AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to copy my old SVHS tapes to DVD discs and make copies from HBO as well as backing up some of my dvd movies. Which filter (Logic Design or Sima CT2) does a better job, especially from my old SVHS tapes. What's the difference in price. Does Logic Design have a website? if so what is it's address.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Do a search on them here & you should be able to get the info you need.

I was interested in the Logic Design filter for a Panny recorder but I could never get a straight answer as to wether it only worked on DVD-Ram discs or if it would also work on DVD-R discs on Panasonic recorders so that's something you might want to check into before buying the Logic Design.

I got my daughter the Sima CT-2 for her Panasonic E-55 & it works on DVD-RAM & DVD-R (PLus I think all the other formats too) & she especially wanted it to work using DVD-R's because her Laptop & car dvd players will not play DVD-RAM discs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to hear from someone who has the logic Design filter. I'm interested to find out if either filter actually increases the quality of old SVHS tapes going to DVD, I'll be useing a Toshiba XS 34

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know anything about the Sima Color Corrector 2 Pro Series Model SCC-2

Does it due the same things as the CT-2, but better?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
chole, The Sima SCC-2 adds over the Sima CT-2 adjustments for picture Brightness, Color, Tint, Sharpness & Individual RGB Adjustments. All the Sima CT-2 has for adjustments is a switch that sets it to Normal, Light, Dark or Black & White.

Check Sima's website & you can download the Owners Manuals & compare all of them www.simacorp.com

If I remember right their is a fellow here that uses the SCC-2 to help get rid of the Black Level Bug that the Toshiba recorders have.

Again, do a search on this boad & you will get plenty of info on "all" of them including the Logic Design website.

As far as prices go I paid $70 shipped for the CT-2 from NY to Miami & I've seen the Sima SCC-2 for around $149 & if I remember right the Logic Design was around $140 shipped but I did miss out on the CompUSA deal that had the Sima CT-2 for $50 with a mail in rebate :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313
chole, The Sima SCC-2 adds over the Sima CT-2 adjustments for picture Brightness, Color, Tint, Sharpness & Individual RGB Adjustments. All the Sima CT-2 has for adjustments is a switch that sets it to Normal, Light, Dark or Black & White.

Check Sima's website & you can download the Owners Manuals & compare all of them www.simacorp.com

If I remember right their is a fellow here that uses the SCC-2 to help get rid of the Black Level Bug that the Toshiba recorders have.

Again, do a search on this boad & you will get plenty of info on "all" of them including the Logic Design website.

As far as prices go I paid $70 shipped for the CT-2 from NY to Miami & I've seen the Sima SCC-2 for around $149 & if I remember right the Logic Design was around $140 shipped but I did miss out on the CompUSA deal that had the Sima CT-2 for $50 with a mail in rebate :(

Yes, its me. I use it to to compensate for the Black Level Bug on my Toshiba RD-XS32. I turn the contrast all the way up on my Sima SCC-2. It has two S-video and composite video outputs and inputs. It has a remote and an on screen menu (television screen). I purchased it from amazon.com for $143.99. I have it connected between two a DVD player and a DVD recorder and between a Dish receiver and the television (HBO and Showtime). Each source can be adjusted separately.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design
Send me a private mnessage and I will give you detail on the Video Filter
I did send you one...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
I was interested in the Logic Design filter for a Panny recorder but I could never get a straight answer as to wether it only worked on DVD-Ram discs or if it would also work on DVD-R discs on Panasonic recorders so that's something you might want to check into before buying the Logic Design.
I wrote the SMR review of the Logic Design Filter for DVD recorders. I recently tested the latest Logic Design Filter, which has been modded to work with Panny recorders. I found that it now works flawlessly--you can now record to the Hard Disk, DVD-RAM or DVD-R, and dub between them as you would any unprotected material. The new units have switches which you'll need to have configured at the time of ordering. I have already written an update to our SMR review which will hopefully be posted before too long.

