AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really tied to a particular remote as I have several, 880's, 650, 700 and Harmony One.

Dusted off an older Vizio LCD and put it in spare bedroom. One of those Vizio's that needs Logitech to add the discrete codes, method "5" to the database. Did it before.

Just contacted cust support and they are telling me the don't have the codes? Really?

Used to.

Anyone know what's up or how I get Logitech to "find" these codes?

Vizio VX37L

Yes its an old TV. Yes this is before Vizio got their act together. But Logitech did have the codes in the past.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. Tried some other Vizio models and those commands did not work. Don't know why. Some of the threads recommend trying this or that model, did so, again did not work.

Thanks for the link. I emailed Logitech back and asked them if they really most certainly do not have the commands any more. Have not heard back. Everything I'm reading says "ask Logitech to because its Method 5" kinda of thing. Seems odd they are saying they don't have the database to use anymore.

Heading to the links now. Thanks again.

Reading link now, I do appreciate it. Seems like some Vizio's don't work with them. Still worth a shot. Just emailed Logitech.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks. Tried some other Vizio models and those commands did not work. Don't know why. Some of the threads recommend trying this or that model, did so, again did not work.

Thanks for the link. I emailed Logitech back and asked them if they really most certainly do not have the commands any more. Have not heard back. Everything I'm reading says "ask Logitech to because its Method 5" kinda of thing. Seems odd they are saying they don't have the database to use anymore.

Heading to the links now. Thanks again.

Reading link now, I do appreciate it. Seems like some Vizio's don't work with them. Still worth a shot. Just emailed Logitech.

Does any remote currently worked on this old tv? Not just discretes, but volume or mute? If not it might be something wrong with the tv, and not the commands.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Even the Vizio VX37L Logitech default works. The problem is discrete inputs don't work which makes activities pert near useless.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks again. I emailed them from your information on Remotes... I have not heard back this morning.

These codes are different, at least without looking, than what I remember in the linked thread.

Part of the problem is where the TV and remote are I have to go to. Not my home. Set it up since I wasn't using them at a different location. Trying to teach an end user how to program and test options is a bit much.

Thanks again however.

So this:

HDMI = C6
Device Code: 4.251 Function: 198

Is HDMI 1 or just general HDMI and then you have to cycle to the HDMI1, HDMI2, etc?

Vizio didn't make this very user friendly.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
All I have to go on is the commands another VX37L user loaded into our database. I assumed that model had only one HDMI input, but I see it actually has two. You'll just have to try it and see. It may take some trial and error for us to find all the correct codes. But since it worked before, it's just a matter of finding them again. There are only 256 possibilities, all of which your friend could test for himself and simply teach to his Harmony if he'd be willing to buy a $3 JP1 remote or possibly use a cable TV remote he may already own. Is that a viable option?

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning. I'm the guy who figures it out. Friend is not tech guy. He likes the Harmony's simplicity and that I can program them for him. I had to explain to him yesterday that he did not need to buy a new Logitech remote. The new ones would have the same problem because its the TV, not the remote.

I have a cable TV remote. I had a Radio Shack JP1 remote but that was a long time ago. I don't even have the JP1 cable anymore.

So you program the possible codes into the JP1 remote, test them, the one that works, teach that to the Harmony?

Yes it has 2 HDMI inputs.

Going to try and get to the remote and the TV this afternoon. Maybe. Might not be until Thursday however.

No new word from Logitech.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
So you program the possible codes into the JP1 remote, test them, the one that works, teach that to the Harmony?
There is no programming or cables involved. Just type each code: Setup 00000, Setup 00001, ... Setup 00255. When you press the final digit, the command is sent. Takes about 15 minutes to try every possible code. If the command exists, that procedure will find it. This must be done with a JP1 remote of course, of which there are about 100 models to choose from. If your friend has cable, he probably has a JP1 remote already.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks. Really appreciate it.

Just verifying my understanding.

This: HDMI 1 = 81

to test it would be

Setup 00081

?

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Actually no. JP1 remotes use an encrypted version (EFC) of the Function code (OBC) you see in those remotecentral posts. You need to use the EFC. Make sure you start with a working device setup code (TV 0178 or 10178 depending on the remote mode, in the case of Vizio). Also note that some posted codes are hex, so convert to decimal first.

See this list for a partial cross reference of OBC to EFC (ignore the function names, just use the numbers). Unlike programming a setup code, you just tap and release Setup, followed quickly by the 5 digit number. 81 isn't in my list, but its EFC is 00105. If you need any more, I'll post them.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewpost.cgi?1256484

Oh, and I just remembered, a few Vizio remotes are actually JP1 remotes already, like the VUR8 6100 and 66700). So they can send EFCs and can be programmed so any button can send any command.

