AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my first bulb blow at just 900 hours (PLV-Z1).

I've been good about cleaning the removable filter on the side, but while changing the bulb today I noticed two non-removable filters on the UNDERSIDE of the projector which I had completely neglected (and not surprisingly, were almost completely blocked).

If you look on the underside of your Z1 you will find two gridded areas, behind which is a fine mesh. A light vacuuming was all that was needed to remove the dust from the underside filters. I have no proof that their blockage shortened my bulb life, of course, but it seems like a logical conclusion.

I haven't had much experience with other projectors, but PJ owners may want to see if there are ADDITIONAL air intake spots that might also benefit from regular cleaning and thus extend bulb life.

-Colin.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheLidlessEye
Don't suppose anyone makes a really small vacum for such uses? (maybe battery powered)?
I've seen such beasts at computer stores. I have no idea how effective they are.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Use a shop vac and buy the tiny attachments that are made for cleaning keyboards etc. I believe you can get all of the above at sears or home depot.

·
Registered
718 Posts
How frequent do most of you folks dust and clean the filter. Monthly?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Couple of questions...

- Does the Panny AE500U have multiple filters?

- The manual says to clean every 100 hours--is that about right?

·
Registered
222 Posts
thanks for the tip...i will have to clean those asap;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JMan:

You can just clean them from the outside. I wouldn't strap a high powered vacuum to the bottom of your PJ, or anything like that. Just a light vacuuming is all it takes to clean them.

I also wouldn't recommend using compressed air on the bottom filters as I think you'll just wind up blowing the dust inside.

Brajesh:

I think the frequency of cleaning depends entirely on your environment (i.e., how much dust is in it). It couldn't hurt to have a look at your filters once per month and gradually determine a schedule over time: How long does it take until you can start seeing dust on the filters?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have an NEC LT150 projector but was wondering if I could do something similar, but I just don't know where to start. Any ideas?

Also will using a vacuum set to blow (and not suck) and using the flat hard-to-reach attachment help? It makes for a stronger current but I'm not sure if that'll bring harm to any of the components inside. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok, got my new bulb and checked the lamp timer. It was actually 657 hours on economy when it blew. Seems way too soon. And the unit didn't seem all that dusty...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.