AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC/server is in another room, connected by a 25' HDMI cable.

Does anybody have any good recommendations for a good range wireless keyboard and mouse? There are a couple of walls in between.

My other option is some long USB cables and placing the receiver in the attic above the living room. Although this is not ideal.

I have a similar issue for a remote.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up the new HP Wireless Elite Desktop Keyboard and Mouse from Fry's recently for $46.

I love how thin and sexy the keyboard looks! It's based on 2.4 GHz tech so the range of reception is quite good.

Photo from NotebookReview.com

Photo from NotebookReview.com

My only complaint is that the USB receiver lights up when it detects movement from the mouse or input from the keyboard.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use a Logitech diNovo. Bluetooth. It gets about 30-40 ft. through walls. I haven't had a problem with it yet. Very smooth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksnake /forum/post/16975686

I just picked up the new HP Wireless Elite Desktop Keyboard and Mouse from Fry's recently for $46.

I love how thin and sexy the keyboard looks! It's based on 2.4 GHz tech so the range of reception is quite good.

My only complaint is that the USB receiver lights up when it detects movement from the mouse or input from the keyboard.

That is pretty slick. Any idea on what kind of range you can get from it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszei /forum/post/16975705

I use a Logitech diNovo. Bluetooth. It gets about 30-40 ft. through walls. I haven't had a problem with it yet. Very smooth.

I will certainly check it out. I have heard nothing but good things about the diNovos, but figured they didn't have that kind of range.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksnake /forum/post/16975686

Tell me about it! I own this and HATE that. I'm about ready to pop the cover off and break the LED.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Have not really checked the range on any of these yet, but just put up a brief blog on wireless keyboards.

http://links.amd.com/Remote1

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I too get very good range on my diNovo Edge.

To increase your range, get a regular USB extension cable so you can place the USB dongle up and away from the steel case of the PC. If it is plugged in down in back, cluttered around a bunch of cables and such, it will impact the range a good bit.

That said, I just have a small extension cable that lets me set the dongle on top of the PC case. As it is the range is good enough to work from around the house.

That HP would be awsome if it had a mouse pad intagrated into it.

-Suntan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/16977100

If you have an IPhone, you can use it as a remote/keyboard/mouse using the Intelliremote software. It controls the PC over your wireless connection.

This is a very interesting option. I was thinking if there were any combos that used the 802.11 signal (that'd be pretty slick, but would have no chance of working in the BIOS, which isn't a requirement). Although, this wouldn't be helpful for other people in the house.

The DiNovo sounds like the favorite once again. Expensive little guy though.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/16977100

If you have an IPhone, you can use it as a remote/keyboard/mouse using the Intelliremote software. It controls the PC over your wireless connection.

Vladd, thanks for pointing that out!

Many of our Intelliremote users have come to me and said that our software let them get rid of the Wireless Keyboard and Mouse they keep next to their sofa for their Home Theater. Since the iPod Touch and iPhone are so popular these are devices a lot of people already own so no need to spend $150 on the Logitech Dinovo MINI when our software does the same thing for $24!!

It also allows you to control any Windows Media application even if you are not in the room. As long as your are on the same Wifi network I can shut MediaMonkey off from upstairs or turn MediaCenter to Pause from the movie I was playing if I get a phone call.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The rocketfish bluetotth keyboard and mouse at bestbuy works great. I have my htpc in my basement and can use it upstairs out on my deck so around 30feet, 2 interior walls and 1 exterior. It is around $90.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts