AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My upcoming HTPC Setup will need a 20'-30' long run for the computer monitor cable. Looking at Frys, the longest cable they had was 10' long, so I bought two and hooked them together.

With this setup, I notice the display is noticably softer. Is there another option or a better way to allow the monitor to be this far away from the computer?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use a 25' vga cable and it's as flawless as a 3' standard length. Look on the Web at places like cablesnmore.com and you'll find 25, 30, 50 foot lengths at a reasonable price - good quality with ferrite beads on the ends.

I once tried using a 10' extension on mine and the connectors involved caused my picture to become fuzzy. It was flawless using either cable by itself, but connected the picture was soft. There are likely high quality connectors out there, but a single length should be prefereable.

Some members on this forum use very lengthy cables with good results. DVI is another story.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good quality cable will get you to 35' without any problems. If you have a lot of RF in the area- make sure you have properly sized ferrites on the cable (both ends). I've bought custom VGA cables upwards of 55' (well beyond vesa recommendations) and there is almost no skew present- almost...you have to have an incredible eye to catch it. Still, it's noticeable to professional calibrators. If you go beyond that I recommend going with an (in line) amplified set up...which of course has it's own (s/n) problems.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are Ferrites?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.