AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned the Logitech z5500's for bout 4 months now. I have them running off Auzentech x-plosion 7.1 cinema sound card via toslink and from my Mitsu 65" DLP via audio coax.

I have sen on alot of diff forums the trashing of these as just pc speakers. Well let me tell you, these kick a**! The house shakes when they are cranked, but more important than that it is CRYSTAL claear in dolby digital and THX mode.

Any similar experiences or questions?

·
Registered
837 Posts
They might be loud and sound clear but they don't compare to a reciever, speaker 7.1setup. They might work great for office surround setup but not for home theater.

But for a LOT more money you'll get a little better sound. It always amazes me how a $200 and a $2000 speaker sound. They both sound great but side by side there's a huge difference.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Things sound great until you hear something else that sounds 100x better, kinda what justin aluded to. Sure, they make a great little PC setup, but I can say with certianty it won't hold a candle to any low level or above home theater setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm using the Z5500 set as my home theater speakers at the moment...simply because I had nothing else to use when I moved into my apartment and couldn't afford a new speaker system (TV comes first).

They're a good speaker system...not excellent...but good (yes I've heard better). If it's all you have and you don't have the money to invest...they do the job well enough. I can turn it up loud enough to get my neighbors to complain. Sound is crisp and the sub is powerful enough to fill a decent size tv room.

If you have the money keep them on your pc and go for a true home theater system instead. I say that without a doubt.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin29311 /forum/post/18242953

Things sound great until you hear something else that sounds 100x better, kinda what justin aluded to. Sure, they make a great little PC setup, but I can say with certianty it won't hold a candle to any low level or above home theater setup.

This is so true. For my PC, in such a close up set-up items like the Logitech, or Klipsch PC sets work fantastic, but when you try to move them to a set-up like in a living room they fall very short. I had the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 and for computer it was great, inbetween getting my real speakers I was using the center, and surrounds, and while yes it worked, once I got the real speakers in there, there wasn't even a comparison.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonmmyD872 /forum/post/18242281

I have owned the Logitech z5500's for bout 4 months now. I have them running off Auzentech x-plosion 7.1 cinema sound card via toslink and from my Mitsu 65" DLP via audio coax.

I have seen on alot of diff forums the trashing of these as just pc speakers. Well let me tell you, these kick a**! The house shakes when they are cranked, but more important than that it is CRYSTAL claear in dolby digital and THX mode.

You should hook them up to the soundcard via analog rather than toslink, I promise you the opamps, dac etc is better on the soundcard than in the z-5500 control module.

edit:

Having used a z-5500 as my main speakers once, i will say, you will notice the drop in quality going from higher end back to these (I gave them to my girlfriend for her room, and i can really notice their flaws compared to my infinity Beta setup) but when I did have them I was pretty happy with them.

p.s. audioholics did a review of these, and while they obviously arent super high end, they measure pretty damn decent considering the price.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...and-conclusion

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonmmyD872 /forum/post/18242281

I have sen on alot of diff forums the trashing of these as just pc speakers. Well let me tell you, these kick a**! The house shakes when they are cranked, but more important than that it is CRYSTAL claear in dolby digital and THX mode.

None of us can tell you what you should like and how much you should spend. My experience with home theatre equipment is that you can never spend enough. Sometimes its good to draw a line and keep it simple and inexpensive.

If you are comfortable with the z5500s thats perfectly allright. But expecting other peoples approval, especially in this forum, will probably backfire, as most of the folks in this forum are dedicated to their HTs and have high end equipment.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I use them for my pc speakers via analog and they do sound good....for pc speakers. I couldn't imagine using them in anything but the smallest of rooms. It sounds like you're happy with them as theater speakers, but you can have much better without spending too much extra.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've had a set for several years now, and I use them for my HTPC, TV, and gaming. HTPC via analog, cable box via digital coax, xbox360 and PS3 via digital optical (switching depending on which is being used). I think they sound great, but as others have said, I don't have the money to go out and get an AVR and "real" speakers, so I can't really compare them to anything. They do great work for what I use them for, but a new audio setup is most certainly on the top of my HT priority list.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I actually use the Logitech Z5500 speakers hooked up through a Yamaha DolbyTrueHD/DTS HD MA receiver, and I think they sound great. Are they comparable to a speaker setup that costs thousands, as opposed to hundreds? Obviously not, but at the same time I don't have the money to spend on that kind of setup, so it really doesn't even matter to me.

I would imagine that eventually I'll upgrade to better speakers, but to my ears they are more than good enough for now. If your budget only allows for something in this area, the Z5500's are totally fine. If you can spend more, then buy something better. That's really all there is to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts