if you change TVs often and money's an issue you might reconsider.

One of the regular contributors to this forum has put up a helpful Loewe Aconda enthusiast's website that you may want to take a look at: loewe.blogspot.com. He knows more than most about this set. (If I didn't get that address correct, try a search on this site for loewe aconda and look for posts by dcchen and you'll find it.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.