AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Logitech Z-5500. I like it pretty well. Yesterday, it stopped working. Specifically, everything on the unit looks good, but no sound comes out of the speakers. Test mode appears to cycle through speakers on the control pod's display, but the speakers are silent. (Yes, the volume is turned up.)
I can temporarily resolve the problem by unplugging the control pod for a while and then plugging it back in. Sound comes out normally for maybe five minutes. Sometimes I hear some speaker popping sounds during that time. Then, sometimes with a final pop and sometimes without a final pop, the sound suddenly stops. The control pod looks normal, but no sound comes out of the speakers.
So I need to decide if I should fix it or replace it. I'm hoping the problem lies in the control pod, which wouldn't be too expensive to replace--maybe $100. But I've read that all Z-5500 control pods are not compatible with all Z-5500 subwoofers. My control pod has this number on the back: 10002354-0450R.
1. Which control pods can replace a control pod with the number 10002354-0450R on the back?

I've considered replacing the Z-5500 with a Logitech Z906 or with some other system.
2. Can someone suggest a product (possibly a home theater in a box) that could be at least as good as a Z-5500 for $250 or less? I like my Z-5500, but I've heard people say it could be beaten by a similarly priced product.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
for 250 or less is tough... for the long run, you would be better off with an AVR. you can get an entry level refurb from accessories4less.com for ~149. reuse your logitech speakers (if they work. looks like they do and its your control unit that is the problem.) or add speakers from monoprice. there are several low budget combinations you can put together, not the least of which is their premium 5.1 for 169.

to keep to your specified budget, I would go this route: entry level refurb AVR (150). monoprice premium 8" 200 wpc sub. (89). reuse your other speakers. upgrade you speakers over time in the future.

the other option is to check craigslist.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a Logitech Z-5500. I like it pretty well. Yesterday, it stopped working. Specifically, everything on the unit looks good, but no sound comes out of the speakers. Test mode appears to cycle through speakers on the control pod's display, but the speakers are silent. (Yes, the volume is turned up.)
I can temporarily resolve the problem by unplugging the control pod for a while and then plugging it back in. Sound comes out normally for maybe five minutes. Sometimes I hear some speaker popping sounds during that time. Then, sometimes with a final pop and sometimes without a final pop, the sound suddenly stops. The control pod looks normal, but no sound comes out of the speakers.
So I need to decide if I should fix it or replace it. I'm hoping the problem lies in the control pod, which wouldn't be too expensive to replace--maybe $100. But I've read that all Z-5500 control pods are not compatible with all Z-5500 subwoofers. My control pod has this number on the back: 10002354-0450R.
1. Which control pods can replace a control pod with the number 10002354-0450R on the back?

I've considered replacing the Z-5500 with a Logitech Z906 or with some other system.
2. Can someone suggest a product (possibly a home theater in a box) that could be at least as good as a Z-5500 for $250 or less? I like my Z-5500, but I've heard people say it could be beaten by a similarly priced product.

Thank you.
Where are you located? Would you be interested in buying a used complete set of Z5500?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nonstopdoc1, no thanks.
smithsabom, thank you for that great information. accessories4less.com seems great! I've read online about reusing even the subwoofer with a receiver. But you either need a working control pod or you need a proper adapter to fit the Z-5500 subwoofer. And since my 10002354-0450R number is so strange, I'm not sure where to find such an adapter for the subwoofer. Do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for 250 or less is tough... for the long run, you would be better off with an AVR. you can get an entry level refurb from accessories4less.com for ~149. reuse your logitech speakers (if they work. looks like they do and its your control unit that is the problem.)
I thought I should quote you in case you hadn't seen my previous reply above.
I'm considering doing what you said and even buying an adapter to reuse the Logitech Z-5500 subwoofer. How do you think the performance between the Logitech control pod and the AVR will compare?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I thought I should quote you in case you hadn't seen my previous reply above.
I'm considering doing what you said and even buying an adapter to reuse the Logitech Z-5500 subwoofer. How do you think the performance between the Logitech control pod and the AVR will compare?
as long as the sub has an RCA input you should be good. however, it appears from the photos I could see that it uses a proprietary connector, so that may be tough to do. the logitech does not route video signals. although the logitech is THX rated, (and pricey), I think it was designed for a computer audio set up. overall, ( I think) you'll get better performance from the AVR, because you can change out speakers independently of the head unit.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
AFAIK, Z5500 Sub will not work with any other AVR. Control panel and Sub are connected by proprietary cable and amp in sub also powers the satellite speakers.

AVR can power the satellite speakers, but you will need a new Sub to connect to AVR

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
nonstopdoc1, no thanks.
smithsabom, thank you for that great information. accessories4less.com seems great! I've read online about reusing even the subwoofer with a receiver. But you either need a working control pod or you need a proper adapter to fit the Z-5500 subwoofer. And since my 10002354-0450R number is so strange, I'm not sure where to find such an adapter for the subwoofer. Do you know anything about that?
Is 5.1 a requirement? Your budget it pretty low, you could get by with a small amp and 2 bookshelf speakers, but hitting 5.1 for $250 or less, is almost impossible. You could do something like this from monoprice

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

And then this AVR from Accessories4less

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsx531/pioneer-vsx-531-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html

But I think that still puts you over budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as long as the sub has an RCA input you should be good. however, it appears from the photos I could see that it uses a proprietary connector, so that may be tough to do.
I've found an adapter that's supposed to work.

the logitech does not route video signals. although the logitech is THX rated, (and pricey), I think it was designed for a computer audio set up. overall, ( I think) you'll get better performance from the AVR, because you can change out speakers independently of the head unit.
OK. I was wondering if changing out a typical Logitech control pod for an AVR would allow the Logitech speakers to perform better somehow. But I see your point about replacing speakers with better ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is 5.1 a requirement?
Yes. But what you suggested seems like a good deal. I will still consider it.
Right now, I'm stuck between buying a replacement Z-5500 control pod and subwoofer (because I need to conserve space) versus buying a new AVR, which will probably take up a lot of space but has more future potential. But 5.1 is vital since this system will be used for movies and video games.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Yes. But what you suggested seems like a good deal. I will still consider it.
Right now, I'm stuck between buying a replacement Z-5500 control pod and subwoofer (because I need to conserve space) versus buying a new AVR, which will probably take up a lot of space but has more future potential. But 5.1 is vital since this system will be used for movies and video games.
That monprice and pioneer setup isn't the best in the world but with limited funds you have to make choices. At that level and essentially needing to buy everything its hard to get going but we all have to start somewhere. I would also suggest, checking the classifieds section here and on craigslist and see if you can find a deal on an avr or maybe some speakers. But at least if you go the AVR route, you can upgrade later on in pieces which makes getting better equipment on a budget easier.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Was in a similar dilemma when my creative giga works 7.1 started giving issues after about 10 years. It was probably the amp dying.

I bought a cheap avr and sub and reused the speakers and couldn’t be happier with it. I think new speakers can wait, maybe a future upgrade when your budget allows for it.

Plus you can just use a single hdmi connection instead of 3-4 analog inputs along with a sound card.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Z5500 broke after connecting VGA cable to extend

I connected a VGA cable to the pod to extend it before I saw the notice not to do so and as you have guessed, the setup stopped working. I can plug headphones into the control unit and hear audio so I'm guessing that part is working and that the problem of no sound from the speakers resides with the amp built into the subwoofer. Does anyone have experience with repairing this? I'm hoping that a fuse blowing resister opened and replacing it will give me audio again. Just opening the unit I couldn't see anything obviously damaged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts