AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Loewe Calida 32" first generation (480P via 15pin VGA input).

I would like to watch DVDs and HDTV in 16x9 480P through the VGA input, however, the 480P input seems to be 4x3 only, which forces the DVD and HDTV STB to do the letterboxing, which we all know suffers, and also prevents me from viewing all 480 lines. There IS a geometry setting for Height/Width on the Menu for the VGA input, but I am unable to confirm whether this can give me a true 16x9 screen.

I am looking for the same kind of 'anamorphic squeeze' that exists in Video 1 and 2.

Suggestions? Is there a test pattern I can play on DVD that will confirm whether or not I can achieve true 16x9? Is there a secret service menu setting?

Have left 2 message with Loewe Opta in Massachussets but still haven't received a return call.

Thanks

--Jay

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had not heard of a 16:9 feature on these earlier Loewe sets, nor do I have the service codes. There is a Loewe forum over at ***************.com that may be of help.

My understanding is that European 4:3 sets have sported a 16:9 feature for quite some time, well before the US-sold sets did. Apparently some Euro sets even have a dedicated button on the remote for this. It would not surprise me if your set, as sold in Europe, might have the feature.

You can try shrinking the Vertical Size in the service menu. However, usually you must also horse around with other geometry settings to get back to good geometry after shrinking the raster, a real pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.