AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the market for a wireless Xbox controller the other day -- I searched these forums for assistance, but came up empty. Now that I've actually bought a controller, I'm submitting this review.

LOGITECH CORDLESS CONTROLLER FOR XBOX

The wireless capabilities of this controller are excellent, with no lag time. It uses radio frequency, which means direct line-of-sight isn't necessary. In fact, your XBOX can even be in another room (or an AV closet) and the controller will still work fine.

Ergonomically, I think the shape of the controller is flawed. Maybe this is just me, but prolonged usage of the controller caused my hands to feel fatigued much sooner than the default controller that came with the XBOX.

Also, the actual controls (buttons, joysticks, etc.) seem a little too far forward on the unit -- probably contributing to the hand fatigue mentioned earlier (having to continuously "reach" further to get to the controls).

Last, the far-left joystick is too tall -- yet another possible contributor to the excessive hand fatigue.

Despite the complaints, I think I'm keeping this controller. The wireless capabilities are excellent, and I think I can live with the ergonomic faults.

I may demo the MadCatz wireless offering . It might be worth looking past its gaudy appearance if the ergonomics and wireless capabilities are right.

I haven't had the controller long enough to credibly comment on its durability.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
SurferLeo I agree with your review. I will say that the 'fatigue' will subside with more use of this controller. It requires some getting used to.

The only other decent wireless controller I have to compare it to is the Wavebird which is much lighter.

Also, something to mention, The Logitech controller has the ports for memory cards, LIVE headset, etc. built into the receiver so if you wanted to use a headset, there would still be a wire issue.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Here's the funny thing, I had none of the problems that you mentioned, and notice no fatigue, but I have a much more annoying issue. For some reason my reciever doesn't recognize the control, and I can't force it to by pushing the button on the reciever. The only way it works is that everytime I fire up the XBOX I have to open the battery cover and push the battery to simulate replacing the battery. The light on the control then turns on and the reciever recognizes it. I can't take it back and Logitech's customer support was no help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello all,

since you are familiar with the Logitech wireless controller with the Xbox - let me share with you my experiences and let me ask a question.

1. Sizewise after a couple of hours of playing I really started to like the Logitech. I agree, it has a slightly different shape / size than the MS controller S, but I got used to it, and would not like to go back.

2. There is truly no lag, however I found one exception. In the game "Prince of Persia" you have to go up by jumping wall to wall (for example just before getting the dagger of time). Timing is crucial on this one: The prince jumps -> the controller vibrates -> at that very moment you have to jump again -> vibration -> jump again etc.

I have tried about 50 times with the Logitech, and I have always failed. Somehow by the time the controller vibrated, it was too late to press the jump button ( which indicates to me, that there is a tiny lag).

Then I took my controller S: I was able to go up at the first try. I tried again with the Logitech (couple more times) - it did not go.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks for any comments,

Miklos

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had no problems completing POP using the Logitech. The jumps have to do with timing--I just watched the character animation closely, and pressed the controller when it "looked" like you need to "jump." I never used a wired controller with POP, so I don't know if there is a difference...

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
They probably have the potential to, like any other 2.4ghz device. I haven't had any issues, and I get my internet wirelessly as well as using 802.11g, and at least another couple 2.4ghz items, so there are a lot of radio waves in my house.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Three negative observations about my Logitech:

1. the left joystick rubber cap seems to be too soft and is being mushed about; I fear that it will almost certainly give way over time;

2. the left stick seems to attract dirt into its base (whereas the right one has a domed cover so the dirt doesn't settle there as well) and may lead to a problem down the road;

3. the "back" (I think it's called) button is not placed well for right handed people - it is hidden on the wrong side (right) of the left stick and I pretty much have to move my right hand over to it to push it (with the S controller I can access it with my left hand ergonomically).

Otherwise, a fine wireless solution.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The only reason I keep mine is for one game - Links 2004. I actually have more consistent straight shots with the Logitech because it's easier to keep the left stick from moving out of line over the "S" controller. For all other games I do better with the "S" controller.

It has not caused me any interference on my Wi-Fi network.

·
Registered
76 Posts
anyone have/or plan to get a wireless headset? if so, which one and how is it working for you? how are you guys using cordless and controllers and playing on Live??

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmark
anyone have/or plan to get a wireless headset? if so, which one and how is it working for you? how are you guys using cordless and controllers and playing on Live??
I've read that a lot of people love the Jabra Freespeak (the nonbluetooth with the 2.5mm adapter). It's at the high end of the price range but you can get a good deal on Ebay. There is an Xbox wireless headset coming out this month - no details but it was on the Gamestop site a few weeks ago. I think just about any wireless headset kit can be made to work from the Live headset once it's plugged in. I don't have Live so I can only repeat what others have said.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was going to go that route, but simply purchased an extension cord for my controller. It added ~8-10 feet for $10.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JodyL
Three negative observations about my Logitech:

1. the left joystick rubber cap seems to be too soft and is being mushed about; I fear that it will almost certainly give way over time;
A similar thing is happening on mine. The tip of my thumb has (over nine months or so) dug an impression into the top of the stick. This isn't necessarily bad in terms of comfort or control, but the abrasion leaves "crumbs" of rubber on the top of the controller. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, but something to consider.

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess I can start a new thread discussing this if needed, but I purchased a few of the Pelican Wireless controllers. They are lightweight and have a very similar size and feel to the OEM S controller. I had some initial problems with 2 of the 3 controllers in that the reciever did not work. I called the MFR who was nice enough to include their phone # in the pkg and after some phone tag with the rep, they shipped me 2 new receivers. If anyone else is trying to contact Pelican, send me a pm as I have a direct extension # for the rep I dealt with. Apparently there is a known problem with these receivers as they did not want the original one back. When I questioned him about the problem, he said they have seen a few bad ones.. All 3 controllers have been working well since. I have noticed that the control seems a bit more responsive than the OEM, but after a short time, I was able to get used to it. I have seen reports of these controllers eating batteries while in feedback mode, but I have yet to replace a good set of batteries. The ones it comes with I threw directly into the garbage. Pelican has also included 2 extra shoulder buttons to correspond with the 2 buttons under the action buttons. This makes it a bit easier for functions like the flashlight in Halo or some of the others...

I am in now way a heavy gamer, but I probably have about 10 hours on at least 1 contrioller.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just a got a Logitech cordless for $59 shipped.

My first impression is that the right thumbstick is postioned a little far. I'm coming from a big MS controller...I really don't care for the S Controller. If you're a fan of the S, then the Logitech may seem huge to you.

The response time seems very good (playing Halo) and the rumble is pretty accurate. I wish it could be lighter but because it has to hold 4 AA batteries, oh well.

Unlike the Pelican, there are no switches for channels - it does it by itself. I have a buddy who bought a Pelican and has exchanged it twice in less than 3 weeks so buyer beware.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would consider myself a pretty hardcore xbox player.

I LOVE the logitech wireless, i have no complaints when playing most games.. the only problem is that with games like Tiger Woods when you have to press the buttons really fast it doenst respond as well as the original controller. But this problem is only limited to a handful of games.

I would recommend this controller to anyone.

·
Registered
492 Posts
cmark, where did you find the controller for that price? The lowest I could find was more than that from Hushgames.com. I cancelled my order after watching my order sit in "processing" for a week when they said "usually ships in 48 hours" and never returned my emails or calls.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmark

Unlike the Pelican, there are no switches for channels - it does it by itself. I have a buddy who bought a Pelican and has exchanged it twice in less than 3 weeks so buyer beware.
Pelican is aware of this problem and has exchanged the proper parts for me without trouble. It is an inconvienience to deal with that and I did make them aware of that, but they stand behind it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.