Here are all the codes for your TV from the JP1 database:

Code:
OBC 	Function EFC
0 	Channel + 	00181
1	 Channel -	 00185
2 	Vol +	 00183
3  	Vol -	 00187
8	 Power	 00053
9	  Mute	 00057
10	 MTS	 00055
11	 Audio	00059
14 	Sleep 	00054
16	 0 	00117
17	 1 	00121
18	 2 	00119
19	 3 	00123
20	 4 	00116
21	 5 	00120
22	 6 	00118
23	 7 	00122
24	 8 	00245
25	 9 	00249
26	 Last	 00247
27	 Info	 00251
28 	Guide	 00244
47	 Input 	00090
57	 CC	 00025
64	 Zoom + 	00165
65	 Zoom - 	00169
67 	Menu 	00171
68 	OK	 00164
69	 Up	 00168
70 	Down	 00166
71	 Left	 00170
72	 Right 	00037
73	 Exit 	00041
81	 AV	 00105
90	 Component	 00231
96	 PIP 	00197
97	 PIP Size	 00201
98	 PIP Input 	00199
99	 PIP Ch -	 00203
100 	PIP Ch + 	00196
101	 Freeze 	00200
102	 PIP Swap 	00198
103 	Mode	 00202
119 	Wide 	00138

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks again.

00193 129 HDMI 1
00191 130 HDMI 2
00195 131 HDMI 3
00188 132 HDMI 4

So Setup and then 00193 and IF it goes to HDMI 1 input I know the right code?

Even if I figure that out not hearing from Logitech is concerning.

Cox cable remote support says this one.

VIZIO VX37L Television
This is the code for your model 1758

OR

I guess I could teach the remote the commands-numbers. Then make a macro or Sequence in Logitech's lingo. Make my own HDMI 1 discrete command. If it works of course.

I don't see any way to reassign keys on the Cox remote. I can reassign devices but not keys. At least no way in the manual.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Correct for the 00193 example. I doubt that particular one will work since it doesn't fit in with the other codes for that model, but any code is worth a try. My educated guess is that the mystery HDMI codes fall somewhere between OBC 73 and 96.

Incorrect for Harmony. The command is sent when you press the final digit on a JP1 remote. The number sequence tells the process or in the JP1 remote what to do. That sequence is meaningless to any other kind of remote and to the TV. So there is only one command, no sequence of commands, and only the resulting signal can be learned.

The only setup codes that are compatible with the posted EFCs and your model TV are 0178 and 1758. The others won't work. Note that I also mentioned 1758 would work in my linked post. I just chose 0178 because it's more common. It's built into 6 times as many remote models as the newer 1758 code. Perhaps the latest Cox remotes have dropped the older 0178 code.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So only way is to get Logitech to add it to a TV profile?

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
I don't quite follow. All I'm saying is the number sequence is meaningless on Harmony. You can still perform the sequence on a JP1 remote and teach the resulting command to a Harmony. You could also email them the pronto hex as I mentioned earlier. Once you identify the EFCs, we can generate the corresponding pronto hex strings. In either case, a JP1 required to go code hunting, unless you send Logitech all 256 pronto hex strings (the ones with several 4 digit numbers).

In the time it took me to write all this, I could have mailed you a JP1 remote pre-programmed with every possible command.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was asking once I figure out which codes work the only way to get the working codes into the Harmony remote is for Logitech to add them to the database for my logon.

Thanks again for your time. I appreciate the time you've taken. I won't be able to experiment till end of the week. I can use my Cox provided cable remote to do the testing.

"You can still perform the sequence on a JP1 remote and teach the resulting command to a Harmony."

If I can figure out which if any discrete command works I'll give that a try. If I understand correctly what the JP1 remote sends isn't until the final number in the sequence so what its sending to learn is the final IR command. I've never had any luck trying to teach the Harmony much beyond two commands as a sequence from a parent remote.

Jim

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Whatever commands you find that you want to learn are just normal signals using the most common protocol on the planet. No raw learns or sequence tricks required, just straight up analyzed learns.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I almost can't bring myself to telling you but I heard from Logitech this morning. They've added all the codes from your post on Remote Central to a test TV device for my database.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
No, that's great news. As you know, those aren't the right codes for your model, and aren't complete, but some discrete input codes are hopefully hiding in there somewhere. I think there is zero chance HDMI 1, for example, will actually do HDMI 1 on your TV, but any of the other codes might. So be sure to test them all. If you strike out, the "Miscellaneous" ones I linked earlier are even better candidates, IMO.

Do post back so I can update the JP1 database with the correct codes as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts