AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I saw a lot of comments regarding one of my post about the 10HT and is supremacy among the rest of the products in the market, at least at his price point.

Somebody talked about the DLP from Davis and the like, I supose it was a joke, not a real proposal. Sorry for the comment, but the Davis sales rep, during a comparision, at the end, asked me what sould be the price for a Sony for himself, and that says everithing.

Well, as I told there, every 3 months aprox., we test other options from different manufacters to see if there is something interesting out there.

Today, it was such a day, and of course, SONY is still the best, by large margin of diference.

The two contenders where from Toshiba, one LCD and one DLP, this latest with a 500 to 1 contrast ratio. As always, this two units lacked for the most basic functions, one did not have 16:9 mode, the other had no YUV input, etc.

All the projectors side by side, feeded from the same DVD ( Integra Research RDV1 ), same cables, same screen, etc.

As always happens, the native 16:9, the video processing, the internal scaler, etc, etc, etc, beats all the others.

So, as I stated in the beginning, Long Life for The King !!!

And there is still people talking about who is the best, and the only thinks they say about the Sony is his lack of high contrast ratio, and some minor defects, but is there anything better ???

And as everyboy knows, the 11HT is around the corner, ...

Next fight will by against the new DLP´s from Mitsubishi, let see what happens, more news in just a weak. The first sample we had a month ago, promised to be very very good.

Best regards, happy discussion and nice weekend,

Julio

· Registered
352 Posts
Hi Julio,

I don't know what you obtain with your posted topic. Sounds like a marketing campaign for the new Sony VW-11?

Did you ever try the Italian SIM2 HT200/250 dlp's. In my opinion they outperform the Sony VW-10 regarding contrast, color accuracy and general provision for home cinema. Also the integrated scaling works better for PAL than Sony's.

Best regards, Walter.

------------------

Graz, hometown of the Terminator...

· Registered
634 Posts
I've measured the color gamut and contrast ratio for both the Sony and the Seleco. The Seleco is better, and by a lot, especially in the reds. The Seleco also wins on screen door easily. The Seleco has power zoom and focus. For 4:3 material, the Seleco is brighter (900L vs ~750). For 16:9, the Sony is much brighter (1000L vs ~650). And the Sony is way ahead in pixels (more than 1280 rather than less). Finally, the Sony wins easily on price. These are all facts based on measurements and specs. Which is the better projector? I'd say the Seleco. Which is a better value? I'd say the Sony. Is either one of them what I'm looking for in a projector (at least WXGA, >500:1 contrast, 2000 lumens, quiet, good scaler)? No! And for that matter, the DILA doesn't pass my list either. So have fun arguing. At least the newest crop of units are good enough to fight over.

------------------

Steve

· Registered
352 Posts
I want to add that Seleco's units have in Germany/Austria a far better price than in the US, therefore the price-difference to Sony is small. Because of lacking HDTV in Europe the Sony has no advantage versus a XGA-dlp, which has lesser screen-door effect than LCD.

Greetings, Walter

------------------

· Registered
1,160 Posts
It's interesting that JVC has essentially no marketing or presence in Europe because it's rarely mentioned in Europen posts at all, and there don't seem to be any dealers or showrooms there with D-ILAs, let alone calibrated models to compare. And yet in the U.S. I have not seen any DLP or LCD projector that comes close to the picture quality of an optimized D-ILA FPTV, short of E-Cinema $$$ models.

It's great that the market keeps moving forward, and the 11HT does indeed appear to address the shortcomings of the 10HT, which does already have much to recommend it for HT use.

And of course many other brands of LCD and DLP FPTVs seem to be regularly improving the contrast level and scalers, making them more competitive every day for HT use, especially taking into account price, size, bulb life/cost into consideration.

-Dean.

· Registered
86 Posts
Here in Brazil, I've compaired the HT200 x 10HT, I saw the differences that Steve5097 wrote, but the prices here are preety high. US$ 14950 (HT200) x US$ 8000 (10HT). Is the HT200 two times better than 10HT? Of course no, that's why I've chosen the 10HT... I saw the Sony 50HTU for the price of 17500, and I think that if I had to choose at this price range, I'd go to the CRT projector.

Paulo

· Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't think anyone here has ever seriously considered the VW10HT king. It's a good value projector for the currently heavily discounted asking price, and it has some very nice, user friendly features. It's also very stable compared to some of the operationally quirky digital projectors out there.

But in terms of pure picture quality and realism, many digital projectors beat it. That's not to say that it isn't the best choice if price, quietness, and ease of set up are what you value most. But if ultimate picture quality is what you're after, there are better, albeit more complex, digital projection system choices.

· Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PF:
I don't think anyone here has ever seriously considered the VW10HT king. It's a good value projector for the currently heavily discounted asking price, and it has some very nice, user friendly features. It's also very stable compared to some of the operationally quirky digital projectors out there.

But in terms of pure picture quality and realism, many digital projectors beat it. That's not to say that it isn't the best choice if price, quietness, and ease of set up are what you value most. But if ultimate picture quality is what you're after, there are better, albeit more complex, digital projection system choices.
Good analogy! There is currently no king it is all based on what your needs are. That is what is hard for a new buyer to assess, understanding what their real needs of a projector are and how to compare and reconcile the compromises.

Regards,

Brian

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Regarding the Seleco, yes I have test it agains the Sony, both the 800x600 and the 1.024 x 768 models, and in a direct comparision, same screen, same dvd, etc.

In this forum you always speak about specs, but not about the feling of what you see on the screen, what the images tells you.

The Seleco´s had a very poor video quality, and I mean poor in terms of scalling artifacts, colors, 3D of the images, etc.

There is no way to compare it against the Sony in terms of performance.

And when you consider the price difference, I say to Seleco they can better go to the design board and work a little bit more on the performance of the product, because 50 to 60% increase in price and 50% de-crese in performnce, who whants to buy it ???

And yes, I say again Long Life for The King, the Sony HT10, and succesors, since there is no other digital projector out there that can match the performance of this unit. Obiusly in the same price level. DOnt come with the D-ILA, since it cost twice the Sony, plus the essential need of the D-ILA to have an external scaler.

It was not my opinion only, even the local Seleco importer had the same impression at the end of the test of this projectors side by side.

And I dont whant to had more discrepancy to this issue, but have you ever seen another projector rather than the Sony, displaying a good image from a composite video signal ???

Best regards,

Julio

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Please, the 10HT is far from king of vision. You can not compare it to some of the DLPs/DILA's. The Seleco would be by far and away the better more film like projector.

The screen door/blacks and color depth is for lack of a better word "Poor".

I am not a Sony basher and think it is what it is, and what it is not is "A Video King"!

That being said it is however a good performer for it's price and it's operational ease. To make it out to be better than that will make you look silly.

LCD just is not the best for producing good video.

If you want the King of Video you have to look at a G90 or an Electrohome 9500LC. Now thats depth and good vision.

DavidW

· Registered
352 Posts
Hi,

I don't know the list prices in Spain. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif Here in Austria/Germany the Sony VW-10HT and the Seleco SIM HT200 have nearly the same price. Spain is also a member of the EC, has also the Euro - so no extra taxes should be added!

I think that everybody who has a feeling for color accuracy will prefer the SIM. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

At my exclusive HT-dealer the SIM HT200 is the star http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif among the digital projectors. It makes even a good picture in comparison to a big Barco CRT. He also had the VW-10HT. But the bad contrast ratio was the dealkiller for me 1 year ago.

I will now buy the new SIM HT200DM. Cost is no object for me, but a CRT is too big and the DILA's are too noisy. The next step will be an outboard-scaler like the Vigatech or the new Faroujda NRS.

Best regards, Walter

------------------

· Registered
733 Posts
I have a/b ed the Sony aganst the Runco DLP (SVGA version) using an interlaced source and preferred the Runco. The room was set up for HT and no ambient light. Viewing distance from the screen was about 20 feet - 16:9 screen (hi-gain) about 7 feet wide. Both projectors looked very good, however, the Runco had more punch to it. The extra resolution of the Sony didn't help it for DVD. HDTV may be a different issue. I preferred the Runco, albeit, it was considerably more expensive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - If there was a clear winner then there would be no argument - everyone would aspire to purchase that one particular projector.

I notice you didn't mention issues like dead pixels and green blobs etc. The Sony has a problem with screen door as well if you have limited space. For the price it sells for in the States, it is no doubt a bargain, but that has to be determined by the potential purchaser.

Oh, by the way. The internal scaling of the Infocus LP350 is much better than the Sony's. It is easily demonstrable try chapter 6 (I think) of Rules of Engagement where Tommy Lee Jones walks onto the porch of the house Samuel L. Jackson lives in and watch the blinds in the window. With the LP 350 they are rock solid, with the Sony - well get out your surfboard!

Just my experience.

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

· Registered
175 Posts
I have great difficulty regarding any of your posts Julio since you clearly have Sony fetish. You may never admit (to yourself) that another projector produces a better image. You're all ready to claim the 11 is the "new king" and it isn't even out yet.

So, we know, we know: you like the Sony.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.