AVS Forum banner
  • Take part in a short activity and share your valuable opinion on new design concepts for AVSForum! >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Long DVI Cables?

907 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  halcy81
I am building an HTPC system and have a ATI x300 video card using DVI along with a Dell Projector. My question is will I be able to get good video signal with a ~30 foot DVI cable from the PC to the Projector? The spec claims you shouldnt go beyond 3 meters or so. Does anybody have any experience with this? Can anyone reccomend a cable? I read about the DVI->fiber->DVI cables but those are ~400 or more and id like to avoid them if possible. I should also mention my cable run has a 120v AC cable running in it as well (i know it sucks, but I didn't do it), and I'm wondering if that will destroy the DVI cables signal or not.


Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
no problem at all i have done runs in confrence rooms up 50 feet with no issue's signal quailty is fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcy81
I am building an HTPC system and have a ATI x300 video card using DVI along with a Dell Projector. My question is will I be able to get good video signal with a ~30 foot DVI cable from the PC to the Projector? The spec claims you shouldnt go beyond 3 meters or so. Does anybody have any experience with this? Can anyone reccomend a cable? I read about the DVI->fiber->DVI cables but those are ~400 or more and id like to avoid them if possible. I should also mention my cable run has a 120v AC cable running in it as well (i know it sucks, but I didn't do it), and I'm wondering if that will destroy the DVI cables signal or not.


Thanks!
I'm running a 30 footer from http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html on an ATI 9800 Pro to an Infocus SP7205. It works great. RAM is very helpful and they've got great prices.
See less See more
I purchased my 25ft DVD/HDMI and 25ft Component from monoprice, they work great and the prices are hard to beat...
I've got a further question.. after getting into my inlaws basement it turns out the cable run is going to be almost twice what I expected.. I'm wondering if I am going to need a booster or repeater or what everybodies thoughts are. Here is the setup:


ATI X300 DVI

3 ft DVI Cable

Geffen DVI Detective

3 ft DVI Cable

DVI Faceplate

20M (~60 ft) DVI Cable

DVI Faceplate

~1ft DVI Cable

DVI->M1 Converter

Dell 3200MP Projector


I'm wondering if this is going to be way to far (and too many connections) to push a 1024x768 @60hz signal or not, and if so, where would I insert a booster at.. I'd like to keep this setup as cheap as possible but its looking like its going to cost hundreds of dollars in cables, wallplates, etc.. any suggestions on where to get quality stuff for cheap would be appreciated. Sadly monoprice doesnt have a 20M DVI cable, closest is 50ft which is going to be too short.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMomma
I'm running a 30 footer from http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html on an ATI 9800 Pro to an Infocus SP7205. It works great. RAM is very helpful and they've got great prices.
you payed way to much, damn $100! 35foot on monoprice is only $41 and all there lengths of cable were reviewed none had sparkleing
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcy81
I've got a further question.. after getting into my inlaws basement it turns out the cable run is going to be almost twice what I expected.. I'm wondering if I am going to need a booster or repeater or what everybodies thoughts are. Here is the setup:


ATI X300 DVI

3 ft DVI Cable

Geffen DVI Detective

3 ft DVI Cable

DVI Faceplate

20M (~60 ft) DVI Cable

DVI Faceplate

~1ft DVI Cable

DVI->M1 Converter

Dell 3200MP Projector


I'm wondering if this is going to be way to far (and too many connections) to push a 1024x768 @60hz signal or not, and if so, where would I insert a booster at.. I'd like to keep this setup as cheap as possible but its looking like its going to cost hundreds of dollars in cables, wallplates, etc.. any suggestions on where to get quality stuff for cheap would be appreciated. Sadly monoprice doesnt have a 20M DVI cable, closest is 50ft which is going to be too short.
You are being very agressive in your setup. If you were talking 1080p I would say the chances are high you will have problems, but since you are doing 1024x768 possibly you can get away with it. I would dump the faceplates unless you absolutely need them because you are already pushing the envelope and also each adapter/converter you add increases the chance for interpair skew and errors. If you were to get a booster, it would reside at the end closest to your display, after the 20m cable.


