AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up with a promotional deal w/ Direct Tv after seeing how great it was at a friends. I assumed that my Direct TV setup would be equivalent to his. It's not.

My problem is when I change channels there is a long pause (screen goes blank for 2-3 seconds) which is very annoying.

Best Buy gave me the "Phillips DSX 5500" receiver. I'm not convinced it is the receiver (I think it is though) but after calling Direct TV I was told that some older receivers need to download some info every time a channel is changed and newer ones cache the info and therefore change channels very quickly. When I called Phillips they said that it wasn't their receiver causing the problem (what a surprise) but possibly my signal strength (which is VERY high, most transponders are over 90).

It's the receiver, right?

One option is... They said they'd take back the Phillips and give me an "RCA DRD 435 RH." Does anyone know if this one is any better. I don't care half as much about most features, just want to quickly change channels.

Thanks for listening!

-B

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I just went to my SONY HD-200 Hgh Definition IRD ( read expensive ) and there is a 2-3 second delay when you change channels. DBS is a digital bit stream. When you change channels the satellite may need to change transponders and sometimes polarities. At any rate the delay is the time it takes for the MPEG decoding chip to lock on to the digital signal and begin decoding it. The " problem " is built into the technology. Digital cable has a similar problem although in my experience it takes the decoding box longer to lock on to cable's digital signal than an IRD does. I have no idea if the Philips IRD is better or worse in this regard than the RCA. I am surprised you find this so disturbing. I have never heard anyone complain about it. You must be one impulsive fellow.

Alan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I still currently have digital cable and it changes channels in less than half the time.

The fact that I've seen it respond so much faster with a Hughes receiver is why I question mine.

-B

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:
The fact that I've seen it respond so much faster with a Hughes receiver is why I question mine.
I'm still using two 4+ year old Hughes receivers that change channels much faster than my

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It all depends on the box. I have some older RCA's that change channels quite quickly, but some new models that take 2-3 times as long to change the channel. My Ultimate TV took 3x longer than my slowest regular IRD. Quite a bit of stuff happens when you change the channel on a Directv system including just tuning the frequency but also getting the right key to decrypt the signal and possibly information about the program being displayed. I don't think it has so much to do with the age of the box, more the optimization of the operation. I haven't seen a DRD435 but my DRD480's and 440's were pretty quick.

-Trouble

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.