AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Loewe ART736 (36") TV and was trying the DTC100. Unfortunately I found out quite quickly that the set will only accept a 480p signal (Stupid DTV ready sets). The picture on this thing is so great that I'm not prepared to return it and since, from what I've heard, that the 38" set isn't making its way to the US anytime soon I'm trying to figure out what HD decoder to get. Was looking at the Panasonic TU-HDS20. Basically need something with a 480p VGA output.

Any other suggestions to look at, I'm pretty open right now.

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
I'm curious as to why a German maker has sets which support at least some of the ATSC standards. Doesn't Europe have their own HDTV standards which are different from ours?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Panasonic TU-HDS20 has not been without problems. I know of two others, plus myself, that had audio dropouts. With my unit, the audio eventually died on all digital sources (OTA and SAT), but was fine on analog sources (cables and OTA). They exchanged my unit and I have not had a problem with it since. I think the picture and sound are great. Fan is a little noisy. Output resolution is not switchable from the remote (need to press a button on the unit front panel, which is prety quirky, considering aspect control is on the remote. It sometimes takes a few seconds for channels to lock in. Program guide system is a little slow, but I keep hearing about a software upgrade to assist with that. I can deal with the slow guide.

Good Luck. LeeG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with all these upgrades for the HD receivers is that they require a sat hookup. I don't use a sat and can't in my apartment. Unless you can take the unit into the dealer for the upgrades it seems you're stuck with the initial software. This is the same situation for the DTC100 that I have. From what I've read there is a new upgrade to let the unit output 540p which my TV will accept (after service menu mod).

As far as other units go, I've looked at the Sony HD100 but it only seems to output interlaced signals. Are there any other units like Mitsubishi or others that'll do the 480p?

[This message has been edited by zigzag6927 (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
38" in Europe is the same as 36" here. FTC made a law

that mandates TV makers to list actual visible picture

and not whole glass.

Your TV is DTV ready. It is not HDTV.

·
Registered
42 Posts
While it may be true that 36inch US tv's are reffrred to as 38inchers in Europe, he is referring to the 38inch 16 x 9 Aconda based on the Thomson tube. I read today that the set has landed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
While it may be true that 36inch US tv's are reffrred to as 38inchers in Europe, he is referring to the 38inch 16 x 9 Aconda based on the Thomson tube. I read today that the set has landed.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Ok my mistake.

This still does not change that his TV is not HDTV.

No matter which TV in Europe none of them are HDTV.

I am not even talking about electronics but tubes.

Tubes made for HDTV have much higher pitch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zigzag6927:
I have a Loewe ART736 (36") TV and was trying the DTC100. Unfortunately I found out quite quickly that the set will only accept a 480p signal (Stupid DTV ready sets). The picture on this thing is so great that I'm not prepared to return it and since, from what I've heard, that the 38" set isn't making its way to the US anytime soon I'm trying to figure out what HD decoder to get. Was looking at the Panasonic TU-HDS20. Basically need something with a 480p VGA output.

Any other suggestions to look at, I'm pretty open right now.
Not to rub it in, but you obviously didn't find out quite quickly enough. Rethink returning the Leowe and consider one of the new Hitachi's instead. See:
www.twice.com and look for "Hitachi Unveils New HDTV Line" (or words to that effect) under "Breaking News". I believe that a new, reasonably priced 36" 16:9 monitor is among the offerings.

If all you care about is OTA reception, consider the Samsung STB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.