I would seriously suggest testing your whole setup before you string everything into the walls and also suggest you purchase from a company with a decent return policy like monoprice.


Instead of a single 20M cable, you can get 35ft and 25ft and stick a booster in between.
See less See more
I just did a 50ft run. Cheapest cable I could find. $50 I think - on ebay. Works up to 800x600. After that it sparkles. The cable looks very high quality.


When you start talking about boosters, I think you should start thinking xbox 360. I wish that I just resigned myself to that. I could have skipped a new video card for the CPU (which cost $150). So my total cost was $200 instead of $300 for the xbox. But I have to run dualview mode on my CPU which is annoying and I have some audio hum from a long rca run. Oh yeah - I also wouldn't be limited to 800x600 (which is not a big deal given the application but still.)


Throw a booster into the finances and you really make the $s less. I just realized that I paid a few $ more for the remote since I needed the receiver so my total cost was over $220. Also did I mention my video card makes noise (the on board didn't.....) so I am seriously considering pulling it out and buying a xbox 360. If I could sell the video card/remote receiver/DVI cable for 1/2 the cost paid - I'd do it.
See less See more
This is what I'm using for 1080p 60Hz and while it is a little expensive no matter how long the run it will perform just as will as a 1' cable.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I wish I could afford a fiber optic cable but its not in the budget currently.


Lets say instead of the setup above I go with:


ATI X300

3ft DVI

Geffen DVI Detective

35ft DVI

Female to Female DVI Coupler

35ft DVI->M1DA


I plan on having the electrician put a box in the ceiling where the cable will come out for the projector, is there some kind of faceplate I could use that could wrap itself around a cable (since i wont be using a dvi connector on it)? Just so it looks decent. I figure I could always get a white blank, drill a hole in the middle the size of the cable, and cut out to one edge of the blank from the hole so the cable would slide into the middle but thats a little hokey, are there any other options?


Also if I end up needing to purchase a booster for inbetween the 2 35ft cables, can anyone reccomend a good cost effective one?
See less See more
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcy81
I plan on having the electrician put a box in the ceiling where the cable will come out for the projector, is there some kind of faceplate I could use that could wrap itself around a cable (since i wont be using a dvi connector on it)? Just so it looks decent.
Just to be sure it didn't get lost, I highly suggest you purchase from a vendor with a good return policy *and* test out the setup prior to putting it behind walls or in the ceiling. It will save you lots of headaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrymeaway
I just did a 50ft run. Cheapest cable I could find. $50 I think - on ebay. Works up to 800x600. After that it sparkles. The cable looks very high quality.
You can't tell signal quality from looking at a cable. You need to see them in action or have it tested with a signal generator and/or look at the eye diagram.


I'm running 50ft monoprice cables right now at [email protected] with HDCP right now and there are no sparkles at all. Picture is perfect 1:1, just like on a laptop display.
Thats good to hear because I have their 35 foot DVI-M1 right now, theres a good chance then that if i combine that with another 35 foot DVI cable from there that I wont have problems running at 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcy81
I plan on having the electrician put a box in the ceiling where the cable will come out for the projector, is there some kind of faceplate I could use that could wrap itself around a cable (since i wont be using a dvi connector on it)? Just so it looks decent. I figure I could always get a white blank, drill a hole in the middle the size of the cable, and cut out to one edge of the blank from the hole so the cable would slide into the middle but thats a little hokey, are there any other options?
I am about to run cables for my projector, here at the best options I've found:


split bulk faceplates (1 and 2 gang)
http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=7011
http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=7012


bulk, angled faceplates (1 nd 2 gang)
http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=6659
http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=6660


There are also plates that don't split with just a hole in the middle ... I have a DVI cable that is almost 1.5" at the end so I think I'm going with the split on the ceiling and the angled on the wall.


Somebody on here made their own ceiling plate out of painted wood with routered edges, looked good ... I can't find the link though.
See less See more
great find thanks for the help.. that is perfect =)
I probably should have asked this earlier, but I need to run these monoprice cables through my walls, is there any concern of a fire hazard with them? I dont see or know if they are CL2/CL3 certified (if thats important?).. can anyone weigh in on this?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top