AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make some long runs for several types of cables. My orginial layout is questionable so I am planning on redoing it, but need some help.

HDMI: Since this is digital, does it matter what the length is, provided you get the signal? So even if I get a 50 footer, it should not be a big deal right? Also, I got a really thick one from monoprice and it is just tooo thick and hard to bend and fit in the raceways. Will just a simple thin one work for a long run of about 50'?

RF Coax: Not sure what the exact term is, but I am talking about the cord that goes to the cable box. Again, if I am watching the digital channels will this matter? I can make a shorter run, but it is less desirable.

USB: Since this is integrated with my HTPC, I want to use my RF trackball (I don't think they sell these in bluetooth). So I need to make a long run of about 20-25'. I have read that USB really does not support this (and I can't really get a powered hub in between the run). However, I have hooked up a 15' extension to the original length, making it about 20' total, and it works fine.

Anyway, that is enough for now. I have a shorter run option, but it is along the ceiling that is 12'. Working on that last night just made me too nervous I was going to kill myself so I just want to go with the longer run along the baseboards if I can.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You may run into problems with the 50' HDMI. It's all or nothing with that stuff. Thicker is better in this instance. Monoprice has a nice FAQ regarding it, not to technical but ok.

USB High speed standards recommend no more than 5 meters (bout 16 feet).

Coax? No clue, but I would imagine it is ok in long runs, Just get it with some decent shielding and avoid interference. But I am guessing. Mine go all over my house.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozer2k /forum/post/14156177

HDMI: Since this is digital, does it matter what the length is, provided you get the signal? So even if I get a 50 footer, it should not be a big deal right? Also, I got a really thick one from monoprice and it is just tooo thick and hard to bend and fit in the raceways. Will just a simple thin one work for a long run of about 50'?

So don't put it in the raceway. I left my conduit empty...

Blue Jean cable has some info on long HDMI runs. I don't think a thin cable would work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked all over monoprice, but could not find a FAQ.

HDMI : So its all or nothing right since its digital right? I would prefer this. I am going to try another routing scheme to get the length down to 35' that I have.

USB : So does it just lose performance? Since its just a mouse and keyboard who cares? I was thinking about having a remote place for an external drive as well.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:

Anything over 25' is supposed to be amplified, but you can go longer than that...35' is probably fine, but 50' is a stretch. It's not the end of the world though...worst case, you have to buy an HDMI amplifier.

Quote:

RF Coax: Not sure what the exact term is, but I am talking about the cord that goes to the cable box. Again, if I am watching the digital channels will this matter? I can make a shorter run, but it is less desirable.

You're fine here....it'll make 50' easy.

Quote:

USB: Since this is integrated with my HTPC, I want to use my RF trackball (I don't think they sell these in bluetooth). So I need to make a long run of about 20-25'. I have read that USB really does not support this (and I can't really get a powered hub in between the run). However, I have hooked up a 15' extension to the original length, making it about 20' total, and it works fine.

You'd be close to twice the maximum distance for USB. I don't think it would function at all at 20', but you could try. Again, worst case is that you have to buy a USB extender. No biggie.

Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone know if that monoprice USB extension cable works fine with an xbox 360? Not sure if buffering would effect controllers like rock band drum set that cannot have timing issues (but are definitely not filling up the usb pipe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry, I was wrong about the USB cable, I misinterpreted something I read. 5m is the max per cable without the box. it has to do with a timing issue. i am editing my original post so as not to confuse anyone.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A 50 foot HDMI cable might or might not work. It depends on the HDMI transmitter chip, the HDMI cable, the HDMI receiver chip, and the bit-rate of the video signal. The larger gauge HDMI cable can really help. It's a good idea to test whatever cable you get before you install it. Also, make sure that you test the cable at the highest bit-rate that you intend to use, such as 1080p60.

Ground loops can have a big impact on long HDMI cable runs. It is best if all the equipment is plugged into the same AC power circuit. A professional would try to extending power from the equipment rack to the outlet that powers the display.

The bottom line is to try the cable and see if it works with the maximum bit-rate signal. The normal failure is sparkles and lines.

Randy

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've isntalled hundreds of 40' HDMI's and prolly about 20 50' hdmi's and they've never not worked because of length... it was always handshaking or a tip was busted or something like that but never length. All different brands too. Some thick, some thin... but i always tested them first before i spent the next 2 hours inside an attic for nothing.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Anyone know if that monoprice USB extension cable works fine with an xbox 360? Not sure if buffering would effect controllers like rock band drum set that cannot have timing issues (but are definitely not filling up the usb pipe.

Discussed and tested (failed) in the Home AV distribution forum.

My XBOX360 is connected to my whole house video/audio distribution system so I can play a game in any of my 7 rooms......well only the rooms that are within 30 feet of the Box
I thought the USB extender would work but I get disconnect issues all the time.

Conclusion, I have yet to read that anyone has successfully used an USB extender with XBOX360.

I have 35' HDMI runs, I have 150 foot coax cable runs both work fine so far.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/14157409

So don't put it in the raceway. I left my conduit empty...

Blue Jean cable has some info on long HDMI runs. I don't think a thin cable would work.

Cathan-

Where did you get that flexible conduit from? It appears to be like an 1.5 or 2 inches?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thats an "Active" cable. They claim it works like a repeater box. I wasn't aware they made them. I say go for it. for two you would only be out 20 bucks

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael /forum/post/14158522

Cathan-

Where did you get that flexible conduit from? It appears to be like an 1.5 or 2 inches?

Thanks,

Michael

It's 2" and I got it from smarthome.com. You can also google it for other vendors. The key is to look for "2" raceway".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts