AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a growing number of Loewe owners.Do they make their own picture tubes or use another manufacturers?What are your likes and dislikes?

Does any one own a Princeton graphics AF3.OHD?Same questions as with the Loewes. Thanks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm a Loewe Aconda owner too. Love the picture and the video processor! The straight physical appearance of the TV is a delight as well.

A problem that I'm anticipating has to do with the remote. I'm overflowing with remotes right now. When I do go to a universal remote, I don't think I've seen any yet that support the Loewe control codes. Input selection and display format are both context sensitive, not direct controls, so I won't be able to teach a remote to "use DVD input" or "use video 2 input." Instead I'll have to duplicate the input select buttons and go through multiple steps to change video sources. Boo.

Mojo

------------------

--

Morris Jones

San Rafael, CA

[email protected]
http://www.whiteoaks.com

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I heard that Loewe uses RCA (or Proscan or Thomson) tubes.

Princeton Graphics is affiliated with Unity Motion, but I'm not sure who makes the tubes. I think the Princeton graphics AF3.0HD lacks a squeeze via the user menu.

------------------

Abdul

Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Loewe does use Thomson tubes; this was confirmed to me by a Loewe dealer who had seen the new 38" widescreen set at CES. If this set is anything close to as good as it's baby brother it should be one awesome set -- the Aconda looks fantastic to me...

Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Loewe Aconda. Love the picture and the look of the set, and its GUI is terrific. I agree with other commenters in this thread that the set would be better if it had more than one HD input (the only one is the VGA) and another component input. (It has one component input that only accepts 480i, so if you're using a HD set top box you can't use a progressive scan DVD without a transcoder for one of the two units and a switchbox that would allow the two units to share the VGA input). Yet I've found the internal line doubler to be so good that the image on interlaced DVD input is hard to fault.

It's also true that the remote codes for input and format aren't learnable by universal remotes (I've tried both the Pronto and the Marantz RC1200). The universal remotes will learn direct codes for the Loewe like on/off, channel select, and volume, so I've stuck with the Marantz for everything else in the system and use the Loewe remote for the unlearnable (context sensitive) codes. It's not perfect but I've kept the TV because, notwithstanding all this, I still think it's a good product.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I may be a biased Unity Motion/Princeton Graphics owner, but I much prefer the 30" tube in the Princeton to the Loewe. In fact, I wasn't real impressed with the line doubler in the Loewe. More important, I wanted to clear up a couple of questions about the Princeton:

1) It does have an *adjustable* aspect ration control (great for LD's)

2) It has *multiple* HD progressive inputs (including 2 component)

3) *Everything* is user adjustable (no "secret" menus/codes

I'm just getting ready to hook-up my Sony HD-100 to it after enjoying line-doubled DVD for the last 2 years!

·
Registered
772 Posts
The AF3.0HD uses the older Toshiba tube that has been replaced with the newer top-of-the-line flat Toshiba tube that can only be found in the Sampo 34" set in the US (Toshiba doesn't sell the new tube directly in the US markets).

MMafia

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Stanton,

How does the DST3000 work with the Princeton. folks like myself & Toshiba5 have been irritated by the excessive overscan (e.g., a 4:3 source gets cropped top & bottom).

Tim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian:
Just curious about Thomson making the tube for 16:9 Loewe 30": there aren't too many 30" 16:9 sets out there, so are there only a few tube manufacturers for this size (e.g. Thomson and Utility)? Why isn't there an RCA in this category?

30" (76 cm) 16:9 is one of the most popular sizes in Europe. 4:3 sets are slowly being phased out.

Francesco

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
While it's unfortunate that there's no "direct access" to the inputs (you have to scroll up/down), it's a small price to pay on a TV that lets you access *all* aspect ratio functions on *all* inputs (save the VGA--but that's for PC's anyway) with *different* memory's for the HD vs. NTSC inputs. I just figured this last one out when after hooking up my new Sony HD-100; I'm still amazed that no other monitor yet offers this kind of aspect ratio flexibility.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Actually, you can use any aspect ratio you want on the VGA input, too. And, yes, it's a very nice feature that the monitor will memorize the aspect ratio and color temp settings for each input.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the monitor. The inability to directly select video inputs is a very minor quibble, but it sure would be nice to be able to completely set up each device in my home theater with just a single button press on my universal remote.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am also a very happy Loewe Aconda HDTV owner. I much prefer the picture quality on the Loewe Aconda to the Princeton graphics AF3.OHD. I had the opportunity to buy the PG TV, at a great price, but passed after seeing the Aconda in action. For my needs, 1 component input and 1 VGA input are all I need so the lack of two of each is no biggy to me.

The 30" Aconda uses a Panasonic picture tube and the 38" uses a Philips picture tube. This is according to what Sensory Science has told me.

Morris Jones,

If you go to remotecentral.com, under files, for the Pronto, there is a Loewe Aconda CCF that gives you the direct access codes for the video inputs for all U.S. Loewe TVs. I use the codes in my Pronto and they work great.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two answers for the Loewes picture tubes . Which one is correct? Is there a web sight to find the right answer?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I own the Princeton/Unity monitor and I'm constantly impressed by its picture quality and color accuracy. Anamorphic DVDs and HD look spectacular on it. The fact that the screen isn't flat doesn't bother me at all. Although I haven't had an opportunity to do any side-by-side comparisons, other direct view HDTVs I've seen in stores look significantly inferior, in my opinion. Then again, the stores don't usually do any kind of calibration, so that makes it a little more difficult to compare...

My only complaint about the monitor is that I've found no way to directly access specific video inputs, so whenever I switch devices, I have to manually scroll up or down through the various inputs until I visually identify the proper one.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
I wish I could report I'm happy with Loewe, but I'm disapppointed with the inability to get decent geometry on my 32" 4:3 Loewe Arcadia. $3000+ for a digital set, and there are no adjustments for horizontal bow in the service menu. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif I understand certain Sony models had the same lack of control.

Therefore, letterboxed movies have a curve on the top and bottom that is unacceptable. Sensory Science has shipped a replacement board that I was told will "ncrease the voltage" to correct the problem, Myer-Emco installed the board. The Result: no fix for geometry problems, and now all whites are crushed as the picture blooms from scene to scene. I'm not a happy camper! My last message to Sensory Science: Give me my money back, or replace the set.Stay Tuned

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called sensoryscience about the loewe picture tube. they gave this information to me. Anaconda tube is made by Philips. 38inch will be made by Rca. the mystery continues.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello,

I talked to my local dealer who just started carrying Loewe. He is also a friend outside of the business, we made wine together from some of my grapes, so I trust what he says. Anyway, he said that the Loewe tubes are made by Thompson, but the shadow mask, phosphor coatings and electronics are unique to Loewe. Loewe just takes advantage of Thompson's expertise with the glass composition and shaping. I'm looking forward to seeing the 38" set!

Jay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.