AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my beloved z-5500s broke after 5 years of use. Got them on sale for $250; best investment of my life. I regularly throw large parties and the huge sub on them really is really crunchy and my friends love it. I have ~12ft ceilings in a very large living room (400sqft i think). Often my DJ friends will connect CDJs or Computers running traktor to my speakers and DJ my partys.

All that being said I need new speakers and I'm looking to upgrade. I have a little money but I would like to spend about $500 if I can get a better system than the 5500s for that. If not I can spend

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to own the SLS system and was very happy with them. However, their strength is not in playing bass heavy music at high volumes. They tend to get a bit sloppy at high volumes. While I have not heard the Fluance system I have to imagine that for your purposes the extra driver area of this set would suit you much better.

As for the subwoofer, I am not too familiar with them. You should try searching the subwoofer forum, they regularly have threads asking for the best sub under about $300. You could find similar threads about sub $300 receivers in the electronics forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eric!

So far this is what I've found to be my best bet:

*Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System

(Center and surround speakers are up to 100W; front two towers are 160W)

$300

*BIC F12 (150RMS vs 188RMS on my old z5500 sub; will it outperform???!!)

$220

*Onkyo TX-SR608 (Will the 100W be enough to fully utilize the 160w on the front tower speakers or should I get a AVR with 160w output?)(I'm finding the AVR selection to be VERY confusing...can anyone advise me as to my best option??)

$350

Total = about $900

If the bass is louder, deeper, and heavier with this set up then my z5500 I'm going to go order it.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittedPanda /forum/post/19546248

Thanks Eric!

So far this is what I've found to be my best bet:

*Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System

(Center and surround speakers are up to 100W; front two towers are 160W)

$300

*BIC F12 (150RMS vs 188RMS on my old z5500 sub; will it outperform???!!)

$220

*Onkyo TX-SR608 (Will the 100W be enough to fully utilize the 160w on the front tower speakers or should I get a AVR with 160w output?)(I'm finding the AVR selection to be VERY confusing...can anyone advise me as to my best option??)

$350

Total = about $900

If the bass is louder, deeper, and heavier with this set up then my z5500 I'm going to go order it.

Anyone know?

Excluding tax, shipping, cables, etc? No preference for bookshelf or tower speakers? Do you have to have 5.1?

My initial advice would be to buy the Z5500 again for $400. Or another 5.1 system that fits your budget. I'm surprised the computer system was any good for parties, but then again I haven't heard them, don't know what type of party it was, what sounds good to you and your friends, how loud you played them, etc.

Anyway no way you can get a quality receiver, subwoofer, and 5 speakers separately for $900.

I was thinking if you settle for 2.1 or 3.1, then you could get a HSU VTF-1 for 379 (BF sale), a Denon 391 receiver for $189, and a pair of entry lvl Aperion Audio bookshelf speakers for $260. Or those recent pioneer towers and a center for $289.

Edit: Oh btw there's some HSU bookshelves for $129. You could pick up several of those, then downgrade the subwoofer to STF-1.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmitts /forum/post/19547320

My initial advice would be to buy the Z5500 again for $400.

Do NOT buy the Z5500 for anything over $250. You can buy it here today for $200. I got my set for $150 years ago. I think they are fine PC speakers but think they are very unimpressive HT speakers. But to each his own.

BTW, I hope I never have 'crunchy' sounding speakers.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did you get a chance to look into the new Pioneer speakers? If you live near a store that carry them, head out there and see if it fits your taste. Here is a long thread about them:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774

Check some of the refurbished stores such as accessories4less or ebay store and find a nicely discounted refurbished receiver. Hit the subwoofer forum and check out the subwoofer. The Bic and Lava seems to be a hit now on the entry level subwoofer.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmitts /forum/post/19547320

Anyway no way you can get a quality receiver, subwoofer, and 5 speakers separately for $900.

I have to disagree with this statement. I think you could certainly get 5.1 with a receiver for $900.

Front Towers (2): Polk Monitor 60s Series II = $229.98

Center: Polk CS2 Series II = $99.99

Surrounds: Polk Monitor 30 Series II Pair = $79.99

Subwoofer: BIC V1220 = $172.74 shipped

Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC260 (same as 608, minus THX cert and VGA) = $319.99

Total = $902.69

So it can be done for your budget.

I can tell you that I was previously using the Z5500s for home theater/music duty, and that Logitech sub couldn't even hold a candle to that BIC, which I bought as a budget sub. I'm feeling low frequency extensions from movies and games that I never even knew were there. So while it might not be able to compare to the Epik Empire or anything SVS has to offer, it works wonders for a budget subwoofer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts