AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo2883  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24437669

Looks like Logitech just released the smart keyboard.

What does everyone think about it?

I wonder how well the keyboard integrates with Roku.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-smart-keyboard

I was wondering pretty much the same thing (although I have an AppleTV setup), it doesn't look like the keyboard is backlit though which seems like a glaring omission for use in an HT. I also wonder if it can be used to control Insteon devices?

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24438856

I was wondering pretty much the same thing (although I have an AppleTV setup), it doesn't look like the keyboard is backlit though which seems like a glaring omission for use in an HT. I also wonder if it can be used to control Insteon devices?

Hi polo2883 and Expat444,

The Harmony Smart Keyboard offers Roku control via IP. Your Wi-Fi network is scanned at the time you add your Roku device to your Harmony account, and the connection is established at that time.

Insteon devices are currently not supported via IP, but will continue to be supported via IR, as with previous Harmony remotes.

Regards,

Sylvain Durst

Product Management Team

Logitech | Harmony Remote Controls

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24439481

Hi polo2883 and Expat444,

The Harmony Smart Keyboard offers Roku control via IP. Your Wi-Fi network is scanned at the time you add your Roku device to your Harmony account, and the connection is established at that time.

Insteon devices are currently not supported via IP, but will continue to be supported via IR, as with previous Harmony remotes.

Regards,

Sylvain Durst

Product Management Team

Logitech | Harmony Remote Controls
so can I do the following?:

Harmony Smart Keyboard -> Xantech IR multiplier -> Harmony Hub -> Components [ AppleTV (via wifi/bluetooth), Panasonic AE4000 (via IR), Pioneer VSX1021K (via IR or wifi)]

-> Insteon IR bridge -> Insteon switches (via power signalling)

Thanks for your help

One last question, does the Smart Keyboard have back lighting?

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24439915

so can I do the following?:

Harmony Smart Keyboard -> Xantech IR multiplier -> Harmony Hub -> Components [ AppleTV (via wifi/bluetooth), Panasonic AE4000 (via IR), Pioneer VSX1021K (via IR or wifi)]

-> Insteon IR bridge -> Insteon switches (via power signalling)

Thanks for your help

One last question, does the Smart Keyboard have back lighting?

Hi Expat44,

The Smart Keyboard does not offer backlighting.

You would also not be able to place the IR multiplier between the Smart Keyboard and the Harmony Hub as the communication between both is RF.

One thought - you might be able to connect the multiplier to one of the IR output ports on the Harmony Hub with the proper 2.5mm > 3.5mm adapters.

Regards,

Sylvain

·
Registered
3 Posts

I cannot express how deeply saddened, hurt and disappointed I am that this keyboard does not have backlighting. Glaring omission indeed. 

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24537277

I cannot express how deeply saddened, hurt and disappointed I am that this keyboard does not have backlighting. Glaring omission indeed. 

Methinks you might be taking this all a bit too seriously!

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24538120

Methinks you might be taking this all a bit too seriously!
He might well be
but still, lack of backlighting has stopped me from considering this further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My melodrama is definitely over the top, but the facepalm after this unfortunate discovery was painful. I'm embarrassed for them.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24557749

My melodrama is definitely over the top, but the facepalm after this unfortunate discovery was painful. I'm embarrassed for them.
I know! It's like no-one even considered how these keyboards will be used or decided the $0.38 (or $1 or whatever it was) to add backlighting just wasn't worth it despite it being a feature on their remote controls.......

Oh well, I'll pass on this one and go back to the search for a product that will actually fit

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm actually not disagreeing that this is a major flaw - it was just that Absent's choice of words made me wonder how she/he would describe a truly serious event (like intentional bodily harm or malice) - there didn't seem to be too many verbs left!

But I do feel your pain!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Logitech sent me one of these to try out and to review. I think they failed to include just enough features to disappoint almost every audience who might consider one. I seriously doubt that anyone accustomed to using a Harmony remote or another decent universal remote will want to transition to this keyboard.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Is there a way to buy this separately without the hub? I already have a smart control hub and would like to add this keyboard to it.

Is it even possible to have the keyboard and the small smart control remote paired at the same time?

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24558213

Logitech sent me one of these to try out and to review. I think they failed to include just enough features to disappoint almost every audience who might consider one. I seriously doubt that anyone accustomed to using a Harmony remote or another decent universal remote will want to transition to this keyboard.

Hi Tom,

Have you and I been in touch regarding your experience with the Smart Keyboard? I don't believe so.. If you're willing, I'd be happy to discuss where you see shortcomings in the Smart Keyboard and share this feedback with the product management team.

Thanks,

Sylvain

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarti42  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24595478

Is there a way to buy this separately without the hub? I already have a smart control hub and would like to add this keyboard to it.

Is it even possible to have the keyboard and the small smart control remote paired at the same time?

Hi slarti42,

A standalone Smart Keyboard, which will be attachable to an existing Harmony Hub based solution, will be available in the coming months.

Regards,

Sylvain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

I personally would have hoped for a backlight and maybe a couple of shortcut buttons for apps on my HTPC but this will probably finally replace my frequently disconnecting dinovo edge.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard#post_24557716

He might well be
but still, lack of backlighting has stopped me from considering this further.
I decided that this wasn't viable for me so I just got a Galaxy Tab 2 and Touchsquid as it will control all my devices and also potentially interface to by Insteon kit too

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain  /t/1520941/logitech-harmony-smart-keyboard/0_100#post_24597035

Hi Tom,

Have you and I been in touch regarding your experience with the Smart Keyboard? I don't believe so.. If you're willing, I'd be happy to discuss where you see shortcomings in the Smart Keyboard and share this feedback with the product management team.

Thanks,

Sylvain

PM coming your way.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I just purchased this for use in my home theater.  The reason: my HTPC is in a cabinet at the back of the theatre, behind an MDF door.  I have tried three different keyboards without success until now (two different K400s and a TK820).

My likes:

1. I can use this to control my HTPC, projector and AV receiver (and other devices, but I don't have a need to do that since if not using the HTPC then we just use the Harmony ultimate).

2. Bluetooth communication with my HTPC has worked flawlessly thus far.  HTPC stays in the cabinet and I can now sit anywhere I like and control it.

My dislikes:

1.  You are tied to the (incredibly awkward) Harmony phone/tablet app for programming of the keyboard.  It's painfully slow, tedious, and nothing like the myharmony website.  Since it's a Harmony remote you should be able to program it via the website just as you can all of the other Harmony remotes.

2. There is no LED indicator on the keyboard or setting within the app to let you know how much battery life remains.  I've owned Logitech keyboards and mice in the past (for MS Windows) that communicated with the PC so that within the Logitech control panel you could see how much battery life remained (as well as confirm that your devices were actually connected, customize settings, etc).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts