AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my current projector setup. This entire post is about passing video over hdmi, no audio needed.

I currently have a component switchbox that runs a component cable 50ft through walls and my attic to my projector.

I can get some mild interference at times and get some slight waviness and would like to switch to a digital cable. No I have not tested each component one by one to eliminate the source, BUT I also want to get my pc hooked up to the projector as well so I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone.

On to my question: My PC is about 50 feet (cable run length) from my (future)switchbox. Then the switchbox is of course about 50ft from my projector.

If I purchase a 50ft DVI to HDMI cable and run it from PC to the switchbox and then run a 50ft HDMI/HDMI cable from switchbox to my projector will any active switchbox repeat the signal so it doesnt degrade? Is it necessary to repeat the signal when going over those ranges? Can I expect full 1080p signal at that range? I am only running video and not audio. I am going to run an optical audio cable parallel to the dvi/hdmi to my switchbox/reciever.

Will I need 22 awg cables for each of those runs or will 24 work? I'm not really able to buy two $60 22 awg cables right now...

Any feedback on this setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: It seems a couple reputable sites sell 24 awg DVI to HDMI 50 ft cables. Are all these "we sell it but really shouldnt because it doesnt work" or is a 24 awg really feasible at this length?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The reviews at monoprice for their 50ft cable are all positive. I bought one and have run it in the wall but haven't used it yet (was for future setup and had nothing to test it with) so I hope they are correct!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Without error correction, I doubt that two 50-foot runs will work with any regular HDMI cable.

CJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update on how my setup went. I have a 63 foot run to my switchbox and a 55 foot run to my projector and it works great. Heres my setup if anyone is curious in the future.

All this is purchased from monoprice.

First I bought the 10 foot 24 awg DVI to hdmi cable to go from my pc (evga nvidia 9800 gtx) to the wall. Then I used the VERY reasonably priced hdmi over cat5/6 wall plates. Ran two 50' cat6 UTP cables to the output hdmi wallplate, then a 3 foot 24 awg hdmi cable from the wall to the monoprice 4x1 hdmi switch. Then back out another 3 foot 24 awg hdmi cable to another wallplate, to 50' cat 6, to another wallplate, then 1.5 foot 28 awg hdmi cable to my projector.

Works like a charm, great signal, no drops, just wonderful!

You could probably use smaller awg wires than the 24, but I wanted to be very sure the cables would work. The red light on the wallplates glows VERY brightly, so its pushing a great, strong signal and lower guage would probably work as well.

Oh yeah, ive ran 1080p just fine through the cable. I only have 720p projector so it ouputs it at 1080i, but the signal is pushed at 1080p and works perfect.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
First of all looks like I hit it with using Cat 5 /6

Second of all - thank you for confirming those wall-plates work. I have 50ft run of Cat5e (hopefully it will work as well as the Cat 6 you got) and will use those wall-plates!

All in my cart right now just confirming one other item before I have them ship it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts