AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my HTPC tomorrow. I'm starting with a base system I got from Digital Connections a few months ago (case, PS, MB, CPU, 256mb memory, and DVD). The additional hardware I've accumulated for this system is a 40MB Seagate Barracuda IV, a Radeon 7200, Audiophile 2496, generic 10/100 NIC, MyHD MDP-100, Airboard IR keyboard, IRMan IR receiver, and a 510 touchpad from Phreddy's powerbuy a couple of months ago. I'm going to use Windows XP as the OS, and in addition to that and the supporting software for the above hardware, the software I've accumulated includes TheaterTek, two copies of PowerDVD (a second one came with the base system), PowerStrip, Girder, and the HTPC Cinema Manager from the current AVS powerbuy. (Ok, ok, so I'm a hardware and software packrat. :) )

Its been my experience building systems that the logistics (steps you take) can be critical. What would be the recommendation here? Off the top of my head, I'd add the disk, video and NIC cards, and initially a standard keyboard and mouse (with PS/2 connectors) rather than the Airboard. I'd then use Partition Magic to create a backup partition on the disk, build the base XP system, configure the networks and video, and use Drive Image to create a base-level backup.

Its from this point on that I'm unsure. My inclination would be to add the AirBoard and do the OS updates, followed by the same with the 2496 and MyHD cards, and then another backup. I'd still have the IRMan to go, however, not to mention the DVD players and all of the control software.

And while I'm thinking about it, what about the IR receivers? There's three of them right now from the AirBoard, IRMan, and MyHD. Will they have conflicts? They also tie up both PS/2 slots and both serial ports. There's a couple of USB ports left, but should I add more serial ports? (It looks like a lot of things I could add to this system need one.)

Any and all input will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I'm starting to build this thing now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe no one has commented because you seem to have things well in hand. I see no problems with your logistics, probably how I would do it. I wouldn't worry about adding more serial ports until you need them. I've still got a 4 port serial card in the box that I thought I would need in the future, but haven't yet (been sitting there for 6 months now).

KEn

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's gratifying. Although I'm comfortable building the system, I wanted to protect against the dreaded, "You should have done this before that to keep out of trouble."

By the way, as noted on some other threads, Fry's and Outpost.com have a 120GB, 5400 rpm Western Digital drive on sale for $109. These drives have plenty of performance for capturing MyHD files, and are relatively quiet and cool running. I picked one up this morning and added it to my system.

·
Registered
848 Posts
To echo the excellent advice e vey gave in another thread:

Use a UPS to ride through power glitches and short outages or give you time to shut down for longer ones.

It's OK if your TV or sound system lose power unexpectedly. It can be unpleasant when it happens to a computer.

-yogaman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.