Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, how to you pronounce "Loewe?"

Secondly, how are Loewe TVs? How do they compare to other brands?

Thirdly, which is the best 16:9 Loewe TV? There are so many choices that I don't know which is better than the other.

Fourthly, which has better picture quality for DVD viewing? A Direct View TV, a Plasma TV, or a Rear Projection TV?

·
Registered
22,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kain
First of all, how to you pronounce "Loewe?"

I beleive... Loo Vaa

Secondly, how are Loewe TVs? How do they compare to other brands? They are touted as high quality. Comparing to other TV's? That's really a 'toss up'. Today's technologies in TV sets makes comparisons difficult. One thing that is a fact is that the pictue tube in the 38" Aconda is the same tube that's used in the RCA F38310. Also another fact... Loewe TV's are very expensive compared to sets of similar size/features.

Thirdly, which is the best 16:9 Loewe TV? There are so many choices that I don't know which is better than the other.You need to be the judge based on cabinet styles, picture size, viewing habits and $$.

Fourthly, which has better picture quality for DVD viewing? A Direct View TV, a Plasma TV, or a Rear Projection TV?

This is also a matter of taste. There are pro's and con's for each. Personally, I prefer direct view for color, brightness, easier setup, even picture when viewed off-center, etc...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Although it's spelled like the movie theater chain in USA, in deutch it's Loo Va. I have no idea on Aconda, Anaconda, you could ask 'shapely' Jenifer Lopez.:)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
1- It's actually some German word that is essentially unpronouncable to the American tongue, but "Loo-vah" is apparently close enough.

2- It seems to generally be the consensus (of at least everyone I have talked to who has actually seen a Loewe) that Loewe makes far and away the best direct-view sets out there. The cabinet design is simply gorgeous on almost all models, with a real aesthetic flair. The picture quality is essentially only surpassed by extremely expensive studio monitors, and the color decoding is second to none. There is also NO red push on ANY of Loewe's TVs. Their PAL (European) models are 100Hz so as to eliminate the flicker of the 25fps signal, and all of their NTSC/ATSC (American) models are high-definition capable, meaning internal line-doubling for interlaced signals (with a fantastic scaler) and 1920x1080i resolution for HD. They will also display 540p and 960i. The only question is whether you're prepared to pay for that quality (though the prices of most Loewe sets can be argued down significantly in the right stores. I got my $5,500 Loewe Aconda Piano Black with a $500 BDI stand for $4,600 at a local store with a little negotiation).

3- a. If you're looking at the American sets, you can only choose from the Aconda, the Planus, and the Calida (which is 4:3). Your need for 16:9 leaves only the 30" and 38" Aconda models, which are the flagship of the line, and the Planus. The 30" Aconda is flat screen, while the 38" is slightly curved. I'd say the best, if you're not looking for a particularly small monitor, is definitely the best. The Loewe U.S. website should have any information you need.

b. If you're in search of a PAL monitor, you've got MANY more options. Loewe is extremely popular in Europe compared to its presence in the U.S., and it markets a very wide variety of ultra-high-end (though not HD) direct-view monitors (in both 4:3 and 16:9), DVD players, plasma panels, and basically any other kind of consumer electronics device. Even phones. There, the Articos is the newest and hottest display, sporting an absolutely gorgeous design and their newest chassis, the successor to the Q2400. However, it only comes in 32" (30" American) size, so in terms of home theater, the European version of the Aconda 40" (38" American) is still their flagship display. They also just released the Spheros, their new 42" plasma panel. I don't know how good (or expensive... the mind recoils in horror) their plasmas are, but I certainly can't imagine it being bad. The lineup is much more integrated and complex in Europe, especially since the release of the new "systems" line of which the Articos and Spheros are part. They're organized more based on aesthetic coordination than display type or size. Interesting but freaky. I'd still go with the large Aconda. The European Loewe website has all the info.

4- A direct-view will probably still be best for DVD viewing, particularly a Loewe with its high-quality mask, chassis, color processing, and materials. Arguably an 848x480 plasma panel might be better, as you'd get more size and perfect geometry with the same color purity and whatnot, but generally the contrast ratios and brightness levels of most plasma displays are not up to snuff compared to direct-views. If I were going to get a display solely for watching DVDs, I'd probably buy a 42" Panasonic Plasma with 848x480 resolution, and hook it up to an HTPC with a DVI connector (a plasma with a VGA connection will lose some PQ because it has to scale the signal from analog to make it match 848 vertical lines. You can scale in digital with an HTPC, which would be the only way to fully maximize the quality of a plasma display). However, for the best quality DVD and DTV viewing, I don't think a direct-view can be beat all-around at this point in time.

Best of luck!

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.