I have to commend Logic Design for following through and finding a true solution for those with Panasonic recorders.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does the SCC-2 over ride copy protection, or just allow you to enhance the various picture qualties? I said in another thread what I thought about the Sima CT-200. Own one and it kicks asss. Never let me down in over 50 recordings. The quality is great. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Use the s-video in's and out's they make considerablly better copies then the rca in's and out's. Did a couple comparisons. S-video won hands down. I know you can walk into Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, etc. and buy a Sima, but I've never seen a Logic Design anywhere. Thats not to say the Logic Design isn't better or worse then the Sima theres just less info. out there on the Logic Design. However all the feedback I've read about the Logic Design has been positive. I can't speak on it personally cause I don't own or use one.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
"Does the SCC-2 overide copy protection" YES & I'm just guessing but it probably has the same "Buster" circuits in it as the CT-2 & CT-200 & then it combines a Video Picture Processor with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I returned my Sima Color Corrector 2 Pro Series Model SCC-2, it degraded my PQ

·
Registered
405 Posts
Video Filter doesn't degrade your video, regardless of the mode. It's also the only unit that is components compatible, if your DVD recorder can handle it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martig
Yes, its me. I use it to to compensate for the Black Level Bug on my Toshiba RD-XS32. I turn the contrast all the way up on my Sima SCC-2. It has two S-video and composite video outputs and inputs. It has a remote and an on screen menu (television screen). I purchased it from amazon.com for $143.99. I have it connected between two a DVD player and a DVD recorder and between a Dish receiver and the television (HBO and Showtime). Each source can be adjusted separately.
Adjusting contrast does not correct the black level. You need a proc amp with black level settings 0 and 7.5

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildv
Adjusting contrast does not correct the black level. You need a proc amp with black level settings 0 and 7.5
This is precisely why I now copy DVD's on the computer. I had been determined to put off buying a new computer. I had a Gateway that I purchased in 1999. But last November I purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 with a DVD ROM and a DVD Recorder. I added an external LG GSA-5163D Multi DVD Rewriter so that I could do RAM editing. I soon downloaded many DVD authoring, burning and ripping software. No sense trying to better analog recording. Forget the black level nonsense whether it be contrast or whatever. I saw a post on the black level issue go on for a year on the Toshiba RD-XS32. The only other "stand alone" DVD recorder I am considering if it comes out this Fall is the LG LRM-519. There was a press release on it back in on January 5, 2005. It integrates the internet with television.

But these kind of issues go on and on and on. You just try to get the best and most versatile for the money. The black issue was debated until it was beyond absurd. For me the Sima SCC-2 solved the copy protection issue and provided the best picture at the time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoMP5
Does the SCC-2 over ride copy protection, or just allow you to enhance the various picture qualties? I said in another thread what I thought about the Sima CT-200. Own one and it kicks asss. Never let me down in over 50 recordings. The quality is great. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Use the s-video in's and out's they make considerablly better copies then the rca in's and out's. Did a couple comparisons. S-video won hands down. I know you can walk into Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, etc. and buy a Sima, but I've never seen a Logic Design anywhere. Thats not to say the Logic Design isn't better or worse then the Sima theres just less info. out there on the Logic Design. However all the feedback I've read about the Logic Design has been positive. I can't speak on it personally cause I don't own or use one.
Yes the SCC-2 does over ride copy protection.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
"Does the SCC-2 overide copy protection" YES & I'm just guessing but it probably has the same "Buster" circuits in it as the CT-2 & CT-200 & then it combines a Video Picture Processor with it.
Gracias

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martig
This is precisely why I now copy DVD's on the computer. I had been determined to put off buying a new computer. I had a Gateway that I purchased in 1999. But last November I purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 with a DVD ROM and a DVD Recorder. I added an external LG GSA-5163D Multi DVD Rewriter so that I could do RAM editing. I soon downloaded many DVD authoring, burning and ripping software. No sense trying to better analog recording. Forget the black level nonsense whether it be contrast or whatever. I saw a post on the black level issue go on for a year on the Toshiba RD-XS32. The only other "stand alone" DVD recorder I am considering if it comes out this Fall is the LG LRM-519. There was a press release on it back in on January 5, 2005. It integrates the internet with television.

But these kind of issues go on and on and on. You just try to get the best and most versatile for the money. The black issue was debated until it was beyond absurd. For me the Sima SCC-2 solved the copy protection issue and provided the best picture at the time.
A-OK Ray

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design
Video Filter doesn't degrade your video, regardless of the mode. It's also the only unit that is components compatible, if your DVD recorder can handle it.
I ordered it yesterday to go with my Toshiba XS34, I just wish it had two sets of inputs instead of one. I bought a JVC AV Switcher which will feed into your filter to meet my input needs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.