AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after reading so many positive reviews (by largely gaming zines) about the Logitech Z5500 i figured they would make a nice cheap match for my HTPC setup. (TV, Gaming, DVD etc)

Ouch - all I can say is don't buy these for HT. Of course everyone here probably knows that ;p

Its packed with features (DTS, Dolby, THX, LCD remote etc, SPDIF) but this is all fluff the main reason for a speaker is to provide a neutral response.

The main problems I heard were:

- Bass is very "boomy"/muddy an sounds like 1 note. Also its sounds slightly shifted in time (phase?). (not sure how/ why).

- I have very good hearing (upto 18.5khz) and can't hear any of the highs that are meant to be there.

I'm no audiophile but as soon as I plugged these in I was horrified, I put my Sennheiser Hd555 cans back on as fast as possible..

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamatt
Ouch - all I can say is don't buy these for HT. Of course everyone here probably knows that ;p

yup, we do

·
Banned
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicaL
The first "true" review I have ever heard for the 5500's. Thank you wamatt.

What are some good computer speakers then?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
2.0 -

Klipsch 2.0 dual 2.5s and 1" tweeter ($99)

Altec Lansing MX5020 3" midrange and 1" tweeter ($75)

2.1 -

Klipsch iFi ($199) - RSX-3s and silver 8" cerametallic cone sub

Altec Lansing MX5021 ($150) - dual 3" mids and 1" tweeter with 6.25" sub

5.1 and above -

Creative S750, S700 - 3.5" midrange and 1" titantium tweeter, 8" poly subwoofer ($399)

Klipsch ALX 5.1 - RSX-3 sats and RCX-3 center, 8" sub from iFi ($699)

Some suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv4
What are some good computer speakers then?
I recently listened to acouple computer speaker sets and I didn't really like any of them. Good for gaming and space? yes. Good for music and home theater, meh. I chose not to get them because some of my cheap bookshelves sounded better. Does anyone know any sets that are better than the 5500?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yeah, I would say the satellites on all the sets I suggested are far better than the one-way Logitechs, and the subs (if applicable) are much cleaner and don't need port-stuffing to make do-able.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I once took apart a Logitech "subwoofer". It was a 4" driver mounted on the inside of the cabinet with an 8" passive radiator outside in the floor firing postion. DECEIT!! Never again that brand.

I think Altec Lansing deserves mention as well for PC speakers, especially their higher end stuff.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I have a set of Logitech speakers for my comp. A 2.1 setup...Z2200 whihc I believe the 2300s have replaced.

I find them to be pretty good considering they are fairly inexpensive PC speakers. Obviously not as good for music as my Sennheiser HD600 headphones but what is?

Anyway, my Logitech speakers & sub are good and don't have boomy bass (obviously the bass response isn't up to SVS or "real sub" quality but anyone who thinks it should be is nuts) or lacking in highs or other complaints mentioned here. I'm wondering if the new setups are a step down or something because really, my satellites sound pretty darn good.

As for headphones I wish Sennheiser would make a new set using the drivers from the 600 or 650 with the design of the 515/555/595 line.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Logitech's niche market is in the $100 and below for 2.1 and $200 and below for 5.

Whereas Logitech maintains 1-way designs for all their speakers (3" Tangband drivers), the competition uses 2- and 2.5-ways in their respective flagship markets.

The main thing is Logitech exists in its own niche market. Altec Lansing, Klipsch, Creative compete at the market above that ($100 for 2.0, $200 for 2.1, $400+ for surround).

So there's nothing wrong with Logitech, you get what you pay for. No computer speakers are going to be as clear for music as your Sennheisers, but some of the better ones get closer than the Logitechs. On the meanhand, regular speakers sound "normal" whereas headphones still don't sound quite right even with crossfeed filters; the sound is just coming 90 degrees off.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti
I've personally never heard these, but they look good for computer speakers.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=3
I DO have a pair of the Swans M-200's. While they are more like a fine monitor in fit and finish (real wood veneer) and look fantastic, the problem I have with them is by being rear ported, and my computer being on a table top right up against the wall, they really don't have enough room to "breathe" properly and the bass is a bit muddy.

Still though, worlds apart from the little plastic putty colored box thingies that came with the computer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.