AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently redoing a section of the house for a dedicated HT room.

We are putting the sub behind the listening position, as it sounds better in the room. How the issue is... I don't want to plug the $800 sub directly into the wall. My entire HT is plugged into a expensive power condition/surge protector. I would also like my sub plugged into it... however its roughly 20ft away.

Would it be wise to get a 20ft power cable and run it through the wall and to the power conditioner? If so what cable would you guys recommend? The one that came with my sub is VERY thick.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I made my own from home depot cables - they have a large selection of wires - tell them what you are doing and they can help.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Panamax and Monster Power make smaller conditioners/ surge protectors just for subwoofers that plug into your receptacle next to the subwoofer for a clean installation.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You can't run an extension cord inside a wall. You will need to wire it up like the wall mounted TV's. You get a wall male AC socket and use romex inside the wall.

Which may also help reduce ground-loop problems.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ime adding long runs of extension cord also isn't the optimum idea. Adding anther outlet is. longer cords can burn out equipment unless you use alot of copper.

·
Registered
83 Posts
curious on your outcome.... struggling at the moment on what I'm going to do with a remote AV rack w/ power conditioner and a powered sub.

As someone mentioned, Panamax has those special boxes / cables that let you "extend" the reach of your conditioned power - looks to me like its nothing more than a locking receptical & mating plug (like you might find on a generator) and then you run standard romex through your wall to a (now) dedicated outlet - basically you've created an in-wall extension cord - afterall, isn't that what all our outlets effectively are - extension cords from the breaker box

I think I'm going to Lowes in the morning to find some of these locking plugs/sockets and make a run back from my sub location and my panel back to the rack and create a way to plug into whatever power conditioner I finally end up getting.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts