AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 55" (diag) 16x9 pull-down screen with 48" (vertical) of black drop material above the screen. Does anyone know who makes such a product or where I can get a custom one made? I can find plenty of screens the right size, but none with enough vertical drop.

Here's why I need the unusual screen...

My home theater is the parlor of an old victorian home. There is no wall without a door, fireplace or window. Thus, I'm looking for a screen that I can mount above the pocket doors between the parlor and dining room. The screen will need to pull down a considerable distance to be at the correct viewing height.

I'd love to have a larger screen but the room only allows a coffee table projector with a max throw of 7.5 feet. (13 feet viewing distance) Using something like an Optoma HD80, I can achieve a 55" image without needing to buy an expensive short throw lens. An LCD panel would be around the same size and price but would permanently block the pocket door opening.

Any ideas where to get a screen with a lot of drop? My googling has yet to turn up anything.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Agreed. I am currently spec'ing my screen and have CAD drawings from Da-Lite with a custom 6 ft drop. Don't think it's a problem, but you need to check.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
For that it isn't a problem. Dalite can do it. The only thing to note for some applications (not really for yours but I am mentioning it anyways) is that the more drop you add the heavier it will be. If you have a large screen to begin with, it can cause a higher risk of waves.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up ordering a Dalite screen of my specs from Cousins Video. There are probably many such vendors on the internet and I would encourage people to not be put off by the thought of needing something custom.

I guess I was anticipating greater cost and hassle and was assuming that most people got stock screens. After all, i've never needed to order anything custom like this. Kitchen counters and cabinets, sure... but screens?

It ended up being cheaper and easier than I thought. Simply emailed them the dimensions and they got back with a quote the next day... including a diagram with dimensions for confirmation.

In case I forget to come back and post photos, keep tuned to my home renovation blog:
The Filer House

1 - 6 of 6 Posts