AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that lotr and austin powers3 have been encoded with logic7, which must be on their 2 channel tracks. I assume the 2 ch tracks are dolby digital 2.0 since that's how it is on every other dvd I have. My receiver has logic7, but when receiving a dolby digital 2.0 signal, I can only use dolby pro logic II or plain dolby digital 2.0. I can't select logic 7 unless it's a pcm 2ch source or analog 2 ch source.

So how does this logic7 encoding work if I can't even switch into the mode to decode it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I guess the only way for you to listen to Logic7 using a DD 2.0 signal is to use the analog outputs. Too bad though but do let us know the difference between Logic7, DPL2 and DTS:Neo if you have it.

fuad

·
Registered
30,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcwang
My receiver has logic7, but when receiving a dolby digital 2.0 signal, I can only use dolby pro logic II or plain dolby digital 2.0. I can't select logic 7 unless it's a pcm 2ch source or analog 2 ch source.
In your DVD player's set-up menu, can you switch the DD output from bitstream to PCM?
Quote:
So how does this logic7 encoding work if I can't even switch into the mode to decode it.
LOGIC7 encoding works like a Dolby Surround mixdown; except that instead of the typical mono surround channel, L7 encoding preserves the stereo surrounds of the original 5.1 mix. Lexicon has said that L7 encoded material is compatible with Pro Logic decoding (but the surrounds will be mono). I don't know if PL II will decode the split surrounds properly, but it's worth a try. Of course, L7 decoding will yeild the best results (since that's how it was encoded).

I recently saw 'The Cell' on TV (digital cable) and, since it was LOGIC7 encoded, it decoded really well using L7 and four surround speakers. The 2-channel tracks of 'Blade II' and 'Lord of the Rings' sound almost like a discrete 6.1 mix using L7 decoding. There's a list of LOGIC7 encoded movies/DVDs here .

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that sucks, that means I need another pair of audio interconnects in addition to the 3 pairs I already have for the 6ch out on the dvd player. But I guess this is the only way.

I haven't had much time to compare the 3 matrix decoding formats, but I'll give them a try when I have some time.

·
Registered
30,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcwang
...that means I need another pair of audio interconnects in addition to the 3 pairs I already have for the 6ch out on the dvd player. But I guess this is the only way.
It's not the only way. Like I asked earlier: in your DVD player's set-up menu, can you switch the DD output from bitstream to PCM? This way you wouldn't have to use analog cables for 2-channel audio.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sdurani,

Oops, you must have posted right before I posted. I didn't notice your post before when I was replying. Yes, there is a way to switch to PCM, I didn't think of that. I'll try it out when watching my next dolby 2.0 material, a bit of a hassle but I hope it works.

Logic 7 on fm radio sucks compared to dpl2 and neo6, seems to suck the bass out of the music. I hope when used on L7 material that it really works well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.